Does server 4 need some map cleanup?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.

What should be done

Remove Aqua
10%
Remove Cube
16%
Remove Dogblu
3%
Edit/Ask NIPPER to fix Dogblu
14%
Revert MountCoaster to previous version
12%
Reduce Switchback to 1 round
9%
Remove TheGym
3%
Reduce TheGym flags cap to ~5
11%
Remove Steamroll
1%
Change Steamroll settings to the suggested ones (read post)
12%
Remove ProtectTheFiles
10%

Total votes: 160
Twine

Does server 4 need some map cleanup?

Post by Twine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Playing server 4 the other day, it seemed there were a lot of maps that people are tired of. I've been seeing maps rtved quite often lately, and sometimes rtved shortly after being rtved to (not including when a specific map was trying to be put on). I don't want to go ahead and jump to putting a bunch of removal and change requests in, but do any of you guys have comments on this?

Here are some thoughts on certain maps, not necessarily ones I think should be removed, though. Please comment on them and post your own thoughts. Not sure if I'm the only one who feels some maps need to be changed up.

cp_aqua
I've never seen this map played all the way through without being rtved. It is, to be honest, my least favourite map on the server. It looks awesome, and has some good concepts in it, but it always ends up stalemating at one choke point or another. In my opinion, it should be removed.

cp_cube_b15
I like this map on concept, especially since I've seen the related movie, and it's fun to play a round every once in a while, but it shouldn't play more than two rounds. For people first trying the map it's too confusing, and for people who have played the map a long time it's quite bland and limited. I don't necessarily feel it should be removed, i'm on the fence with it. What do you guys think of it?

cp_dogblu
I've only seen the attacking team (red) win this map 1/10th of the time, though the gameplay is pretty awesome. Should the map be changed a bit in EntEd (respawn times, adding a health pack or two) to give the attacking team a bit of a boost over the defending team?

cp_mountcoaster_v6
The fact that the map is separated into three sections makes it really confusing, generally not fun to play, and way too long. I think it should be downgraded to the version we had on the server before that has one area with four points (one point captured and locked on the defending team), preferably with none of the capture points ever locked. When we had the map on like that, it was really awesome.

cp_switchback_b5
This is one of my favourite maps, but the rounds last quite long. It seems it would be enough to play just one round before the map changes. From what I've seen everyone has fun the first round, but by the end of it it's too much, and it gets rtved at the start of the second.

ctf_thegym
Always ends with one team steamrolling the other team, who can't even get out of their spawn. It should be removed from the rotation for this reason, regardless of how idiotically fun it is from time to time (i.e. when you're winning).

ctf_steamroll
It's really fun to play, if you don't die. With friendly fire off, waiting sucks. Would it be possible to turn on FF, turn off stat counting, and turn off the autoban plugin(s)? That would rock. If not, this map should probably be removed.

protectthefiles3p1
It takes sooo long to win. People were getting quite tired of the map yesterday (myself included). I think it should be EntEd'd to have a shorter win time, or removed from the rotation.

I'll keep my eyes out for some good maps to suggest for adding to the rotation, but do any of you have comments on these maps or know of problems with other maps?
Last edited by MrBlip on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a poll
stabbyclaus wrote:happy bday. I also made a spray of norcal's ass.
ImageImage
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Re: Does server 4 need some map cleanup?

Post by Avvatar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 pm

A good mapvote plugin fixes all.
Twine

Post by Twine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Edit: removed unneccessary quote

All voting can really do is change the map do a different one, it can't fix the problems with a certain map. It also takes time to load a map, have people rtv, vote, and load the next map. This especially sucks when a person has to download a map, then download another map because it was rocked before their download finished. It's enough reason for a new player to leave the server. It's generally better to fix problems with bad maps, remove them if you can't, and find better maps to replace them.
stabbyclaus wrote:happy bday. I also made a spray of norcal's ass.
ImageImage
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm

I agree with steamroll. It's one of my favorite maps but it just doesn't seem fun with stats on.

Also I just saw this map "Billiards" today. I played it for a couple minutes. It looked fun but it needs some changes... why force you to take damage just to get to the playing field? also balls can easily go over the hole and just sit there for awhile.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Avvatar wrote:A good mapvote plugin fixes all.
Coming soon. Being a SM dev helps with knowing when big releases are coming. :)
NorCal

Post by NorCal » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 pm

I miss PacMan...... :ahhh:

it was a pyros jungle gym..

awe.. so lovely
loafozard wrote: norcal is less of a ghost and more of a forgotten legend.
windowsmaster22

Post by windowsmaster22 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 pm

What about voting for the next map? When I was messing around with SM I found that plugin and found it intriguing. Have you guys tried that before? Better than the instances which Twine mentioned. (downloading then instantly rtv'd out...Drives me nuts). Obviously, I don't know how that will work on a server as busy as TF4, but it may be worth a try...

I would have to throw blackmesa into the ring for consideration as well, but thats just because it never ended today and it just was driving me nuts, lol.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Pacman was so fun for Spies. :0
Blackmesa's okay, but when everyone realizes how fun the pipes are it just becomes a clusterfuck. A wonderful clusterfuck where the CP part ruins it.
I used Next Map Vote once, when people decided to vote for "keep" during an rtv of jump_hobo. Most of the time rtv serves the will of the people and nextmapvote just seems like you hate the map and are abusing powers to get it to go away.
at least, that's how i always felt :[
:)
Magesx

Post by Magesx » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:50 am

NorCal wrote:I miss PacMan...... :ahhh:

it was a pyros jungle gym..

awe.. so lovely
Oh shit, I forgot about pacman.

BRING THAT SHIT BACK, SON.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:30 am

Twine wrote:All voting can really do is change the map do a different one, it can't fix the problems with a certain map.
That's RTV. I'm talking about a real map vote.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 am

map management is fine but there are plenty of times when the server will go to the next map automatically. twine made a good post, i think he's right about a lot of those maps.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am

Erm, what happend to PacMan? why was it taken away from the rotation?
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all. - William Goldman
Vegetarian

Post by Vegetarian » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm

I tend to agree with removing all of them except Aqua. That map just requires some decent teamwork and you can pull through. As for steamroll, it would help if current suggestions could be implemented in order to make it more fast paced overall.

A map that I think needs to go or get some tweaking is that Bathrooms one. Let's face it, it's not complete and it's very confusing. Can't make it fun? Get it out.
Something goes here, but it's not important
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Yea bathrooms is way broke. No arrows to informer the user where the cap points are. Players getting stuck everywhere on almost everything. The toilet cap point needs to go there is no way to get out after you cap it. BROKE BROKE BROKE i would suggest just straight removing that map period. They should remove the name beta too cause that map is no where near a beta let alone an alpha version. But again thats just my opnion.
Im not random. i just think faster then you.
Cow
pl w+4 b
<b>pl w+4 b</b>

Post by Cow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 pm

It has been removed.

We probably should have announced that on this forum.