Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Re: [CS:GO] func_vehicle progress

Post by Chaos Wake » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Glad we're going the route of Hendrix and not Metallica
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:59 pm

ehh there not really complete maps, just a bunch of abandoned ideas, I wouldn't get too excited. I'm probably gonna try something all new for my first CS:GO "car map".

You don't need the wheels right? They're just aesthetics? I only ask because I saw you put invisible ones on the land speeder.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:11 am

Well need is a strong word, I'd use them in it's current state. Without wheels, the material properties of textures can cause weird friction to occur, such as the R2D2's constantly wanting to move in a certain direction; wheels allow a car to travel in a near straight direction atm.

KoD over here was actually experimenting with new surface properties for textures which fixed the odd friction.

I guess you could also apply a phys_thruster upward to make a vehicle float and have no ground friction..
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Spherix wrote:KoD over here was actually experimenting with new surface properties for textures which fixed the odd friction.
Indeed, my design does not require hinges or wheels. It has custom physics variables applied via the textures surface properties. This allows for brush to brush contact that wont produce odd swerves and changes in direction due to friction and drag.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Would your design, KoD, help with the drift that the wheeled cars like the Jeep have? (For example the odd Initial D like turning I showed in my video)

I honestly like the drift but its a bit strange to feel it in a Jeep-like car and it definitely wasn't a part of func_vehicle.

func_vehicle was honestly a bit stiff with turning, it kind of had the opposite problem.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes. The combination of changes you can make to drag, friction, rotational and directional damping and object mass can strongly inhibit the drift experience. The hard part is getting the perfect combination of all of those things. I still have a bit of drift in my vehicle, but it can be hampered down better if I had the time to fiddle with the settings for long enough.

If you have a vehicle on source that has 0 mass then it turns EXACTLY like func_vehicle, and it doesn't have weird scraping friction physics either ... but the downside is that you cannot ramp because you will not fall, therefore you will continue flying into the sky forever.

I've been playing around with it for the past half hour, moved the vehicle base over to a different mold to see how easy it would be.. very easy. Vehicle was a bit speedy, but depending on the map that flexibility would be fun.
"Another test of faux_vehicle, translated settings from my brickmobile to this yellow 60 second vehicle creation to check performance. Also a test to see if the impact and scrape sounds are gone, and they are."

My biggest concern is how easily surface properties are shared from client to client. If I remember correctly, all that is needed is a surfaceproperty_mapname.txt pakrat'd with the bsp.. but it's something I've yet to investigate for CS:GO. That will be next on the agenda.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Badass.

The video is eerily quiet while you drive though.

Is there any way of preserving the func_vehicle idle/running sound?(without needing a dozen or so more entities grouped together)
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Two sound entities should be fine for that, the game_ui that routes the controls to the car can play the ignition sound and play a looped ambient_generic engine sound whilst player is on, and stop it when they get off.
Last edited by KoD on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: ignore this editing :p
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Awesome job. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if you need some assistance with getting some of the stuff to work properly using a server-side plugin, I'd be more than willing to work on helping you out in that department. I know you're trying to avoid using them, but they can do a lot more than what's capable using only entities.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Hahahaha awesome. I was thinking the idle sounds would be lost in time. Those sounds are nostalgic, even the weird glitchy static noise that happens on occasion.

Also a server side plugin might be interesting if it helps at least revive a sort RH4 type server. Though I hope we can have it be publicly available for others to use.

It would also be cool to not need them at all and let anyone who uses the map be able to enjoy faux_vehicle at its max.

I guess it depends on what route Spherix, KoD, and the joe.to community collectively want to go.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am

Can we see some NIPPER prototypes already? As for developing, I always refrain from using server sided plugins as you should be able to play maps I make offline, on lans, etc. in my opinion. Plus, Vscript can actually achieve quite a bit, the biggest advantage I've seen so far is that server plugins can show additional UI/Menu's whereas map-sided stuff can't atm.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:17 pm

I might be able to get something out this week.

And yeah about faux_vehicle - it's no good if you have to rely on server side plugins. Gotta be able to bspzip everything you need to play the map.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 am

Cool.

I just found out Vscript has the ability to detect if a certain/any player is using his microphone or not. Scream powered cars anyone?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:25 pm

it begins...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =333664275

annnd I can make breakable parts to the vehicles AND parent some trees and shrubs and shit because hell yeah

So far the only game breaking thing is like someone else said- you can still control them when you die. Other than that it's just a whole ton of physics tweaking required for each car.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Sweet :).

FYI you can also parent rotating stuff and doors to them; make a working forklift if you want etc.

I'll see if I can fix the dead controlling issue if you're planning on re(re)leasing maps. Motivation is key I guess. Good to see you messing with it!