Tribes: Ascend now on Steam

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Re: Tribes: Ascend now on Steam

Post by tehENEMY » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 pm

no u
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 pm

a1dan wrote:Oh look something new that other people like better poop on it with my butt.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:13 pm

ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Yeah and yours is always poopy.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Well then more things shouldn't be so poopy.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 pm

"The maps are bad" is a pretty non-specific criticism to have. What in particular about them was so terrible? The most glaring problems I have with the maps is that a few of them are more prone to stalemates than others (Raindance's bases can become impenetrable on upper tier pub games, so the cappers will hide in them waiting for the other team to lose their flag).

I think the map design itself functions well for the game's style of movement and physics, though, and lends for some unique approaches depending on which classes you use. Some maps are easier for certain classes, however, that much is true.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 pm

It sucks because I wanted to like the game, since it's free. I even bought the beta starter pack to support them. But the stalemates drove me nuts, and I found all of the maps to be extremely bland. Every time I was at the loading screen it was kind of like "Fuck not this map" until I realized that I said that about every single map. The maps aren't the only reason I disliked the game though. I just really don't like anything about the game. The skiing is like surfing in CS:S, but it doesn't feel as fluid. Moving 80mph and trying to hit 10px high enemies out of the air that are also moving 80mph just isn't my cup of tea.
ImageImageImageImage
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm

a1dan wrote:Moving 80mph and trying to hit 10px high enemies out of the air that are also moving 80mph just isn't my cup of tea.
If you are not a man of action, then there are other classes you can play that don't focus so much on fast, outdoors combat.

I also don't really get the CS:S surfing thing- the skiing in Tribes is entirely dependent on momentum and fluidity, it's pretty much as graceful as your own ability makes it. It's a really exhilarating mechanic to me, especially once you find balance in your ability to actually hit shit when moving at speed.

As far as map "blandness" goes, I think aesthetically the maps tend to range between functionality and having some interesting visuals, but mechanically I think the maps are doing exactly what they need to be in order to accommodate both the movement of Tribes, as well as the roles of the different classes. There are vast, hilly vistas as well as more concentrated, close-combat maps- additionally, Drydock provides a good medium ground between the two, and is just a decent map in general. And these are just the CTF maps I'm taking into account, there are other game modes I haven't even tried yet.

My major complaint is that there simply aren't more maps, but it's really hard to knock a F2P game in this regard.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:40 pm

I want to make this run through Steam because Steam. I downloaded it through Steam. When I launch it in Steam I get a message along the lines of "lolol we see you have it outside of steam so we decided to run that instead fuck you and what you want". I renamed the folder it's in. It found it anyway. I went to uninstall it. I have 3 options, "play Tribes", "play Smite" and "uninstall all". Well fuck you High-Rez, I don't want to uninstall Smite, just Tribes.