Comcast, ATT, Verizon, are taking away an open internet

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Comcast, ATT, Verizon, are taking away an open internet

Post by scobywhru » Thu May 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Comcast and other ISPs are allowing there interconnects to become over saturated and not installing new peer connections. This makes services slower for end users. Instead of keeping customers happy they are requiring corporations to supplement the cost that the end users are already paying for an "Internet Fast Lane".

If you ever wondered why you have been getting worse pings and lag lately this is why. It degrades ALL other services and if you aren't big enough to pay for a fast lane you don't get the speeds required or the end users are paying for.

This will degrade and destroy independent game server operators since latency and jitter are the two killers for competitive online play. This would then require services like BF4 rental where you pay exorbitant amount of money per player and don't actually have control of the service or plugins. As an example we only pay $115 for a real physical server and a Virtual Private Server, we can and do whatever we want with them. This allows us to run custom content, game mods, and other services with out fear of sudden increases in cost or degradation of service.

I urge you to Call the FCC and complain along with your Senator and Congressperson. If not call Email them.

Classifying ISPs as a service like Telephones requires that service not be unduly interrupted and they must share there network with competitors fairly.

Rueters is the source.

EDIT: Added EFF Form Email Link
Last edited by scobywhru on Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Nightwolf

Re: Comcast, ATT, Verizon, are taking away an open internet

Post by Nightwolf » Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 pm

If they sell out like this I wonder how much so I could buy them for the night...

SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Mass Arrests currently in progress... :toot:
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Thu May 15, 2014 10:39 pm

the bigger issue is this will kill small innovative companies and services because they can't rely on ISPs to not drop packets and create a reliable consistent network. It doesn't affect big boys to nearly the degree of smaller companies. On both ends, small ISPs and Small website or internet service, many encryption standards don't work correctly if packets arrive delayed or dropped. Gaming is what I would imagine most people would care about here but it isn't the most significant issue with these kind of rulings. It is worth everyone's time to call the FCC and there representative to stop these kinds of actions. Like SOPA it is not to protect the consumer or small companies it is Solely for large corporations to gain an unfair advantage.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Post by Posts » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Very Good: https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/
Click on the Compare button, and the Change Location button, and switch between the two types of graphs.

According to something I read: when watching a slow loading video you will see a banner that links to it.

Also: http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa
ggg

Post by ggg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm

sending emails and calling congress is a fucking waste of time. these shits wont do anything until they actually have something to fear.

how about we just find out where the fuckers live and burn their fucking houses down
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:08 am

ggg wrote:sending emails and calling congress is a fucking waste of time. these shits wont do anything until they actually have something to fear.

how about we just find out where the fuckers live and burn their fucking houses down
Because murder is a capital crime.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner
thread killer, post spawner

Post by nightmare 101 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 pm

ggg wrote:sending emails and calling congress is a fucking waste of time. these shits wont do anything until they actually have something to fear.

On surface level, as one email, one person to one congressman, it looks like a fucking waste of time. But you seemed to have missed the point that these people only hold their jobs because people elected them , those same people also have the ability to strip their power . Logically, it follows that if the people who elected them don't like the way they handled this very serious situation, then that congressman may be out of a job.

I know you may just feel like a cog in the machine, but one jam and it can send it all to a screeching halt.
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:24 am

Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:48 pm

charter master race, inb4 rage at charter because you are rural and their rural service blows
Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 pm

I had Charter at school and it was awesome
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

I pay 40$ a month with the package get 60-70mbit down 4-8mbit up (depending time of day). Not gonna lie though there service used to be A LOT shittier; finally got their act together past couple of years.

They also warn you if you are gonna get DMCA'd and will withhold your info if you lie and say you won't download anymore. Pretty sure shitcast just says fuck you and sends your info off to MPAA/RIAA

I've been warned by charter for DMCA at-least 5 times on 3 separate accounts over 8 years. Never had any legal issues because if you talk to there customer service they are pretty awesome about it. Hell they even go out of there way to make sure you are bundled and save money. My bundle died last year and they called me up saying "hey we can get you this deal for another year with cheaper than previous and faster speeds. Went from paying $130 with 30mbit and basic digital to $160 unpacked to $110 packaged with 100*mbit and digital HD. fuck comcast and timewarner, I had to deal with timewarner back in NC and it fucking sucked ass.

constant 20-60ping on almost all servers and literally no jitter. plus HD game streaming during peak hours @1500/3000 bitrates (me streaming with upload, not watching streams) = win in my book
Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't remember having a single problem with it in the two years I had it. I think Comcast and Verizon are the only two major providers in my area, not to mention Comcast kind of owns Philly, so Comcast is what I have and I doubt that'll change for quite some time. I've actually been pretty happy with it until a few months ago, but their internet service has been pretty inconsistent in terms of speed in that span.
ggg

Post by ggg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Charter really has gotten their shit together, for the most part. I'm really amazed at how much they've improved. I've worked a lot along side them for 7 years and they're pretty much a completely different company in terms of the quality of service they provide. Their customer service can still bee ass though, but you don't need to call them nearly as much as you used to.

Meanwhile CenturyLink has increased the price of 1.5mbit internet by $5 to 40 a month...
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:20 am

ggg wrote:Charter really has gotten their shit together, for the most part. I'm really amazed at how much they've improved. I've worked a lot along side them for 7 years and they're pretty much a completely different company in terms of the quality of service they provide. Their customer service can still bee ass though, but you don't need to call them nearly as much as you used to.

Meanwhile CenturyLink has increased the price of 1.5mbit internet by $5 to 40 a month...
yall nikas be getting exploited by the ISP ILLUMINATTI
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."