A new direction for news!

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner
thread killer, post spawner

Re: A new direction for news!

Post by nightmare 101 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:39 am

Magnus wrote:I would like it to be worthwhile multidisciplinary news.

Or how about "Worthwhile news".

Come'on...

We had it going for a few weeks there..
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm

nightmare 101 wrote:I would like it to be community gaming news. Not cats on roomba's.
Then post some community gaming news.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Yooo I know its been a long while since someone posted in this thread. I've been thinking for a while and I thought it was worth posting.

Considering some of the developments going on in the community now, and some of the projects I know members are doing on their own... might the news function be better as a showcase for these developments?

Things like the real progress Spherix and KoD are making at creating the faux_vehicle, func_vehicle remake and finally being able to release the prefab.

Or the fact a Sven Coop dev came by to make sure we knew that he was implementing real func_vehicle into the Sven Coop greenlight release.

Or fuck, even just the fact NIPPER quietly released a CS:GO remake of xmas_nipperhouse that basically went unnoticed because it was done in reply to a newbie asking for it on a random thread.

Then there's also what's happening right now with one our ANCIENT ANCESTORS from the telnet joe.to era (THE ACTUAL NINETIES) dropping by looking for other members of his generation. Not to mention also revealing that his four year old son who "helped" him type on that same telnet is now roughly the age of our 2002-2003 era members. He could use the signal boost putting his quest to find his cohort on the front page could give(especially if his friends might just type "joe.to" into their browsers).

The examples I gave are just from the last month. So much still happens here after so many years(I joined in 2003) and I think its worth talking about.

Maybe that shit all seems relatively insignificant on like a macro, wider gaming level but who here really gives a shit about something that could just be covered on gametrailers or some terrible kotaku article? I feel like the front page news not having been updated since that minecraft-microsoft takeover(something I heard on facebook way before I saw posted here) is kind of a testament to how little relevancy that has to our experience here.

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I think there's something seriously powerful in honoring and praising our own achievements instead of trying to unsuccessfully replicate something that entire corporations already churn out(like Kotaku). The morale boost of having your work being put up on the front page of -your- community is -unmeasurable-, not to mention the life it gives to us as a group of people. It gives real meaning to your toil and provides a beacon to which people can respond to with increased support or at least praise(which is a type of psychological support anyway).

What I'm basically saying, the tl;dr, is:

Why not use this board AND THE FRONT PAGE we've created and that we own to support and celebrate the community that we belong to?

As opposed to trying to badly parrot what Kotaku and Gametrailers already do.

I know there was a little bit of this in the past through things like the Steam ID integration or the announcement of the old minecraft servers. What I mean is that we go far beyond that and make it a real and organized effort to spotlight and support the efforts and experiences of Joe.to members.
Last edited by Chaos Wake on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:42 am

One of the best posts I've seen on here. Make the news relevant to actual J2 activities.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 am

+1 to what the old-new-guy said
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

We could honestly create samples of what we'd want to cover in a news thread.

It would help with how we'd want to format the news and how we'd want to interact with it as a community.

Another interesting idea might be to even interview some of our own members about the work they achieve. Sometimes people don't think anyone wants to hear about their development process/struggle until someone asks.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Yes please make this happen, all of those are good news topics
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Shit dude, one of the first news stories could even be that Tuesday's Avenger map you guys are testing, or make it part of a larger news story incorporating the Sven Coop dev dropping by.

Its kind of ridonculous that all of a sudden the Sven Coop and Joe.to community are having this mutual interaction. First with official func_vehicle support then with someone like Tuesday's Avenger coming by and dropping his new PVP map.

I mean we've got basically four big things to work with.
  • Spherix and KoD's faux_vehicle work, and Spherix's prefab release
  • The On-Going Interaction and Collaboration between the Sven Coop community and Joe.to
  • "kat" from the old Telnet days of joe.to stopping by to find his old comrades
  • NIPPER dropping his new mixtape, uh I mean quietly releasing a CS:GO remake of xmas_nipperhouse
Someone could make a real fleshed out post detailing at least one of these and we could figure out things from there as far as how we'd want to format shit, when we want to put it on the front page etc.

It also doesn't have to be something that we make ultra-serious, this should probably be something light hearted we use to build morale and connectedness in the community. So no pressure trying to be some kind of gaming journalist or anything of that sort.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:15 pm

You could be really cheeky with it and structure it like a tabloid
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:You could be really cheeky with it and structure it like a tabloid
Giant blocky text flanking badly taken zoomed in images of the subject, relationship gossip and fake diet info on the side.

Maybe a conspiracy theory in there.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Srstaff, this needs to happen, one of the best ideas in quite a while.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:17 am

Congratulations Chaos Wake, the newest member of the news posters group.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:12 pm

dis aint news, yo
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Django wrote:dis aint news, yo
Let's make it news baby. ;)
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:13 pm

Eviltechie wrote:Congratulations Chaos Wake, the newest member of the news posters group.
Whoaaa. Holy shit thanks dude.

I'll get to work hahaha. Anybody have a suggestion on what they want posted?

There'll obv be more happenings as things go on but I wonder if anyone has a preference based on the topics I brought up.

For now I'll begin by posting about Tuesday Avenger and A Ninja's testing of TA's new map, since it seems like thats more in need of an immediete signal boost considering they plan on testing this Sunday. Not to mention whats more relevant than something thats going on right now and that j2 members are already participating in?

Just need the consent of A Ninja and Tuesday Avenger and I'm good to go.