Potential Shooting at Pokemon World Championship Stopped

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Potential Shooting at Pokemon World Championship Stopped

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

There were two idiots that tried to shoot up the Pokemon World Championship over the weekend. The two decided to post the two guns that they were going to bring to the Pokemon World Championship.

The two were actually invited to play in the World Championship.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Re: Potential Shooting at Pokemon World Championship Stopped

Post by Ian7 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 am

Esports has officially gotten legit
Scary tho
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:50 am

It is kinda of scary that these people had these type of thoughts to go shot up this major event with pretty young people from all around the world. There was a total of 929 players who actually played in the championship in three different age divisions. The number does not include parents, friends, and other people who came in just to attend the event.

If the shooters were not stopped cause they posted what they were going to do online for some dumb reason, this would have became an international incident which would have brought in investigators from all around the to figure out what happened.

I applaud the community of Pokemon players for telling the right people to stop the shooting before it could even happen. If you ever see something like this online you should tell the proper authorities, so that they might be able to stop it before the people go through with their actions they plan on doing.

I hope over gaming tournament host take their community seriously when there is this type of threat that gets posted online.

Do you think that other major tournaments like Dota, CS:GO, League of Legends, and other major competitive games with beef up security when they are going to host these type of events even if it is just Regional's and even Nationals not just International tournaments? I mainly talking events that are going to have thousands of people that will attend the event.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Here's the problem with everything you just said:

The tweets were two people being rednecks and saying "lol check out our sweet guns" and then making the unfathomably stupid decision to make a joke about something going down at VGC, which they were attending as competitors. You'll note the article even explains they were arrested for violations concerning legal ownership of firearms, not for terrorist acts.

They weren't gonna do shit (probably) and though it's good that the cops checked them out and are handling the bad things they DID do the narrative of "POLICE STOP TWO GUNMEN FROM IMPROPERLY USING STEEL TYPES, SAVE MILLIONS." is just sensationalist garbage.
Last edited by Neelpos on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Neelpos wrote: You'll note the article even explains they were arrested for violations concerning legal ownership of firearms, not for terrorist acts.
There other charges than just gun violations. Typically you will get bail for the gun violations. They are being held without bail, so there are more serious charges that are against them. This would be excessive bail which is against the Eighth Amendment All of the charges are not listed in the article. We will should able to know all of the charges when they head back to court on Sept. 1st.
Last edited by I_AM_SQUIRREL on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Which would be levied against them for being mouthy e-peen gamers. The likelihood of this having turned into an actual shooting is the same as if one of the 12 year olds on xbox live started sending your mom dick pix to get her to sleep with them.

That is to say, more than normal as they took an extra step to seem 'cool', but still entirely stupid. This entire event stemmed from a single tweet about "taking down the competition." These guys were buffoons trying to look cool, to jump from that to "confirmed attempted terrorists" is retarded.

For fucks sake this is 'MyFoxBoston', hardly a bastion of accurate and ethical journalism.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Neelpos wrote:Which would be levied against them for being mouthy e-peen gamers. The likelihood of this having turned into an actual shooting is the same as if one of the 12 year olds on xbox live started sending your mom dick pix to get her to sleep with them.

That is to say, more than normal as they took an extra step to seem 'cool', but still entirely stupid. This entire event stemmed from a single tweet about "taking down the competition." These guys were buffoons trying to look cool, to jump from that to "confirmed attempted terrorists" is retarded.
True, but they have to take the threat seriously even if it was a joke. Even if they weren't planning on actually going to do the shooting. These people are just .0001% of the community that get influenced by violent games, but the media is going to twist it and make the gaming look bad. The media has not figured out this is not what the gaming community condones and what we are against. The gaming community need to speak out, so that we don't get a bad reputation against us. People that are not part of the community need to learn what the actual gaming community is, they find out that almost 100% of us will never go out a shoot a bunch of people.

With the gaming community being attacked by the media and other people, cause the media puts a bad reputation on the community. As gamers we need to stand together to tell the media that most of would never do violent things cause of violent games.
All of the J2 community would probably not do something like this cause we were raised to know right from wrong.
Last edited by I_AM_SQUIRREL on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm not saying anything to oppose that, I'm saying that just because there was a possibility of something doesn't mean you have to believe the media when they spread the worst possible scenario like wildfire in order to get more hits on their articles. I'm just saying to check the sources before you go all "this would have became an international incident which would have brought in investigators from all around the to figure out what happened." A lot of journalism is crap nowadays, you get a way better idea of what happened if you pull sources and check out the context yourself.
The media has not figured out this is not what the gaming community condones and what we are against.
Oh my sweet summer child.

Go read any media outlet response to when they're called out on poorly researched reports, they know exactly what they're saying, they just don't give a shit. Media watchdog organizations have been shitting the bed since the 90s, as long as a story generates revenue and the blowback is minimal they're going to keep running reports titled "Are Violent Video Sex Games Like Mass Effect Turning Your Child Into The Next School Shooter?". Viewership became the goal, and most organizations adapted to chase the highest views.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Neelpos wrote:I'm not saying anything to oppose that, I'm saying that just because there was a possibility of something doesn't mean you have to believe the media when they spread the worst possible scenario like wildfire in order to get more hits on their articles. I'm just saying to check the sources before you go all "this would have became an international incident which would have brought in investigators from all around the to figure out what happened." A lot of journalism is crap nowadays, you get a way better idea of what happened if you pull sources and check out the context yourself.
The media has not figured out this is not what the gaming community condones and what we are against.
Oh my sweet summer child.

Go read any media outlet response to when they're called out on poorly researched reports, they know exactly what they're saying, they just don't give a shit. Media watchdog organizations have been shitting the bed since the 90s, as long as a story generates revenue and the blowback is minimal they're going to keep running reports titled "Are Violent Video Sex Games Like Mass Effect Turning Your Child Into The Next School Shooter?". Viewership became the goal, and most organizations adapted to chase the highest views.
True
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 pm

are you seriously saying that we need to distance ourselves from shooting suspects like people are going to start looking at gamers and saying "damn, those guys are shady as fuck, better get out of here before I get shot." people know that the vast majority of people who play video games have no malintent because they've got common fucking sense.

also, where did violent video games come into this? I see nothing about them in the article. why do you assume they play violent video games?
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Pokeman is a violent. I think we should ban nintendonts, and play wholesome games, like sonic movie maker
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer