Japan Passes Law Allowing Troops to Fight Abroad

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Japan Passes Law Allowing Troops to Fight Abroad

Post by narwal » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 pm

http://www.regionalposts.com/index.php/ ... ht-abroad/
Japan’s parliament has passed a law allowing its military to fight on foreign soil for the the first time since World War II.

The upper house of the Japanese parliament passed the law Saturday despite fierce attempts by opposition politicians to block the move.

The approval makes the legislation into law, loosening post-World War II constraints on the use of force by the military to its own self-defence only.
It'll be the first time Japanese troops fight on foreign soil since WW2. Had fierce opposition by the entirety of the public but was passed anyway.

Comment from reddit I agree with 100%
My personal take on it is that this is a very bad thing as:
>The way the bill was passed was through highly undemocratic means and an overwhelming majority are opposed to the bill.

>This will reinvigorate and be used to legitimize old hate towards Japan as Japans lack of accountability of their country's war crimes during the early to mid 19th century. Allot of this stuff is even beyond the stuff of nightmares.

>And it is basically adding more gunpowder to the already large powderkeg that is east Asia at the moment.
Thoughts?
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Re: Japan Passes Law Allowing Troops to Fight Abroad

Post by Ian7 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:40 pm

If they gonna go across any sea they better do it with giant mechs. Preferably Gundams.

EDIT: TOO LATE HERE THEY COME
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Japan today isn't Japan 1945, we'll have to wait and see what this means, though it's certainly a point of some concern that it passed with majority opposition.
Ian7 wrote:If they gonna go across any sea they better do it with giant mechs.
Ours is the drill that pierces Nanking.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:10 am

Wow...
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:25 am

Pentagram.J2 wrote:Wow...
Good input pent 10/10
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:24 am

Imperial Japan: The sequel, coming to a warcrime near you
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:49 pm

narwal wrote:
Pentagram.J2 wrote:Wow...
Good input pent 10/10
And mine was any better?
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:32 pm

you said more than one word

and there was a picture
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Nice
Bao

Post by Bao » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:49 pm

>This will reinvigorate and be used to legitimize old hate towards Japan as Japans lack of accountability of their country's war crimes during the early to mid 19th century. Allot of this stuff is even beyond the stuff of nightmares.
I kind of think this is what mainly is going to happen. I really doubt Japan is going to ever again be a brutal empire, but I know for a fact people will look for any reason at all to be racist towards them.

Remember when the Tsunami happened and there was a legion of Americans saying they deserved it for Pearl Harbor?

Its a lot like the paranoia about China, except in this case Japan barely even has a military capable of being on the offensive.

Most Japanese Self Defense Force members don't even undergo real combat training, more like disaster and aid distribution type preperation.

My completely subjective, armchair general opinion is that even with the JSDF's modern equipment, probably any faction for example fighting in Syria right now could probably defeat them in a defensive war. Compare videos of the JSDF to videos of the YPG fighting ISIL, or the FSA fighting Assad.

Actually let me help you with that, remember the Tsunami? Remember how the JSDF was depressingly incapable of even being able to help the Nation they were made to protect? Remember that other nations had to come help with the majority of the aid?

Now here's a video of the YPG fighting ISIS. The YPG is a militia made up of an obviously and extremely oppressed ethnic group (the Kurds) who are basically the equivalent of Native Americans in terms of how bad everyone tries to exterminate them.

They fight like the Special Forces of other countries and they don't even have a Nation-State or any kind of real social or economic power behind them. Their basic ability to wage war is already extremely above the majority of the JSDF. Despite also being completely undersupplied and having to for the most part use Cold War or even WW2 era weaponry (with the exception of supplies stolen from ISIS or hand-me-downs from sympathetic local powers) they have taken more land back from ISIS than anyone else. That's even with ISIS using modern(Late Cold War and Current Generation) weaponry stolen from the Iraqi army, including their main battle tanks and serious artillery. The YPG was able to hold their main city of Kobani for months and months until the US began airstrikes against ISIS, and after wards were able to reclaim the city and the giant well guarded hill overlooking it -by themselves-.

The JSDF couldn't even help their people make it through a natural disaster.

Japan is barely a threat to anyone except their own region of the world, and only because they may or may not possibly instigate China into doing something bad. (They probably won't because China knows better and the US is the middleman between them) The only real trouble might be that they'll get too aggressive navy-wise in the Islands surrounding Japan and possibly harass them and give some Pacific Islanders bad flashbacks from WW2.

I really think any paranoia from Westerners (my own people included) about Japan is just kind of subtle racism, leftovers of "Yellow Peril" from WW2. This is really only something someone who lives in the neighboring islands of Japan should be concerned about, or possibly Korea and China simply because of it raising local tensions. Just because Japan's Defensive Navy and Airforce are still pretty intense regardless of the fact they probably have no combat experience.

If you want a different perspective though, Quora says otherwise but doesn't really elaborate on anything or put anything into context.

Here's an article from the Japan Times about a similar topic thats kind of in the middle of perspectives on this. Basically states over and over again that most people in the JSDF didn't even join to ever fight and never expected to fight, that most of them joined to travel the world, to have a job, or do foreign aid work. Also that the JSDF will -need- better training if Abe's plan is for the JSDF to become an -actual- combat force and that the JSDF might even have a "mass exodus" of members leaving the force if the JSDF becomes combat centered.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Definitely agree. With this Law there's obviously going to be a lot of combat training and preparation for combat roles, but if the general public that despised the law is the same body that the military is composed of..
Yikes.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:03 pm

They better shape up if they want to fight them big ol ants
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 am

If there is anything that we learn from history is that

Nations forgive but not forget.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Bao

Post by Bao » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 am

Development!

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/l ... 16273.html
Leaders of China, S Korea and Japan meet in Seoul

The leaders of South Korea, China and Japan have held their first summit in more than three years, setting aside historical animosities and territorial disputes to focus on shared security and trade concerns.

No substantive breakthroughs were expected, but Sunday's meeting in the South Korean capital, Seoul, is a symbolic statement of intent by Northeast Asia's three largest economies who all stand to reap significant diplomatic and economic gains from closer cooperation.
Maybe I'll finally be able to watch Japanese TV on Fengyunzhibo again.

Maybe :'v