Dr. Migration or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love J2

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Re: Dr. Migration or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Lov

Post by KatanaRama » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Oh that reminds me, I got CS:GO guys. How do i play this game?
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Bao

Post by Bao » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:55 pm

KatanaRama wrote:Oh that reminds me, I got CS:GO guys. How do i play this game?
I've been playing CS since 2002 and I have no clue. 14 year olds who just started playing a few months ago destroy me.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm

The solution is simple in my opinion. We have to start really pushing counter strike. It's a growing game with a dedicated fan-base. I know me, hoovy, and techie play on the regular. We play with others at times (sasha, enemy, floodo, malone, lexi, otter, Gr¦m). Granted it is comp I know I would love to have a casual server to warm-up/just dick around in. Plus with the huge gap in skill level that we have in comp (from silver to MGs) it is hard to comp w/everyone. But having a place where the higher ELOs can teach lower ELOs would be awesome since we have that range already. I know neel has coached some of us before.

Also I have been trying to make new friends through comp, but it can be hard. We've really only met two good players who might join the community (Teemo, and Bass).

Yes we have a very active portion of people who play Dota2. But Dota2 won't build the community. We can't make a DS with it that has a high player count. CSJO can bring people in and then they can discover we have a Dota2 portion of our community and they stay/are more active through it.

Personally over the past six years I have taken a lot from this community while others have stepped up and helped build (through time, or $$$). I would like to volunteer my free time (when I have it school permitting), to help run the CSJO server. Whether it be populating (invites, recruiting people from comp), administration (bax, techie, neel I'll hit you up), or even running/updating it (through things like sourcemod, & adding maps). While I don't have the $$$ to help usually, I can donate my time.

I really think CSGO is our best option.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Bao

Post by Bao » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm

If you guys really want to try CS:GO I can helpout with making shitty (but hopefully fun) maps for the server.

I've already got a lot of experience doing that in 1.6 for MXS and I know how to work with CS:GO's authoring tools so I have the practical knowledge too.
Tokengekko

Post by Tokengekko » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:47 pm

I cant add much to the conversation but yeah i agree we need a game, I have only been around you assholes for 2 or 3 years that's not long enough don't let j2 die :P!
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Overwatch closed beta starts in a week.
Maha

Post by Maha » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Will enough of us be able to play at once?
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Wolsk wrote:Overwatch closed beta starts in a week.
Gross.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Bao

Post by Bao » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Will our (and potential newcomers to joe.to) computers be able to run it?
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I gave been trying to think of any announced games that might be a good fit for j2, but there is not a lot coming up. Maybe Lawbreakers, but that looks so generic and boring it might as well be unreal tournament. It doesn't help that not every game allows community servers anymore
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Bao

Post by Bao » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:28 pm

I feel like strategically anything is better than nothing at this point, provided its something people have fun with, focus on, and can make a genuinely novel experience with.

Like if we got the CS:GO route at least we have the strength of having been a mapping community and can use our skills to innovate a bit and bring interested people to the community.

Another example I have from MXS is when I tried to start my franchise it was a failure because I didn't have any programming experience so I couldn't really create anything new gameplay wise, and thats what people apparently look for in 1.6 these days. My friend Oscar(another MXS admin) though started up a server with a really simple mod he called Police VS Aliens, I made a few maps for it, and after just a couple of weeks its almost full most days.

I think as long as we just do anything, anything we're interested in and commit to it it'll work out better than if we just kept searching for the perfect opportunity. Really I think the big turning point opportunities people or communities hit tend to be things people stumble into on accident while working on just something simple people had fun with.

EDIT: I want to add that both me and Oscar basically minimum viable product'd that server success story. Oscar told me he made that mod with the most basic things he knew with Pawn, the programming lang AMXX uses and I can assure you I spent maybe less than 3 hours on each of those maps. So basically, even just doing the most minimum amount of work, the amount of work that legitimately fun and enjoyable, success is very very possible for a community.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:40 pm

We need to pull out our ace in the hole, The Locals Episode 7.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Jokes aside though we need to focus on pushing CSJO. Once we get it running again we should at least try to seed it every night (I did for a while, but since school started I've been slammed with work, it should calm down by December, if not then definitely by 2nd semester). Advertising it more is also an option, maybe some posts on /r/GlobalOffensive, or shit, just making sure we all invite people. Again and again people have tried to jumpstart this thing, but always stop trying after a couple days/weeks since they can't get a full server every night. The sad part is, we usually start getting a consistent player base of like 10 people before whoever's sending out invites gives up (for various reasons). Just making a consistent and joint effort should be enough to get it going again, and eventually it should become self-sustaining.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:We need to pull out our ace in the hole, The Locals Episode 7.
RIP Stabbyclause, made some cool things, moved to Kentucky, died.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:We need to pull out our ace in the hole, The Locals Episode 7.
Still waiting.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.