Music's Direction

stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bluefox

Music's Direction

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 7:30 pm

I spent about a day and a half researching music history and etc, and I have been seriously worried about Music's direction in our world today. Teens are becoming more and more intolerant of classical music, and people are segregating themselves into groups based upon music. During the 50's-60's Rock music was becoming increasingly popular and people loved it for what it was. Good music. Today people are starting to only listen to music they think "They're croud likes" Hence so many people like rap, and heavy metal death music.

Rap is not music. Many critics argue about this but it simply cannot go under music. Because it is poetry sang to a beat. Sorry to say, I personally do not like rap. People, teens especially, are being consumed by the "African American cultrue" and rap. The reason I put African American culture in quotes is because it isn't their culture. Just because a few of their people do like rap and sing rap etc, everyone immediatly thinks their entire culture is that what which is incorrect. The worst thing is, rap music usually does not promote typical musical causes, such as love, struggle etc. Rap usually promotes anger, segregation, sexism, and racism. (typically pimping hos and shooting and stabbing people)

Death Metal too disturbs me. More people are listening to this type of music also. This music too doesn't support good qualities and help people, especially strongly influenced people(teens) move in a good direction. Death Metal usually is about death, hatred, suffering. Which sadly to me, doesn't seem like much of an existance in the countries most popular in. What I meen is, in North America, Europe, and some Asia, Death Metal is more popular.....however in these countries, suffering, hatred, death, and destruction is hardly existant compared to continents such as Africa, and South America.

The interesting thing about South American nations and African nations, is most music from these regions, is happy and usually about hope, love, etc. Even though their lives are full of suffering, poverty, anger, regret, etc. Does anyone else find this interesting?

The bands that were once considered legands, and were truly good music, such as Elvis, Pink Floyd, and even classical music such as Beethoven, and Mozart, are being forgotten. Teens are being swallowed by awesome music, Rap, pop, and Death Metal. This seriously scares me.....because our future lies in the hands of these people.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Bluefox on Sat May 21, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat May 21, 2005 7:35 pm

Not at all. Everyone is different.

The first 2 paragraphs lumped everyone into a single group, which I highly disapprove of. So I didn't even read the rest.

From what I have read though, I totally disagree.

kthxbai.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Delinquent wrote:Not at all. Everyone is different.

The first 2 paragraphs lumped everyone into a single group, which I highly disapprove of. So I didn't even read the rest.

From what I have read though, I totally disagree.

kthxbai.

/.Delinquent
Its called statistics. The majority of teenagers do like rap and a large majority of teenagers do like Death Metal etc....I would post a link but I read it out of a newspaper. :oops:
Last edited by Bluefox on Sat May 21, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special-K

Post by Special-K » Sat May 21, 2005 7:46 pm

Most teenagers do like rap and most teenagers do like Death Metal etc
lol
"Guy in the front puts the bottle one, the rest have a man train. " - Emerica
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 7:48 pm

Darth K wrote:
Most teenagers do like rap and most teenagers do like Death Metal etc
lol
Lol Yeah I appologize for that I quoted that really wrong....re-read thats what I meant to put :lol:
Special-K

Post by Special-K » Sat May 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Np I knew what you meant.

There is alot of good rock/whatever bands today but they're in the shadows right now because rap etc music is the popular thing amongst people today. Just like rap etc music was in the shadows 20-30 years ago when rock/whatever bands were popular amongst people. Times will change and rock/whatever will become popular again.
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Darth K wrote:Np I knew what you meant.

There is alot of good rock/whatever bands today but they're in the shadows right now because rap etc music is the popular thing amongst people today. Just like rap etc music was in the shadows 20-30 years ago when rock/whatever bands were popular amongst people. Times will change and rock/whatever will become popular again.
I severely hope so. Rap is getting bad...and by bad I mean it is becoming increasingly vulgar/sexist/and racist
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sat May 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Times change. Thinking logically, what's popular today is bound to change, looking at culture in the past century.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Special-K

Post by Special-K » Sat May 21, 2005 7:55 pm

Bluefox wrote:

I severely hope so. Rap is getting bad...and by bad I mean it is becoming increasingly vulgar/sexist/and racist
Yeah I agree. The same thing used to happen to rock music a few decades ago (bands like the sex pistols) but they're only a small minority. Good rap acts (no not an oxymoron :o) don't use the words ho and bitches in every line. But it's a shame that the rappers that DO use the other "n" word and CRUNK BITCHEZ in each line are the popular acts.
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 8:01 pm

Darth K wrote:
Bluefox wrote:

Yeah I agree. The same thing used to happen to rock music a few decades ago (bands like the sex pistols) but they're only a small minority. Good rap acts (no not an oxymoron :o) don't use the words ho and bitches in every line. But it's a shame that the rappers that DO use the other "n" word and CRUNK BITCHEZ in each line are the popular acts.
Plus please don't think I am racist......that is the last thing I want to get across but the rappers, because they use the "n" word so often, which is a bad word as it is. It causes many African Americans who are into the whole "rap" scene the idea that it is ok to say it....which is horrible....now they have this new racial idea going on that Blacks can say the "n" word, but anyone else can't. The fact of the matter is, the "n" word itself is bad. And no one should use it. Regardless of race. Alls this is doing is segregating themselves. "Let racist ignorance be ended, for respect makes the empires fall" The statement is true.
Special-K

Post by Special-K » Sat May 21, 2005 8:15 pm

Bluefox wrote:
Darth K wrote:
Bluefox wrote:

Plus please don't think I am racist......that is the last thing I want to get across but the rappers, because they use the "n" word so often, which is a bad word as it is. It causes many African Americans who are into the whole "rap" scene the idea that it is ok to say it....which is horrible....now they have this new racial idea going on that Blacks can say the "n" word, but anyone else can't. The fact of the matter is, the "n" word itself is bad. And no one should use it. Regardless of race. Alls this is doing is segregating themselves. "Let racist ignorance be ended, for respect makes the empires fall" The statement is true.
Yep I agree, sorry for generalizing but most black people I've come across are extremely ignorant and racist. 'GET OUT MY WAY WHITEY' and 'LOOK AT DAT WHITEY OVER DER' are some phrases that come to mind. And it seems that alot of black people (especially girls) like to block hallways, speak really loud and be SO FUCKING ANNOYING!!!!! YARRGHHH

*deep breaths*
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat May 21, 2005 8:41 pm

You're stereotyping once again. I agree you said "most that I met" (in your voice) which is definately not most black people at all, maybe just a small section that you yourself have run into. Maybe it's your location, or their response to your attitude.

I cannot safely say one thing about "black people" because they are all different. They are just like whites, or oriental, or european. Everyone is different. There are going to be annoying people in any race, people that speak differently, people that look and act differently. So you can't label anyone.

My opinion. The world would be a much better place if people just forgot about skin color. I know that I still have some preconceieved perceptions in my own mind, but I try to get rid of them as soon as they arise. It's easy for me, because most of the time they are proven wrong.

/.Delinquent
Special-K

Post by Special-K » Sat May 21, 2005 8:43 pm

I wasn't stereotyping, I said that MOST OF THE BLACK PEOPLE from my school are assholes
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sat May 21, 2005 8:45 pm

OMG Special K the majority of African American girls do that at your school to? They do the EXACT same thing here....talk really loudly and yell across the halls, and say the N word every 4 seconds and love to say sentences that defy the english language....oh and block halls yes. But yes as Delinquent said...people should stop thinking about color....and the thing is many people do....its the people who are obsessed with racism and etc that are causing problems (aka the majority of african americans who support the racist rap etc)
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat May 21, 2005 10:44 pm

I know a lot of white guys and girls that do it or act in annoying ways like that.

It's all the actions though. It really has nothing to do with color. Sure it might have to do with heritage, as that's also how you're brought up and the environment your in, but it's not 100% cut and dry, so that's why I don't think it's right to even categorize it in groups of skin color.

"This one group of girls at my school are freaking annoying man. I just totally hate their actions." Is fine. Adding "black girls" is also fine for a description of the person, but not used in the generalizing way of "most black girls" because it is still only 1 group.

I find other things a lot more annoying than this.
1. Rich and snobbish people.
2. Bitchers and whiners.
3. Rednecks.
Yea, it is a stereotype. My only one, I feel. But when you are acting like the way people believe rednecks to act, that's what is annoying to me. So should I say, the generalized action of a "red neck"? It's hard to do, but it's a key part of the english language, learning how to communicate properly and to not offend. Sucks, but you are responsible for the words coming out of your mouth :).

/.Delinquent