Music's Direction

stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun May 22, 2005 5:18 pm

Bluefox wrote:Putting poetry to a beat music does not make!

;) :mrgreen:
theGimpboy

Post by theGimpboy » Sun May 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Bluefox wrote:It is simply putting poetry to a beat. Putting poetry to a beat music does not make!
Just to start off i'm not a "huge" rap fan.

I think your full of shit. No offence, but your position shows you lack the ability to see beyond your limited musical tastes. I listen to everything from classical to bollywood to rave to rock etc and while most rap out there today really is crappy I would say that doesn't make it any less music than any other musical form. I would compare your statement to that of parents in the 40's 50's saying their kids listeing to that darn rock and roll don't know music because thats not music, music is swing or jazz. Just because someone doesn't move their voice pitch up and down doesn't mean their art form isn't music.
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sun May 22, 2005 6:30 pm

theGimpboy wrote:
Bluefox wrote:It is simply putting poetry to a beat. Putting poetry to a beat music does not make!
Just to start off i'm not a "huge" rap fan.

I think your full of shit. No offence, but your position shows you lack the ability to see beyond your limited musical tastes. I listen to everything from classical to bollywood to rave to rock etc and while most rap out there today really is crappy I would say that doesn't make it any less music than any other musical form. I would compare your statement to that of parents in the 40's 50's saying their kids listeing to that darn rock and roll don't know music because thats not music, music is swing or jazz. Just because someone doesn't move their voice pitch up and down doesn't mean their art form isn't music.
I listen to lots of music too.....rap is not music when you think about it. It is more poetry than music.
SalamiHead

Post by SalamiHead » Sun May 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Music:

1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
3. a. A musical composition.
b. The written or printed score for such a composition.
c. Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
4. A musical accompaniment.
5. A particular category or kind of music.
6. An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

A lot of the time rap does not stay in time, is not very well unified, doesn't use much harmony, not much melody usually, usually only 1 or 2 rythms throughout an entire peice.

I'm only basing this off of what I've heard when my brother plays rap in the car.
Never Try To Beat The Meat, For The Meat Will Beat You
Space Butler

Post by Space Butler » Sun May 22, 2005 8:33 pm

Wait, so you guys contend Public Enemy was not making music because Terminator X was spinning records instead of playing keyboards?

Rap is as much a form of music as blues, folk or gregorian chant.
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sun May 22, 2005 8:48 pm

I know a lot of people that define "music" as someone "singing". I just say "ahem, cake, bruce springsteen, pink floyd, yea it's music"

bluefox, it's a genre of music, get over yourself, plzkthx.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner
thread killer, post spawner

Post by nightmare 101 » Sun May 22, 2005 8:55 pm

Honestly, rap is music, just not very good music, as most of us have concluded.
Teens are becoming more and more intolerant of classical music
Classical music? Do you mean like Bach and Mozart, or classic rock like Pink Floyd and The Beatles? Either way, I, being part of the teenage population, am NOT becoming intolerant to any of the things i just listed.

Generalizations are the worst part of arguing over these type of things.

Also, i completely HATE all the new music, it's all the same worthless, meaningless, and generally horrible shit. It's to the point that i won't even turn on the radio unless it's the news.
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sun May 22, 2005 9:02 pm

nightmare 101 wrote:Honestly, rap is music, just not very good music, as most of us have concluded.
Teens are becoming more and more intolerant of classical music
Classical music? Do you mean like Bach and Mozart, or classic rock like Pink Floyd and The Beatles? Either way, I, being part of the teenage population, am NOT becoming intolerant to any of the things i just listed.

Generalizations are the worst part of arguing over these type of things.

Also, i completely HATE all the new music, it's all the same worthless, meaningless, and generally horrible shit. It's to the point that i won't even turn on the radio unless it's the news.
I am generalizing. Yes you may be tolerant of the music, but if you go around the country, and get a bunch of teens...and ask them if they like Bach, I bet half wouldn't even know who he is, nor care.
Space Butler

Post by Space Butler » Sun May 22, 2005 9:10 pm

Bluefox wrote:I am generalizing. Yes you may be tolerant of the music, but if you go around the country, and get a bunch of teens...and ask them if they like Bach, I bet half wouldn't even know who he is, nor care.
That's an education problem, not a popular music problem. And I'm not even sure it's true. Can you point to a survey that was done about the recognizability of classical music figures in the US teen population?
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox » Sun May 22, 2005 10:15 pm

Space Butler wrote:
Bluefox wrote:I am generalizing. Yes you may be tolerant of the music, but if you go around the country, and get a bunch of teens...and ask them if they like Bach, I bet half wouldn't even know who he is, nor care.
That's an education problem, not a popular music problem. And I'm not even sure it's true. Can you point to a survey that was done about the recognizability of classical music figures in the US teen population?
No but I think I will do a survey. I will have a survey taken at my school about it. My friend is in Life management class and they take a survey once a month...I will have my friend take that as his survey.
pcgamer58

Post by pcgamer58 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:56 pm

You also forgot a majority of teens like bands like Simple Plan and stuff, I don't even know what genre of music they are but they go under the category for me as "Sucky"

People just listen to what the crowd goes along with because they have to be "cool". But Bluefox already said thatl
Last.fm Recent Tracks
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sun May 22, 2005 10:59 pm

Dave Matthews Band comes to mind.

They have some amazing music, but it's just like "wtf" when you go to their concerts. 100% smoking audience - yourself = 99.99% smoking audience.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
SalamiHead

Post by SalamiHead » Mon May 23, 2005 6:36 am

I don't see how some bands can even get signed, most of the time they just use primary chords in every song.

Even more amazingly people actually like them.
Never Try To Beat The Meat, For The Meat Will Beat You
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Mon May 23, 2005 6:47 am

Perfect example of image based junk...

http://www.thetowersoflondon.com/

Choose track 2 on the flash player. The image they try and portray, the sound, everything - the perfect embodyment. I was dying of laughter when I first saw the video. Unfortunately, the clips are really short on their site - but there's absolutely nothing to the song. What you hear in that short clip, <i>is</i> the song. A nice 2 chord thrash. I've made better clips in my bedroom - but this is just the perfect example of record companies using image and what's popular, to sell.

Sigh... Punk is cool though - so the leather jackets, feather haircut and "attitude" more than make up for their lack of musical ability. =)
lazarus

Post by lazarus » Mon May 23, 2005 6:20 pm

I think music is in the eye of the beholder and can be defined very liberally. Music should be suited to your mood.
I dont particularly like rap, but as club music, nothing gets a place going more than a good rap song.
That being said, when at home, I like listening to rock/pop like DMB, Sun Kil Moon, Oasis, Weezer, etc.. as well as classical music.
I dont mind rap music or ppl that listen to rap music, but I do think that people should not limit themselves to one genre of music; there is simply too much good stuff out there to find.
hold your glass up, hold it in
never betray the way you've always known it is
one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow

- the shins