War of the Worlds *Some Spoilers*

stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
InfinitumG35

War of the Worlds *Some Spoilers*

Post by InfinitumG35 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:11 am

WARNING, SOME MILD SPOILERS

I just saw it today at the 1:20pm show. It was awesome. The special effects are incredible. There are explosions, crazy amounts of rubble, and great CGI. Tom Cruise does a good job (as usual) in this movie, playing the troubled father, Ray Ferrier, who can't quite connect with his kids or family in any way. Dakota Fanning also does very well as Rachel, the daughter of Ray Ferrier. All the characters in the movie go through some changes, which is a good thing to see, as character development is usually lacking in "summer movies". One of the great things about this movie is how shows humans in their most basic form: aggressive, greedy, impatient, angry, and overall primal behavior. The desperation some people go through in this movie is a bit disturbing (the crowd/car scene and the Ferrier vs. old guy w/shotgun), because when you think about it, it's so true.
*Spoiler on the aliens/ending*
There's just one thing I wanted to point out though, and this may be nitpicky, but I can't stand seeing such cliched aliens. Two arms, two legs, one head, and maybe some extra appendages. Why are aliens always imagined as things similar to humans, even after some major changes (bigger eyes, green scaly skin, etc.)? One thing I did like was the fact that quick or easy adaptation to Earth's atmosphere was acknowledged. Seriously, not everything in the universe probably likes water, oxygen, foreign bacteria/particles, or is used to Earth's gravity. The ending is based on this fact, so that's a good thing to take into account, that not everything can like Earth.
*End spoiler*
All in all, Steven Spielberg did a nice job of directing War of the Worlds, creating a film that all can enjoy. Lots of thrills and action, some drama thrown in for good measure, and a decent (but rather rushed) plot. 9.5/10

BTW, I haven't read the book (I plan to very soon), so if anyone has some compare/contrasts we should know about, post it. :)
Last edited by InfinitumG35 on Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archenemy550

Post by Archenemy550 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:15 am

im not gunna read... but im goin to see it on Saturday. =D
MOS 6581
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:39 am

yeah this movie was amazing. had my heart pumping at times, some scenes were sooo horrifically awesome.
spoiler crap
Still gets to me though, the aliens are so smart, ooh! they put their ships in the ground YEARS ago! and they used lighting to tunnel underground! but they never found out that earth was posion to them.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:51 am

The aliens had like 3 legs and 4 arms didn't they? I dunno I could never really get a good look at them.

It was awesome though. I kept wanting to yell "STRIDER!" when they first appeared. :D It was nice to see the military depicted as somewhat competent. Usually movies like this make the military look really really dumb.
Napos

Post by Napos » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:07 am

Nice Reveiw. Put in the Review vault; I hope you do not mind :)
<center>ImageImageImage</center>
DrWho

Post by DrWho » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 am

okay im reading the book so im not going to read that and spoil it for myself but i know its not set in england anymore (dunno why) but can yopu please confirm how close to the book it is.
Is it still set in the 1890s??
Do the aliens still look like brains with about 8 tentacles around them?
Do the aliens still invade by shooting off those cylinder things and building the 3 legged metal things.
They cant have got rid of the 3 legged things obviously so il assume there in it and ask do they still have the heat rays or have they been updated with lasers, do they still have those purple gas canisters they shoot off that turns the air all black and unbreathable??
a simple yes or no to each question without spoiling it will suffice, thanks.
WOZZA

Post by WOZZA » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:58 am

DrWho wrote:okay im reading the book so im not going to read that and spoil it for myself but i know its not set in england anymore (dunno why) but can yopu please confirm how close to the book it is.
Do the aliens still invade by shooting off those cylinder things and building the 3 legged metal things.
They cant have got rid of the 3 legged things obviously so il assume there in it and ask do they still have the heat rays or have they been updated with lasers, do they still have those purple gas canisters they shoot off that turns the air all black and unbreathable??
just from the trailer im gonna say pretty much everything has been changed. What do you expect its spielberg!
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:28 am

The walking tripods are pretty much the same but yeah everything else is different.
InfinitumG35

Post by InfinitumG35 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:43 am

DrWho wrote:okay im reading the book so im not going to read that and spoil it for myself but i know its not set in england anymore (dunno why) but can yopu please confirm how close to the book it is.
1890s? no
brains w/ tentacles? no
tripods? hell yes
heat rays? yes
purple gas? no
cylinders? in some respects, very insignificant
black air? no
DrWho

Post by DrWho » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:28 pm

umm then why did they give it the title "The War of the Worlds" ?!?!! couldnt they have just called it "The Invasion" or something seeing as it doesnt sound like it is anything at all in the slightest bit like the book.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:04 pm

I think the opening and ending narrations are word for word from the book.
WOZZA

Post by WOZZA » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:01 pm

Just been told that theres a miss quote saying that its based on the book by Orson Wells.

Im guessing theres gonna be another version of the film being sent out rather quickly to correct that
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:02 pm

WOZZA wrote:Just been told that theres a miss quote saying that its based on the book by Orson Wells.

Im guessing theres gonna be another version of the film being sent out rather quickly to correct that
OWNED. Then I'm sure they'll be all like "Change it to George Orwell. He's the guy that wrote that, right? Ah, who cares, it's probably right."
Hatchman

Post by Hatchman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:28 pm

fun to watch but fucking stupid movie
.. 2 hours in basement but 30 second for the ending way to freaking go...

the whole movie was basicly like playing half-life 2

I also loved how the guy's videocammera worked like 4 mins after the EMP burst that "Knocked out everything"

tons of crap wrong with it but it was fun to watch
A society of Apes staring at their palms
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:34 pm

I thought this film was absolutely pants. It was boring. Okay, so seeing the walkers ripping peoples shit up and stomping on heads and everything was cool, but it got old after the first hour of seeing it OVER and OVER. I was waiting for something to happen that didn't involve them running away, the walkers spawning, them running away, more walkers.

You didn't get to learn too much about the characters, no real depth. You couldn't really get into the story line neither, it was lame. I went into this with high expectations, I suppose. :(

I was hoping there'd be a little more alien action, a little more explanation behind the story of the invasion / the tech. Not just about some dad trying to keep his kids alive. Worst of all was the cheap style ending. What a bum way to do it. Oh, after all these years of planning, they didn't account for possible illnesses. Hell, we could get ill if we just travel to a foreign country, yet these enlightened beings with technology designed to stomp people and the tech to travel here in the first place, didn't account for possible diseases or illnesses they might catch. So they all died by themselves. The end. YAY!