At & t buying out T Mobile

stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Aironz

At & t buying out T Mobile

Post by Aironz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Key points from the article:
At & t to buy out T Mobile for $39 Billion.
The consumer loses BIG TIME.
The wireless industry will be dominated by three big companies: At & t, Verizon, and Sprint.

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/20/in-att-t-m ... ody-loses/
wut
Ikri

Re: At & t buying out T Mobile

Post by Ikri » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Shit. This is horrible news. I specifically went for T Mobile to avoid Sprint, ATT and Verizon. Now I'll have to find another quality cellular service that doesn't fuck with customers, track them (GPS, web browsing) and limit their open-source content. :(
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:38 pm

You mean dominated by 2 big companies, and Sprint.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Ikri wrote:Shit. This is horrible news. I specifically went for T Mobile to avoid Sprint, ATT and Verizon. Now I'll have to find another quality cellular service that doesn't fuck with customers, track them (GPS, web browsing) and limit their open-source content. :(
you likely won't find that :(

at&t is building itself back up to the fucking monopoly it was before it was broken down back in the day, but now our government is even more corporate friendly than before so I don't see anything being struck down or broken up anytime soon.

this pissed me off, T mobile was the last not-evil cell provider out there.

N-N-N-N-N-NINJA EDIT: http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/03/ ... he-Telekom <-- slashdotters are pretty smart and already have a thread up about it, look there for everything smarter than anything I could ever say.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Ikri

Post by Ikri » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Hmm. Anyone know when the transfer will take place and/or if canceling the plan is permitted if the company merges? I still have 8 months left on this contract and I'd prefer my money and data didn't end up in ATT's creepy hands.
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 pm

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Public Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
Jason
TODAY IS WEDNESDAY
<font color=#17e66e><b>TODAY IS WEDNESDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 am

Fucking fuck AT&T. Seriously fuck them so hard. Fuck.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 am

(according to Slashdot) the deal won't be put through for another year and the FCC has a chance to strike it down. Unfortunately there will likely be a lot of lobbying and bribing between now and then.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
renesis

Post by renesis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:17 am

Probably won't effect consumers till 2012 at least. Maybe 2013 if there is enough political backlash.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 am

T-Mobile sucks anyway.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:21 am

at&t has a long history of being a terrible company. none of you are old enough to remember when they were a monopoly and you could not buy a phone - it was illegal to sell them or make them because at&t owned the patents. so instead of selling phones, they rented them the same way comcast rents a cable box, except for pretty high rates like $20/month, which was a LOT of money 50 years ago. finally the government had to get involved to allow other companies to make phones and overnight you could BUY a phone for $5 that used to cost $20/month. they abused their monopoly so much in other ways the government actually had to step in and break them up - ever heard of "baby bells"? those were the 7 companies AT&T was split up into. imagine the republican reaction in 2011 if the government announced they were breaking up a monopoly. glenn beck would look like that scene from scanners where the guy's head explodes
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 pm

joe wrote:none of you are old enough to remember
I remember.. wasn't THAT long ago.
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Yea I think most people would know about it at least, it's pretty much the contemporary definition of a business monopoly in America. It was the example used to teach us what monopolies were, why there are anti-trust laws, and how they can be applied. Maybe kids these days learn about Microsoft v the EU? I dunno.

Also I've been with ATT/Cingular for a decade, no real complaints. Then again I don't have a contract and been on the same plan for half that time.

Been buying smart phones off of Ebay to avoid the whole mobile internet scheme.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

ah i didn't know it was still common knowledge. i expected stuff from the early 80s to be obscure to most of the people here :D
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:35 pm

I think we can all agree that AT&T CEO's are turds.
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Public Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.