Edge of the Empire - Star Wars DnD Style RPG

stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Edge of the Empire - Star Wars DnD Style RPG

Post by A Ninja » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 pm

I know Katanarama tried to get a bit of online tabletop gaming going with J2 a few months ago, and that fell apart, but I want to try it again with this game. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it, Edge of the Empire turns the star wars universe into a classic DnD style tabletop rpg that allows players to take on the roles of anyone from a smuggler or bounty hunter, to a soldier of the rebellion, or even someone on the path to becoming a jedi or sith lord. I'm not the best at explaining, so I'll let the publisher's summary do the talking.
Life isn't easy at the edge of galactic civilization. Money, food, and other necessities are often in short supply. It takes a great deal of cunning, drive, and luck to survive, let alone get ahead in life. Many beings live through grit, determination, exploration, and often illicit or dangerous activities.

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire is a roleplaying game that captures the visionary essence of the Star Wars universe, while focusing on its Gr¦m and gritty corners. In control of a character exploring the Outer Rim, you'll do business in places where morality is gray and nothing is certain, living on the fringes of both the galaxy and its society. In an Edge of the Empire campaign, bounty hunters, smugglers, mercenaries, and explorers not only rub elbows with doctors, politicians, and scholars, but they find themselves thrust into adventures alongside them. During these adventures, you and your fellow fringers will often find yourselves facing any number of challenges, from repairing a damaged starship or slicing your way past a security panel to exchanging blaster fire with hired gunmen out to collect a bounty. With little law or order on the Outer Rim, you must rely on your innate abilities, trained skills, and special talents to survive.

To begin, you'll take the role of one of eight unique species, then choose a career and specialization as distinctive as your individual play style. As a Bounty Hunter, you might take on the Gadgeteer specialization, and keep a trick up your sleeve for every possible challenge. Or, you might master the wilderness of countless worlds as a Survivalist, and specialize in tracking your prey wherever he chooses to hide. Looking for something more subtle? As a Colonist, you'll play as one of the Core World's elite, an educated Imperial citizen seeking a new life far from the bustle of Imperial Center. But are you a Doctor, bringing your healing arts to those who need them most, or a Politico, introducing law to the lawless wilds?

With eight species, six careers, eighteen specializations, and countless other defining characteristics, your character creation options are limited only by your own imagination
In addition to the numbers in the original book, there are now over 30 playable species, 18 careers, 72 specializations to choose from when constructing your character.

As a player, you take on the role of a character you create at the beginning of the game. Your character takes part in an adventure, analogous to episodes of a television show or individual movies wherein you play the part of the recurring cast. Rather than strict rules, EOTE goes for a narrative focus, with many rules and and mechanics a bit more abstract in nature to add to that atmosphere. This includes the dice, which goes beyond a simple d10 and uses 7 custom dice to give players more control over how successes and failures play out.

For example, in the IRL game that I am a part of, I'm playing as an ex-Imperial soldier who got fed up with his superiors and deserted, and now runs an illegal medical practice on one of the colony worlds.

To get a good feel of what the game tries to be, I would look up an episode of Star Wars: Rebels or you can check out a few podcasts of people playing the game, here is one of my favorites
http://beggingforxp.com/category/podcast/star-wars/

For communication we can set up a new mumble room or use an already existing one on the server (mumble.joe.to).

For scheduling, once sufficient time to gauge interest is over we can discuss the best time for everyone to be at the first session, and at the end of each session we will talk over the next good time. IF YOU DO NOT ATTEND SEVERAL TIMES I WILL KILL OFF YOUR CHARACTER! So it's best if you attend the discussed upon times, or have a metric shit tonne of alternate characters prepared. Of course exceptions can be made if the reason for not attending is good enough (Shameless copy/paste from katana's thread).

Now, would there be any interest on here for the game?
We can play together online using https://roll20.net/ which is a great resource for facilitating online tabletop simulation, although it would be my first time using it. Ideally, I would like to have between 4-6 players for the game, as any fewer or more become hard to work with, especially as this would be my first time GMing. Don't worry about not having access to the rulebooks for this either, I've got that taken care of for us, and if we get enough people I can make another post with more in-depth information on the mechanics. If you want to play but have no idea how to or have never done anything like it, don't worry, I will be happy to walk people through things.

As a side note, if this falls through, I'd be willing to do a similar situation with the Warhammer 40k tabletop roleplaying games, Dark Heresy 2nd Edition, or Only War.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Maha

Re: Edge of the Empire - Star Wars DnD Style RPG

Post by Maha » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 pm

This sounds pretty sweet and I'd be down to play. I'd need a basic run through for this stuff though.
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:37 pm

You already know i'm down. Just putting the word in here too.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:02 am

Alrighty that's 2, I need at least 2 more, I'd prefer to get some more j2ers before asking around elsewhere, for simplicity's sake.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Jox

Post by Jox » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Hot damn i'd be down depending on what scheduling is like.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:21 am

Awesome, so with you 3, I've got 1 more that is willing to give it a shot. I'll call it a tentative 4 right now, there's still a few people I want to ask. Also if anyone else wants in, just post in here.
Archer

Post by Archer » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:06 pm

I'm interested!
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 am

Alrighty, so as of right now we've got 5 players together
Archer - bounty hunter assassin, ex member of the black sun
Jox - smuggler with a debt to the hutt, basically han solo
Katanarama - big game hunter and survivalist, basically bear grylls but with a big force pike
Maha - technician?
Special Forces - medical droid and also a nerd with knowledge

We've already decided on a ship and all that, but there's room for 1 more if they are interested and available on Saturday evenings (and if they fit in to the group, and have a mic)
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 am

In case anyone was actually interested in the on-goings of the story, here is a summary of our 1st session, thanks to Special Forices (M3-DC)

For those that are curious, here's the cast
Special Forces (M3-DC)
Reyne Udiiron (Katanarama)
Trent Torpoli (Archer)
Nossk (Maha)
Tash Quintzel (Jox)
A Long Time ago in a galaxy far far away….

Race Wars Episode 1:

It was a normal day for the citizens of Formos. To them it was another day on some sinkhole planet in
the outer rim, but little did they know of the impending danger approaching them from space. Without
warning a lone ship breached the atmosphere, a Ghtroc Industries Class 720 Freighter known as the
Janissary. On board was the meanest, leanest, and greenest sonnabitches this side of the territories; in
other words, player characters.

Well to be fair they certainly weren’t the meanest, but without a hutt or anyone with notable
experience in their crew they were still the leanest and greenest. As the ship landed and all those little
pipes that go “psshhhhhhhh” went psshhhhhhh the hangar door dropped down and out stepped our
ragtag group of misfits; a twi’lek, a droid, a trandoshan, and two humans.
Tash Quintzel was the twi’lek smuggler of the group and when he wasn’t busy violating imperial trade
regulations he could be found playing cards with just about anyone. Pilot of the Janissary and business
face of the group he had the most to gain by coming to this hot mess of a planet, but also the most to
lose.

M3-DC was the droid doctor of the group and prided himself on being able to fix every boo-boo and
scratch the gang managed to acquire over their journeys. Rescued by Tash after fleeing imperial service
he swore an oath to aid the twi’lek in any of his endeavors even if it meant playing cards non-stop.
Nossk the trandoshan slicer sported not only an intimidating stature but a brain to back it up. So
confident in his abilities Nossk felts little need to arm himself with anything more than his claws.
Trent Tripoli was the first human of the group and had a knack for knocking down targets from 600
yards away; his skill set as an assassin being a much sought after asset.

Last but not least, Reyne Udiron was the second human of the group. Never one to not take things
personally Reyne fought his problems head on with his force pike; his skill in melee only matched by his
skill in hunting.

Called to this arid sinkhole of a planet the party was specially requested by a contact for their smuggling
services. Deciding not to leave their employer waiting the party did the first thing that every tabletop
player does when on a main quest, get sidetracked. Passing by an alleyway the party heard the cries of a
creature coming from a trash compactor. Suspecting some devious bandits the party readied their
weapons and opened the container, finding a beaten and broken protocol droid.

“Oh thank the maker,” cried the droid, his voice module stuttered. “Please you must help me, some
vicious thugs have accosted me and taken my partner R4, it’s too late for me but perhaps you can save
him.”

Given that no one was a total dick in the party, none of the party members chose to leave the droid as
scrap, instead thanks to the handy mechanics of our trandoshan friend the droid was saved by a
miraculous skill check, denying the GM his sick and twisted droid crushing fetish.

Strapping the legless and armless droid to their back the party decided that the droid was better alive
than dead, and the first thing he would do is get forcibly renamed from J9-B8 to J2.
Actually the way this is going maybe the droid was better off as scrap.

The droid talked about him and his friend’s assailants but provided little in terms of description. Asking
around the party found out from the locals that SURPRISE, people are dicks in the outer rim. Without
much to go on aside a name of Bandin Dobah from some old lady the gang got back on track, heading to
the cantina.

As they walked in the lax cantina the party saw every manner of man and alien, with a lone man in the
corner acting as the obvious party contact. Following an awful and terrible MIDI rendition of the cantina
theme Tash walked over to the bar.

“One corellian ale please,” he asked.

“Fifty credits,” the barkeep said.

“One water please,” Tash reworded as he felt the burn of unemployment in his pocket. Paying for his
overpriced hydrogen based liquid Tash and the gang finally decided to make contact with their
unemployment agent who sat alone in the corner.

Speaking with their contact the party learned that their potential employer had apparently trolled the
shit out of them by inviting them for a job but then managing to get his product seized and red taped by
the local kingpin and criminal bureaucrat Bandin Dobah. Despite knowing of this problem ahead of time
the contact failed to notify the party thus wasting precious starship fuel and 10 credits. I mean, its not
like intergalactic communication exists or anything.

It was then that Tash suggested the obvious, the removal of this Bandin Dobah so that life and business
could go on like normal. The contact agreed the idea was solid but claimed that they would have to find
Bandin first, his location unknown to anyone but his closest men.

Leaving the contact Tash and the gang sat down by the bar before they were approach by a seedy
devorian.

“Wanna buy some death st- I mean want to know some information about Bandin Dobah?” He asked
coyly. “I can tell you some good things for fifty credits.”

“How about I just make you talk for free,” Tash said drawing his blaster and pointing it at the devorian. It
only took a second for Tash to realize the mistake he had just made.

The barkeep who had just been polishing glasses drew his blaster on Tash along with a couple regular
patrons.

Accepting the futility of starting a bar fight Tash holstered his blaster and turned back to the devorian,
who had an even bigger smile on his face.

“Did I say fifty? I meant one hundred credits.”

Still not taking the devorian up on his offer Tash dismissed him and apologized to the barkeeper. As he
finished his apology a group of three thuggish men burst into the cantina, quick to sit by the group and
begin harassing a shy rodian girl. Despite her clear uncomfortable stance towards these new entrants no
one in the party seemed willing to do the obvious thing. M3-DC, who assumed the party’s nervous
systems were stuck in a continuous loop, took it upon himself to nicely ask the thugs to leave the rodian
alone. The thugs did not react kindly but were smart enough not to start a ruckus, instead choosing to
leave and threaten to tell their teeth bashing friends about this white knight droid.

As the thugs exited the bar, all of the party minus Nossk, who stayed behind to chat with the rodian girl,
followed the thugs outdoors and confronted them. The confrontation went about as well as one would
expect with the thugs quickly taking offense and drawing their blasters.

The first combat, a magical moment in tabletop games where players fight tooth and nail to overcome
staggering odds, a time whe- oh its over already? Yes with quick flurry of blaster fire and two critical hits
the thugs found themselves either dead, unconscious, or running away like a baby tauntaun. Grabbing
the one unconscious guy the party dragged him back to the ship to interrogate him.

While the party waited for the stunned thug to wake up Nossk shared information he learned from the
rodian girl while doing what he could to fix up J2, who was still missing his limbs. Despite being a
protocol droid the party decided attaching a spare medical droid arm with a taped on virbro-knife would
best suit him. Perhaps one day he would ascend beyond J2 and become J2erminator. It was around the
same time they finished “upgrading” J2 that their stunned friend woke up and it became immediately
clear that the stun blast to the head had caused some short term memory loss.

Making up a story of beating up droids, a drunken stupor, and imperial prison frigates the party
managed to convince the thug that they had saved him from trouble with the law and that they had a
very lucrative deal for his boss. The thug agreed to talk to his boss about it and left the ship, his
movements tracked by the party to a single warehouse. Taking the initiative the majority of the party set
up a stakeout outside the warehouse while Tash and M3-DC stayed on the ship and played cards….for
reasons.

From how the situation was handled the party expected one of two things. One, this thug was going to
deliver the message and get permission to bring the party inside. Or two, he was going to get
intercepted by gang members and get recruited into an angry mob looking to get revenge against some
newcomers who oddly fit the description of the people he was “rescued” by.

As it turned out, situation 2 happened and suddenly from the hideout burst the thug Daro Blunt, the
thug who had fled the previous battle, the party’s ex-prisoner Spir Fraxis, and four Stevens. The party
didn’t actually know the name of the four minions accompanying Daro and Spir but were certain they
were Stevens, especially with their Stevish looks. Still in hiding, the three stakeout members readied an
ambush on the squad as they headed unknowingly in their direction. When Daro was close enough,

Reyne burst from his hiding spot and charged Daro with the reflexes of the cat. Unfortunately, while he
possessed agility he lacked accuracy and his blow missed a man who was practically frozen in fear from
the sudden surprise. While startling and scary, Reyne had little choice but to quickly dive out of the way
after his failed attack, hiding himself and his shame behind some crates.

Unlike Reyne, Trent had no trouble with his accuracy as he lined up his rifle and delivered a decisive
blow to Daro’s head, killing him. As he died Daro looked to Spir and fellow Stevens with a twinkle in his
eye, knowing they would carry on his legacy and overcome these dishonorable foes.

Let’s just say the Stevens definitely left room for improvement.

One by one the Stevetroopers managed to miss, trip, and fumble over in an attempt to get a shot off on
their ambushers. They fought so poorly that Nossk was able to slap most of their shit in with his claws,
and he was the dedicated slicer of the group.

As the last Steve and Spir fell to overwhelming attacks Tash and M3-DC arrived on the scene. Since they
had woken everyone up in the space port with all their blaster fire they had to investigate the
warehouse quickly. Inside they found a lone astromech droid which fit the description of J2’s friend R4.

Removing the restraining bolt from the droid they found out that the information that R4 had been
carrying was already taken. Thankfully, R4 still had the information in his memory and explained to the
party that the information was the coordinates to Bandin Dobah’s hideout. In exchange for their
continued help R4 agreed to help the party reach these coordinates in space. With R4 in tow they
departed the warehouse and headed back to the ship.
This was a few sessions back, I'll post the 2nd half of this campaign if there is enough interest.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:42 am

Ninja I just want you to know that you're writing fanfiction with this post. Though the name 'Race Wars' made me chuckle.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Maha

Post by Maha » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Neelpos wrote:Ninja I just want you to know that you're writing fanfiction with this post. Though the name 'Race Wars' made me chuckle.
Isn't that what D&D is in a nutshell?
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:57 pm

No yeah I just meant the posting it on the forums thing for people to read.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:25 pm

Neelpos wrote:No yeah I just meant the posting it on the forums thing for people to read.
You're right, I'll stick to shitposts and anime as per standard.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Atta girl.