GF Needs Help With A New Laptop

tech news, software/hardware support
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Re: GF Needs Help With A New Laptop

Post by Ian7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:45 am

She has basically decided an is getting an ASUS i7 here is the model I'm pretty sure she's getting:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Lapt ... Id=3411094
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
jennyy

Post by jennyy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 am

I'm in biotech/econ

MACBOOK AIR $999 + EXTERNAL HARDRIVE + SOFTWARE + MOUSE = 1200ISH
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:13 am

jennyy wrote:I'm in biotech/econ

MACBOOK AIR $999 + EXTERNAL HARDRIVE + SOFTWARE + MOUSE = 1200ISH
Well there's your problem with being forever alone - you're going to confuse the hell out of most younger guys.

On a more relevant note - have you ever run into situations with the MBA where you really needed an optical drive and found yourself without? For example, you're on campus and someone hands you something on a CD you need to look at right away. Also, how much free space do you have on the SSD at this time?
Doctor Hannibal Lecter wrote:I think we should ban video games on the j2 community and only allow bickering.
jennyy

Post by jennyy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 am

Snuggle lets get married. :c

As for the driver option, you can buy the cd thingie. But I never come across any issues because everything is all digital now and I just usb ports. Portability is really handy especially when you lug around shit load of textbooks.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:56 am

Please don't tell my mother or she'll start riding me again about grandchildren.

I have an external USB DVDRW and floppy since they're just one of those really useful things to have around. The concern is that an MBA's main selling point is its ultimate portability. Lugging around an external drive defeats that and would drive the decision to a 13" MB Pro, for instance. It's an odd situation, as while the obvious solution is to use USB memory sticks many of the companies in my industry ban/disable their use due to security concerns.
Doctor Hannibal Lecter wrote:I think we should ban video games on the j2 community and only allow bickering.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 pm

They need to backup to another device or server you can't own a laptop and just keep information on it and no where else that will bring nothing but grief. Hdds fail ssds fail catastrophicly.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:15 pm

scobywhru wrote:They need to backup to another device or server you can't own a laptop and just keep information on it and no where else that will bring nothing but grief. Hdds fail ssds fail catastrophicly.
Yeah I told her to pick up an external sooner than later.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Tasslehoff [eLa]

Post by Tasslehoff [eLa] » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 pm

i wouldn't buy any external hard drives atm... prices are absolutely bonkers due to the flooding in bangkok right now. we're look at 50-100% price increases due to manufacturing facilities getting flooded and shut down.

sexy laptop specs for the price btw. i dont see anything about a 2 year global warranty on that. dont let the bestbuy guy talk her into buying their own... all asus laptops should come with their own. see more info here: http://completewarranty.asus.com/Conten ... 0/360.aspx
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm

You can still get memory sticks for about $1/GB. Even if external drives are "too expensive" the cost absolutely does not compare to data loss.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:41 pm

If the External HDD is worth more then a days work then sure don't buy it wast that time rebuilding, if it isn't go buy one or get a backup service like Mozy etc. There is no reason what soever to keep information in 1 spot.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 pm

scobywhru wrote:If the External HDD is worth more then a days work then sure don't buy it wast that time rebuilding, if it isn't go buy one or get a backup service like Mozy etc. There is no reason what soever to keep information in 1 spot.
Laziness or general incompetence?

On a serious note, it depends on how much your time is worth. A day is a good rule of thumb, but later in life as time is harder to come by, the cost increases dramatically.
Tasslehoff [eLa]

Post by Tasslehoff [eLa] » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 pm

i agree snugglebear, get some sexy usb 3.0 memory sticks. i'm to cheap to pay inflated prices. then again, if i had no other choice, i'd have to just bite the bullet and buy one.