New Laptop for temp?

tech news, software/hardware support
TempSoul

New Laptop for temp?

Post by TempSoul » Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to buy a new laptop that not per say a gaming laptop but can atleast run games like tf2, neverwinter, etc. At decent quality and performance.

Think I can get a decent one at the 300-600 range? I'm just looking for a college computer that I can take with me at all times and have the opportunity to game when i have free time. I work on my computer(long battery long is not a problem since i will be near outlets but 1-3 average performance will be perfect) a lot so mostly I just care about a long lasting computer that is going to handle all my college and non-profit work, which is just lots of writing and work via the internet. Size should be around 15in, but less is better with a max of 16.

*Asus isn't like an absolute but I trust them the most my asus n81 has lasted 5 years and handle everything that the gaming world threw at me like a trooper.
Joejoe347

Re: New Laptop for temp?

Post by Joejoe347 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:11 pm

The Lenovo Y series is great, but I'm not sure you want to spend that much. Lowest it is is $800 I think. Tf2 is actually way more intensive than you think, even with an fps config. Anything less than $700 is going to have problems running it at 60+ fps all the time.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Joejoe347 wrote:The Lenovo Y series is great, but I'm not sure you want to spend that much. Lowest it is is $800 I think. Tf2 is actually way more intensive than you think, even with an fps config. Anything less than $700 is going to have problems running it at 60+ fps all the time.
what do the think the key specs i should look at to insure that the laptop has to satisfy my needs.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat May 25, 2013 4:23 pm

literally in 2ish weeks intel is releasing a new CPU, I say wait until after that to find one for purchase.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Sat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

roger scoobys
Joejoe347

Post by Joejoe347 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah what scooby says. TF2 is mostly CPU reliant, so wait for the new cpus to come out.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat May 25, 2013 8:40 pm

well a cheap laptop will use a built in and the AMD ones currently work fine for TF2 but the framerate is subpar, under 60fps, the intel ones probably won't be much better but there could be new designs or the built in graphics cards may actually be worth a damn.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.