Trying to determine source of lag

tech news, software/hardware support
TheKing

Trying to determine source of lag

Post by TheKing » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:29 pm

So I have an issue where every once in a while I'll get these lag spikes on my network, the ping will jump to 2000+ for a few seconds to a minute, and then drop back down to around 50 again. I can't figure out if it's my provider or my modem or my router. I know it's not much to go on. I checked my upstream and it's 35 dB which makes my provider less likely. My modem is an old Webstar Scientific Atlanta, and my router is a belkin. My dl is regularly 28 Mbits/s and ul is 3 Mbits/s which are both good. Any ideas where I should look for my issue, or ideas for troubleshooting to identify the culprit?
Avvatar wrote:Oh neat. Make sure you ride bl4nk's nuts till it's all better. He enjoys it.
TheKing.j2: windows explorer?
joe: final boss is hard
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Re: Trying to determine source of lag

Post by scobywhru » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm

I have never met a belkin router that didn't randomly lockup or restart. I am talking about roughly 15 of them over the last 10 yrs even high end models and newer designs, 802.11n dual channel. With that being said cable is not known for reliability, the way it is a shared medium even if it is reporting 35 dB doesn't mean it has a good signal since it isn't reporting noise floor. Noise can be caused by a lot of different devices, including Power lines IIRC, but also home monitors and older wireless telephones. Any device causing interference in the neighborhood will affect your connection not just the people who are generating the noise, this is because the cable is shared up until they convert it to the backbone, this can be a neighborhood or larger area.

In my opinion the best purely modem devices are Motorola, but they don't do well as a router, they seem to handle worse connections better and provide reliable cable/dsl connection far beyond competitors. Combo units combing Wireless AP and Router function always have issues IMO but are convenient and some providers require them. You can often turn off the router/WAP function and use them as purely a modem and buy your own.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
TheKing

Post by TheKing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks scooby, I may use this as an excuse to install a wireless AC router. I know my belkin is shitty and resets a lot, and there is a lot of wireless activity around.
Avvatar wrote:Oh neat. Make sure you ride bl4nk's nuts till it's all better. He enjoys it.
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Home Wireless is always crap compared to wired, if you can get some ethernet cable and run it where you need, 10-1000 times faster even then AC and far less problems.

EDIT: also that doesn't show noise floor which can be quite a bit higher and where the trouble resides.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
TheKing

Post by TheKing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I just hate drilling into my floors. Oh well, this is much cheaper than a new router.
Cat 6 cables are cheap.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Cross cable?
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm

you can buy a cheap and good crimper from monoprice it is EXACTLY the same as one of the older Ideal crimpers, it cost less to buy a new crimper from Monoprice then it costs for a new blade set. These are the ones that I was talking about. The reason I bring this up is they are $15 and can be use to make the holes smaller, also do not drill through carpet pull up a corner or remove some molding and drill around it. You can get through carpeting and you can keep it from unraveling but most carpet is plastic based and it will clog the drill bit until you clean it before going through the baseboard.
Struan
Genuine Aerospace Engineer

Post by Struan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:38 am

What about homeplugs? No hole drilling and they keep the pings down.
Your lucky number is 559130229394580. Watch for it everywhere.
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm

A 100ft cat5 or cat6 cable costs maybe $11-15, homeplugs are 10x more expensive and moves less data. Homeplugs also works intermittently and is only sometimes better than wireless, any AC motor especially older ones on refrigerators and AC units but also anything with a fan will cause interference that degrades or stops the link. It is also a half duplex link which causes the most problems for jitter, which is what most people think lag is, under heavy load or low signal strength the link becomes degraded and will vary wildly since it can't transmit and receive at the same time unlike ethernet which only has half duplex for legacy and poor quality links.
TheKing

Post by TheKing » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Eviltechie wrote:Cross cable?
good catch. I wonder why it was the first hit rather than standard ethernet cable. Straight 100 ft. cat6 is only $13.24 which is cheaper anyway.

Also, my floor is laminate, not carpet which is easier to work around. I could go through the edge of my closet floor into the closet below and tuck the cable behind the floor molding in my rooms making it look nice. Well, actually it wouldn't look nice or bad since it would be out of sight.
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:56 pm

if there is carpeting in your room you can tuck it under the carpeting/floor molding without having to remove either