Eviltechie builds a pc

tech news, software/hardware support
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Eviltechie builds a pc

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:03 am

My old desktop is from 2007. I've been playing on laptops ever since. Time to change that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6WGdsY

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($121.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($479.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
Monitor: Dell P2214H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1484.63

Thoughts?
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Re: Eviltechie builds a pc

Post by MrBlip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:43 am

What games do you play? What games are you looking to play? Will you be doing any of your video editing on this desktop?

CPU: for an extra $40 you can get a 6600K which can be overclocked, but I don't know how well. I have a 2500K, and with a $20 HSF I can get it from 3.3ghz (stock) to 4.2 ghz easy. A buddy of mine says he has his at 4.5ghz. I don't have any benchmarks proving it's worth it, though, and it's been at 4.2 for so long I can't remember if I ever saw any difference in performance.

Memory: My dad has 16 gb of ram, I have 8gb ram. Our systems are very much different, but I still don't notice any substantial difference in how fast our systems operate, or how fast images load in photoshop, etc. One thing I haven't tried is opening a shit ton of movies or images on both computers and seeing what happens. I'm just not sure if 16gb is really absolutely worth it. But at the same time, it's ram, and ram is cheap. So fuck it.

Storage: damn SSDs have gotten cheap. Does your case come with a mount for SSD? Otherwise you'll need to be a 2.5" to 3.5" mount (unless you already have one?)

Video Card: EVGA is great and everything, and the 900 series has been out for a while now, but just be aware: my 970 came with a pretty horrible coil whine. It doesn't affect performance, but it's kinda annoying and throws you off when you first hear it. You're getting a 980, I have a 970, but at the time this was affecting both cards.

Case: your graphics card is 10.5" long. Your case is 17" front to back. That leaves you with 6.5" of space. Depending on how your hard drives fit in the case, you might be getting a little tight.

Operating System: absolutely disgusting
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 am

I would change out the stock CPU cooler. Must of the a garbage. This is the cooler I suggest you get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608067 It is a lot more quite can will cool it better.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:28 am

On the topic of coil whine, I have that 980 and it's pretty quiet. That was my first build so I couldn't believe how big graphics cards are. I have that case too and it will fit the hard drives easily. I think it can fit 2 2.5" and 2 or 3 3.5".

For coolers, I use this http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemn ... 6835103099
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 am

I_AM_SQUIRREL wrote:I would change out the stock CPU cooler. Must of the a garbage. This is the cooler I suggest you get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608067 It is a lot more quite can will cool it better.
Does not explicitly state that it fits on a 1151 socket (which is the CPU Eviltechie has). Also, in my experience, stock coolers are perfectly fine with a stock processor.
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:For coolers, I use this http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemn ... 6835103099
This is the one I have, it works great and is pretty cheap, and matches Techie's socket. But again, stock coolers for stock processors has always been fine for me.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:33 am

Swap the 850 PRO 256gb for the 850 EVO 500gb

That's nearly double the storage for 30ish dollars more. EVO comes with a 5 year warranty, PRO with a 10 year warranty. Are you really going to be using something as small as 256gb in 10 years?
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:19 pm

yeah I wish I got a bigger SSD, 500gb would be pretty dope
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm

MrBlip wrote:What games do you play? What games are you looking to play? Will you be doing any of your video editing on this desktop?
Mostly it's been CS:GO. I haven't bought any games in a long time simply because I don't have anything to run them on. Top of my list right now are JC3, GTAV, and MGSV.
MrBlip wrote:CPU: for an extra $40 you can get a 6600K which can be overclocked, but I don't know how well. I have a 2500K, and with a $20 HSF I can get it from 3.3ghz (stock) to 4.2 ghz easy. A buddy of mine says he has his at 4.5ghz. I don't have any benchmarks proving it's worth it, though, and it's been at 4.2 for so long I can't remember if I ever saw any difference in performance.
I may consider this. The trick is you can spend "only $40 more" on about every part and add an extra $300 to your cost.
MrBlip wrote:it's ram, and ram is cheap. So fuck it.
Yep.
I_AM_SQUIRREL wrote:I would change out the stock CPU cooler.
Stock is going to be perfectly fine to start with. I might be able to get my hands on a prototype thermoelectric cooler at some point anyway.
mbaxter wrote:Swap the 850 PRO 256gb for the 850 EVO 500gb

That's nearly double the storage for 30ish dollars more. EVO comes with a 5 year warranty, PRO with a 10 year warranty. Are you really going to be using something as small as 256gb in 10 years?
I like this.

Is the video card appropriate for my build? It's not super overkill is it? I'd like to use this computer as is for years to come.
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.

I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Is the video card appropriate for my build? It's not super overkill is it? I'd like to use this computer as is for years to come.
Not really overkill you can play more graphic demanding game like GTA V and others without any issues on the highest setting. Amazon has it cheaper right now with the same deal as Mircocenter and it is free shipping and tax free (maybe)
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:00 pm

There are only a few CPUs that are faster and even the none k CPUs can be overclocked. i5-6600k i7-6700 and i7-6700k are only slightly faster. No game is truly multithreaded so you are limited by the single fastest core. The K cpu may allow overclocking but don't allow certain virtualization tech, and I think platform encryption, if either are important you would want to avoid the K series.

Video card seems a bit much and similar performance from AMD I believe is cheaper, doesn't support Nvidia proprietary tech but does support Mantle and DX12 with high frame rate.

RAM limit of Windows 10 is 32gb with a 16gb two stick kit you can easily upgrade to that if you need it. One thing that windows 10 does well is use the extra RAM to cache frequently used applications and files, the more RAM you have the faster the OS feels with the same hardware.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:04 pm

Is there anything I should know about SSD's? Is it plug and play, or do I have to screw around with drivers and aligning my bytes?

I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Eviltechie wrote:Is there anything I should know about SSD's? Is it plug and play, or do I have to screw around with drivers and aligning my bytes?
It is plug and play if you want it to dangle in your case. LOL You need to screw it into the hard drive cage that comes with the case.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Eviltechie wrote:Is the video card appropriate for my build? It's not super overkill is it? I'd like to use this computer as is for years to come.
The only thing that's important is that you get a video card with 4gb of RAM. 970 is a little weird because technically it's 3.5gb. There's a lot of bullshit that nVidia does to make their cards perform better over AMD, but AMD cards are cheaper. At the moment I'd say it's overkill, but at the same time, 2gb is not enough. Stick with the 980 or go with a Radeon R9 290 and save $100. Compare benchmarks with your favorite games to be sure you know what you're getting into.
Eviltechie wrote:Is there anything I should know about SSD's? Is it plug and play, or do I have to screw around with drivers and aligning my bytes?
Depends on your motherboard/BIOS I think? Whenever I reformat my computer, I need to unplug all my drives, and start with just the SSD, fuck with some bios settings, install windows, fuck with some bios settings again, then plug in the remaining drives. I don't remember the specifcs atm.

Best to just google your SSD and motherboard and see what hits.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 pm

I_AM_SQUIRREL wrote:It is plug and play if you want it to dangle in your case. LOL You need to screw it into the hard drive cage that comes with the case.
:thefuck:
MrBlip wrote:At the moment I'd say it's overkill
That's the impression I'm getting. I'm okay with that though, especially if I can avoid having to screw with it down the line.

scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:27 pm

SSDs are plug an play as long as you have a UEFI bios and capable OS. SATA is as plug an play as any other SATA HDD, NVMe and PCIe through they require more current OS, windows 8.1, 10, Server 2016 along with UEFI Bios that allows booting to PCIe/NVMe. The benefit of a PCIe/NVMe SSD, beyond the physical smaller size in the m.2 format, is the increase in speed and decrease in latency.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.