Eviltechie builds a pc

tech news, software/hardware support
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Re: Eviltechie builds a pc

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm getting hints that my video card is way overkill for 1080p.

Anybody jumped on the 4k or 144hz train?
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 pm

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fLzWxr

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($497.95 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($417.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $1711.24

Two main changes. First, I dropped the small SSD and spinning disk in favor of one bigger SSD. I can always pick up a regular drive for cheap if I need more storage. Second, I grabbed a 1440p144 monitor.

I looked at upping the processor, but it would have been about $40 for the next one up, plus the cost of a cooler. It didn't quite seem worth it.

I still have to think about this. I can afford this easily, but I was hoping to keep it closer to $1500.
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.

scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm

144hz doesn't matter as much as 4k, refresh rate scales linearly but resolution is more of a logarithmic increase in GPU power.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:23 am

It seems that sync is important for the 1440p144 thing. It also seems that gsync adds $100 to the price of the monitor as compared to freesync. I'm thinking of switching to an AMD card now.

Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:20 am

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4Hjsqs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Video Card ($506.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($417.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $1720.27

Swapped the 980 with a R9 Fury. Seems to be a slightly better card for the same price. Saves me $100 for a gsync monitor.

Now starting to question 1440@144hz. Is it even practical to play games at that resolution and refresh rate on high quality? I'm still concerned about the price tag too.

Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:47 pm

At that resolution and refresh rate a lot of current-gen games (Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 4, etc.) won't hit the framerate cap, but the card you're going for (judging from this) will at least pass 60FPS easily in most cases, and the FreeSync monitor means you won't be worrying about screen tearing. You miiight want to back down to a 1440p 120hz monitor if you're really worried about it but as things go you're good on that front.

On the CPU side though if you /really/ want to future-proof it springing for an i7 with Hyperthreading might be prudent, as DX12 and Vulkan rely on multithreading more than DX11/OpenGL. But there's a big gap in price between the 6600 and the 6700 so yeah .-.

However, for the first incremental upgrade you do for this i would highly recommend bumping up to 16GB of memory. There's no pressure on doing it right now since most games are fine with 8GB but if you plan on multitasking there's no reason not to, and a few recently released games tend to put a lot of stress on that amount of ram (coughjustcause3cough).
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Slight hiccup. It seems that the price of my build has gone up by $150 overnight. That puts me from over budget, to way over budget. Back to the drawing board.

I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Why not go AMD:

Processor: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8320FRHKBOX ... B009O7YU56

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ3DWFK/ref ... Rwb0STKAB3

143.30+79.99=223.29 Total for the AMD processor and motherboard
scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Because the AMD CPU isn't fast enough per core to be good at current gen games, let alone next gen games. He would do better going with a newer dual core then an AMD something like the i3-6100 with it's 20-50% faster per clock speed cores it would easily trounce that 8 core CPU. It's not that it can't turn around for DX12 but then Nvidia graphics cards are lacking throughput since DX12 is actually quite a bit based on the Mantle API. Upgrades are then as easy as switching CPUs.

Additionally if you do end up doing TEC cooling make sure the cold plate stays above dew point or you are going to have a very bad time.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:44 am

scobywhru wrote:Because the AMD CPU isn't fast enough per core to be good at current gen games, let alone next gen games. He would do better going with a newer dual core then an AMD something like the i3-6100 with it's 20-50% faster per clock speed cores it would easily trounce that 8 core CPU.
I was talking to a guy who built a nice little VM cluster with that processor. Not quite what I'm going for though.

scobywhru wrote:Additionally if you do end up doing TEC cooling make sure the cold plate stays above dew point or you are going to have a very bad time.
Dew point? I saw a peltier element on an engineer's desk making ice.

scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:21 am

Yeah, but you can't insulate well against water, and since it will defrost when not in use it tends to get wet around the CPU socket. The best bet is a simple ambient air temp with an estimated moisture map, or real moisture if you get a sensor. There have been commercial peltier/TEC coolers and vapor phase cooling for CPUs that will measure and regulate based on this to keep the condensation at bay. Unless you go whole hog and keep it below freezing at all times, which is what the LN2 and He cooling blocks rely a lot on, not just water proofing around the CPU socket, hint there is a lot of petroleum jelly, silicon, conformal coatings, and insulation.

Another thing is Peltiers take more power than they displace so a 90w TEC needs 120w to keep it at ambient, very rough estimate. May take over double if not more, they also tend to work in bursts so you need a nice chunk of copper to maintain temperature consistently. Along with a way to move that much heat.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee

Post by Eviltechie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 am

I know somebody who works for a company that makes the actual peltier devices. They're working on developing a commercial CPU cooler (among other products). If I can get my hands on one, it would probably be one of the prototype coolers.

Their first generation product had the peltier in contact with the CPU. The heat was dissipated by two small conventional heatsinks and a small fan.

scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:34 am

not saying it can't be done, it has been done with limited success, just that it isn't simple or a new idea. Just warning about issues you would run into. There is also the nasty problem of the High current draw and the fact they don't work when they fail so you are left with a CPU that can quickly overheat.
prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:54 pm

scobywhru wrote:Because the AMD CPU isn't fast enough per core to be good at current gen games, let alone next gen games. He would do better going with a newer dual core then an AMD something like the i3-6100 with it's 20-50% faster per clock speed cores it would easily trounce that 8 core CPU. It's not that it can't turn around for DX12 but then Nvidia graphics cards are lacking throughput since DX12 is actually quite a bit based on the Mantle API. Upgrades are then as easy as switching CPUs.

Additionally if you do end up doing TEC cooling make sure the cold plate stays above dew point or you are going to have a very bad time.
i get 80-140fps no problem with an e model amd cpu in gta 5, and any other "new" game maxed out, depending on what i have my refresh set at. I don't really understand the AMD hate anymore.

you wanna talk money let me know, I can play any game out maxed at 4k or 1080p no problem, only spent 750$. He wants a budget system with the ability to play games at high fps with a moderately high resolution. AMD fits that perfectly as a high end amd cpu destroys mid tier intel cpu in price/performance graph. yes we get it, you vape-intel; we know intel is better than amd when it comes to raw performance. If you have no budget that's ok. Comparing a high end amd cpu to an i3 is digusting, i've had a dualcore i3 and i5, and my 100$ amd 8core blows that 200$ shit out the water by 10fold

pic related - it's me
Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah, with that kind of budget crunch you'll be better served going full AMD/Radeon, Techie. I used to have a Phenom II X4 965 before i upgraded to my newest build and it served me pretty well. AMD CPUs are down, but they're not out yet since they're GREAT when you're on a budget currently.

Few things to note (a couple of repeats here but hey);

1. Go for 8 cores. Seriously. Again, DX12 and Vulkan will thank you.

2. Don't worry about DDR4. You can get cheaper memory with DDR3 for the moment.

3. edited: i'm dumb and didn't read, IGNORE THIS ONE

4. Get a 1TB hard drive. Seriously. 500GB doesn't cut it anymore. (and for the love of god don't put Payday 2 on an SSD when it takes an absurd amount of writing to disk just to update)

Squirrel's suggestion will definitely fit the bill for motherboard/CPU in this case.