Computer stuck in an automatic repair loop

tech news, software/hardware support
Sanvich Hoovy

Computer stuck in an automatic repair loop

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I was having problems with my internet, and after googling the issue, a common solution seemed to be to uninstall antivirus software (specifically avast, which apparently has always had problems with windows 8).
So, I uninstalled it, and as a final step it required me to restart my computer. I did, and it loaded back up looking like this

minus the meme font at the bottom.
Going into "advanced options" leads me to

1)Hitting continue just restarts the computer and sends me back to the original page
2)Hitting troubleshoot brings me to this

1)Refreshing the PC again, just restarts it
2) Resetting the PC says it will delete p much my whole hard drive, which I'd prefer not to due yet
3) Advanced Options leads me to this

1) System Restore attempts to find a restore point, and fails. Sends me back to square 1.
2) System Image Recovery searches for a backup in my disk drive and finds nothing because I don't have one
3) Startup Repair restarts the computer, attempts a repair, and fails
4) Command prompts, well, opens a command prompt. I've tried googling the issue and plenty of people have suggested commands for me to type out, and most return with errors.
5)Startup settings tell me which keys to press when restarting to boot it into different modes. So far the only one that works is the boot logging manager, where I've moved the Windows Boot Manager to the bottom of the boot priority list, as someone suggested, and nothing.

Other solutions included removing the battery, which I can't do, and reinstalling windows 8 with a CD, which I don't have.

If anyone has any other ideas, lay em on me.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Roughjericho

Re: Computer stuck in an automatic repair loop

Post by Roughjericho » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:01 am

Stick your hard drive into another computer (or use a Linux live boot disk/USB if you have one) and get all the shit you need/still want off of it and onto another drive or a flash drive, then return it to yours and try resetting. IF that fails, it's boned and you're fucked on that end. My recommendation if that happens is to grab a copy of win10 (it's a great improvement over 8 imo) and just do a clean install.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:06 am

I've had/been having the same issue on my computer (hp envy). The first time (win8), I fixed it by "refreshing". The second time (win10), I fixed it by doing a manual reset (take out battery and hold down power button for ~30 s). since neither of those is viable for you, I don't know what to say, sorry man :(

side note: fuck HP and their shitty fucking laptops, never buying one again.
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Toxius

Post by Toxius » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 pm

I have had this exact thing happen before and yeah, you're better off grabbing what you need and doing a hard format and reinstall because I couldn't get mine out of the loop and had to just save what I could and start over.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:34 pm

So I did a factory reset of my hard drive, back to basics I guess. Shame I lost all my Desktop backgrounds, reaction images, and profile pictures. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

windows 10 is pretty good. I hate the nagging shit MS adds but it's easy to remove, definitely better than windows 8
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:33 pm

> you didn't back up your shit

did you just ignore me or somethin? :V

gonna repeat myself while simultaneously second Scooby's recommendation; win 10 is a damn good improvement over 8 (and an okay upgrade from 7 imho). The few things that bothered me were easily fixed by googling and going into settings.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:29 pm

Roughjericho wrote:> you didn't back up your shit

Their are a couple screws that won't come out so I couldn't physically open the computer to save the hard drive.

Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:50 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:
Roughjericho wrote:> you didn't back up your shit

Their are a couple screws that won't come out so I couldn't physically open the computer to save the hard drive.
ah, that sucks. You might want to look into getting or making yourself a Linux live USB/disk incase this happens in the future; being able to go in and grab your stuff before having to wipe the drive is a heck of a boon.