Spilled water on computer

tech news, software/hardware support
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Spilled water on computer

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:03 am

It didn't shut off immediately, which I assume is a good thing in the sense that the motherboard didn't short out. I turned the computer off as quickly as I could, so I'd say it was on for a little less than ten seconds after the spill. The display did turn into a single light blue color as soon as it happened, though. Right now I'm just taking individual parts out and letting them dry. How long should I let it dry for, a couple days? Is there a good way to facilitate drying? I hope my 980 isn't fucked
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Re: Spilled water on computer

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:46 pm

At 2-3 days are 100% dry because of the nooks and crannies on the some the parts. How long ago was it? And the best way to dry them is to let them sit in rice because of the absorbing properties of rice. Also open up the gpu. Then while you are waiting get new thermal paste to replace the old thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to ... r-damage#b
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Somehow nothing got fried. I was worried the graphics card shit itself when my display turned light blue.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Das good. For next time, I recommend using some kind of desiccant (like those gel packets you see in shoe boxes and pill bottles) or they sell some large containers of them for paint drying at lowes/home depot. Also, rice works from what I hear...
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Yes, throw rice into the wet computer. You can grow your own rice paddy in no time
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
seanhive

Post by seanhive » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:40 pm

My rig has been rice cooled since 2012 but if youre new to cooling you wouldnt understand