Little Big Planet

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Sizzler

Little Big Planet

Post by Sizzler » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:28 am

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php? ... ov&pl=game

Holy shit.

If you own a ps3, GET THIS GAME! It looks seriously awesome.
Ronin

Post by Ronin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:36 am

4sho
joe wrote:ignore all the dipshits, thanks for the post :)
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:04 am

Yep looks awesome.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
SixtyWattMan

Post by SixtyWattMan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:28 am

If only it wasn't for PS3. It looks so cool.
WOZZA wrote:And well done to destroying another topic..
TeXan

Post by TeXan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:07 pm

looks great >_< i wish ps3's would go down couple hundered bucks, if it were 400 i might buy one
oh yah well im taller than you ......... so yah
OHHHHHH YAHHHHHH

shortie
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:46 pm

SixtyWattMan wrote:If only it wasn't for PS3. It looks so cool.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
kaden

Post by kaden » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:41 pm

A bit off-topic, but the blu-ray players that come with the ps3... they only show difference between a dvd if you're only using a high definition tv right?
TeXan

Post by TeXan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:40 pm

kaden wrote:A bit off-topic, but the blu-ray players that come with the ps3... they only show difference between a dvd if you're only using a high definition tv right?

more space so like remember when games use to have alot of CD's and youd have to insert disk 2 to play in this world or w/e. Well if a game ever became so big that they wanted to do that they could.
oh yah well im taller than you ......... so yah
OHHHHHH YAHHHHHH

shortie
Sinistar
Xfire: Sinistar83

Post by Sinistar » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah the game looks like a lot of fun.. But is it out yet?

When I get a PS3, I'll get this game.
Visit Goozex to trade your old games and get newer ones for pennies on the dollar! I've traded on there for a while now and I can't recommend the site enough.
WOZZA

Post by WOZZA » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:05 pm

TallTexan wrote:
kaden wrote:A bit off-topic, but the blu-ray players that come with the ps3... they only show difference between a dvd if you're only using a high definition tv right?

more space so like remember when games use to have alot of CD's and youd have to insert disk 2 to play in this world or w/e. Well if a game ever became so big that they wanted to do that they could.
Developers have yet to use the full size of a DVD yet.

Bluray you wont notice much difference with films without an HDTV.
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

TallTexan wrote:

yeah but blue ray is sooo fucking slow that to keep load times down games like oblivion had to be put on the disk multiple times.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
TodPunk

Post by TodPunk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:06 pm

bugzbunny wrote:
TallTexan wrote:

yeah but blue ray is sooo fucking slow that to keep load times down games like oblivion had to be put on the disk multiple times.
No, Oblivion was just poorly written. IT had slow load times to begin with in its DVD version. You are correct on their wonky attempt to compensate though.

Honestly, though, speeds of discs have very little to do with the format or the amount on the disc. Moreso the speed at which the disc spins and the drive reads it. HD-DVD and Bluray are about the same transfer speeds at 1X.

Little Big Planet seems well written enough to do just fine with their load times from the videos I've seen. It's definitely possible to have a lot of content to load and still do it quickly.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:35 pm

Looks fucking seeeeeeeeeeeeeeexy

When I finally get a ps3 I will be sure to own this.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 pm

TodPunk wrote:
bugzbunny wrote:
TallTexan wrote:

No, Oblivion was just poorly written. IT had slow load times to begin with in its DVD version. You are correct on their wonky attempt to compensate though.

Honestly, though, speeds of discs have very little to do with the format or the amount on the disc. Moreso the speed at which the disc spins and the drive reads it. HD-DVD and Bluray are about the same transfer speeds at 1X.
ummm noo.

Blu-ray 1x: 36Mbps / 4.5MBps
12x DVD: 66 - 132Mbps / 8.2 - 16.5MBps

12x DVD is just under 4 times faster than blue ray. your attempt to blame poor load times on the programmers is teh fail.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
TodPunk

Post by TodPunk » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:18 pm

o.O

Does anyone else see a point there? I'm looking, but it eludes me. Seems like he's having a totally different conversation.

Both BLURAY and HDDVD (not DVD) are the SAME transfer rate.

As for comparison of what the DVD version of Oblivion was at compared to the Bluray version, I wasn't making a comparison to it. Such a comparison would be useless as it would assume that they weren't seeking for random data. In a movie, you just spin the disc and read for the most part. In a data track, if your program is VERY VERY linear, you read the bits in order. Otherwise, you read bits here, bits there, constantly changing. Bluray would be slower, sure, but the amount it would be slower would be silly. All things being equal, it would take 3 times as long to copy data from a DVD in a 12X drive (where did this 12x come from anyway? What uses it that you're such a fan of?).

All things are NOT equal, though, so at best, you get twice the performance out of the DVD drive, because there are so many other bottlenecks to the loading process.

My original point still stands, though. Other games on the PS3 do the loading just fine on Bluray discs, mostly because they don't program with their heads in the clouds. It's that whole argument that was given in the Vista thread. If the hardware is 3 times as powerful, that shouldn't mean the programmers write something that takes 3 times as long just because they're lazy. The same task should just take 1/3 of the time.

Why are the load times so INCREDIBLY longer on Oblivion than PS2 games with a 4x drive? It can't just be because there's more content. You can only blame so much on content, considering there are games on the PS2 that completely filled the DVD and loaded fine.

An interesting thought, and I'm certainly willing to concede on the speed of Bluray being considerably less. I'm just saying that regardless, Oblivion's developers weren't wearing their thinking caps the day they wrote the loading routines.