Anti-Gamestop Series

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Re: Anti-Gamestop Series

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:36 pm

People that work there are dicks or so antisocial they shouldn't be working in retail at all MOST of the time, it's a good place to get quick cash if you have old games you don't want and want to get a new one and you have no money, which is often the case with me.

Otherwise I avoid it as much as possible. I'd use those other sites if I had a method of buying shit online, but if I did then I'd actually have money to spend anyway soooo yeah.

I've heard a lot of bullshit about the extreme profit they make by ripping people off with their trade-in and sell-back rates, but hell if I've got an old game sitting around that wont get much on ebay or something anyway I figure might as well trade it in. If you go for store credit and trade in a bunch of old BS at once you can get decent $.

I try not to jump on FUCK CORPORATIONS BOYCOTT EVERYTHING FIGHT THE MACHINE bandwagons. I still shop at wal-mart and shit because it's cheap and it's convenient. And as long as that is a factor I'm going to continue to shop there. Etc. People bitch about capitalism too much, I think.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Who in the world doesn't know that Gamestop is a ridiculous scam when it comes to used game buying and selling rates? It's capitalism, get over it.

Nowadays I just reserve games that I really want on the first day there, and that's about it. I find some of the employees really insipid- a friend of mine hangs out with a guy who works there, and talking to me as a potential customer, he bitched about Bioshock to me and told me not to buy it, saying that FPS' aren't supposed to have stories and that he knew exactly what was going to happen 5 minutes in- fuckin' numbnuts. Some of the people that work there are just normal guys who like games, though.

It takes about 5 seconds max for them to recommend whatever they're required to recommend to you and then you can walk out the door (really pisses me off when people bitch about this and take it out on the employee instead of recognizing that it's their store policy). I was just at one today reserving Rock Band 2 for the fuck of it, and I wasn't asked to register an Edge card or pre-order Halo 4 or anything.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Along with what hellboy said, pretty much ANY retail environment will require it's employees to push some bullshit offers, usually a membership card or credit card of some sort. It's really lame how customers give them shit for it as if they are just pushing it to be annoying. It's one of the reasons I really don't want to work in retail.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:24 pm

pre-ordered warhammer collector's edition and they were supposed to give out a special card with beta codes and what not

instead they gave the cards to anyone who pre-ordered warhammer CE or Standard Edition so they ran out early

I almost didn't get my beta keys, while people who pre-ordered the regular game got my keys.
They tried to say that the keys were a limited thing or some bs

Took me about a week of calling them constantly and sending tons of emails before i got in contact with someone who gave me the keys i needed
Tuck

Post by Tuck » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 am

I want a shirt that says "Don't try to sell me your bullshit, or I'll take a shit on your doorstep."
yyyyyy
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 am

Then I say they deserve to get the shit end of the deal a couple times and learn first-hand for themselves that they can make wiser decisions about their purchases/sales. That's how I learned.

It sucks that they take advantage of old people and kids, but again, it's definitely nothing new, especially when it comes to the newest technologies.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 am

if people didn't shop there, they would go out of business.

sure they have a business model that makes a big profit off gamers. so what? that's how capitalism works. i don't like them so i haven't been in one in years.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Deski

Post by Deski » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:26 pm

I never really stop and thought about how much of a scam Gamestop is until I watched the first couple of videos. Looks like I'm not shopping there again.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 am

Pretty interesting. I'll probably not shop at Gamestop because of this.
Not much of a loss tbh
:)
Bandit_8[

Post by Bandit_8[ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am

I used to work near one, and on my smoke breaks the manager of that store and I would shoot the shit and smoke outside. When we rarely talked about our work, he often said how incredibly screwed up the company was.

For me, being out in the boonies without access to fast internet service (I had 56K only then, no access to cable, or DSL) getting games could only realistically be done by buying the box, rather than torrenting it, or getting it off steam, or something.

ANd getting UPS to deliver out in the wild country was a problem too, I had to drive 57 miles to the UPS place to pick it up because they could never manage to find my place. So buying cheap off the net from ebay or whatever was too expensive too.

So, I shopped there, didn't like it, and hated wal-mart worse.

But now I haven't been into a Gamestop in two years, and probably won't go back, there are a few locally owned used game stores I frequent, though, they often have really good bargains, and the people are very friendly, and knowledgable. Part of living organically is shopping at locally owned businesses.

Once I was in my locally owned game place, and I overheard the guy at the register (Prob the owner, or co-owner) tell a customer that, "If you try to bring in any more of this stolen wal-mart trash, I'm gonna call the cops..."

That made me think that at least at that store they don't take stolen merch.

But how could I know.
"Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of killing unwanted babies, it's just that the idea of letting women make a decision doesn't sit well with me." - Zach Braff on abortion.
Obi Juan

Post by Obi Juan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am

they should have a age limit on how old u need to be to sell the games, i have seen little kids trading in like 10 games at a time for 1 even crappier game.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Very interesting videos.

thanks for posting
Obi Juan

Post by Obi Juan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:01 pm

last time i was at Gamestop was when "Army of Two" came out and i swore i wouldn't go back to that local store. The MANAGER refused to sell me a in-stock game because i didn't pre-ordered it and said he hated people who don't pre-order games, since everyone wont get one now.

I got into a argument with him saying Pre-Ordering was pointless since every time i come in they have more than enough in stock, this triggered him to be a asshole and say "well not this time, someone called and put all these on hold and you should have pre-ordered it" as far as i know they don't hold games when their is a paying customer at the store.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:56 am

a week ago I went to gamesstop because they had a sign up that said "Spore new 10% off" and I though alright, that's a pretty good deal so I went in. The clerk seemed like a pretty nice guy, but then he did something I couldn't believe! When I was buying the game he slid open the game box and bent down and took a shit in it before charging me like nothing was wrong. I don't care what anyone says, a game inst new unless it's sealed from the factory!