EA DRM madness

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
happymarriedguy

EA DRM madness

Post by happymarriedguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 pm

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedt ... #more-1969

Money quote:
In that thread, an EA rep explains to users that if they get banned from the forums, their game account will be banned as well. Which will lock them out of all of their games which require activation.
IE even single player ones....
Magnus

Re: EA DRM madness

Post by Magnus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Man that makes me so angry to see that. I honestly think this is way overstepping their bounds. Just because I bought a game from them and act like a dick on their forums and get banned I should still be able to pay for a game that I purchased from them regardless.
Thats like me playing my radio way too loud then someone coming along and saying I can't listen to the radio anymore, EVER, because I was annoying others.
Also, I don't think EULA or TOS hold any legal ground because you can't agree to something after purchasing a game, the only way it could be legal is if they stated the EULA or ToS before you purchase the game.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm

lolEA
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Trizik

Post by Trizik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

joe wrote:lolEA
yeah, EA is the worst thing to happen to gaming and i'm not saying that lightly

all they are good for is catering to the masses by dumbing down what was originally only describable as an experience like no other
DAK

Post by DAK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Who buys EA games?

~DAK~
a1dan wrote:LOL SKID/DAK LOOK AT THIS POST I MADE ON JOE.TO THIS IS HILARIOUS I AM TROLLING THEM SO HARD.
Fuck you're boring.
molf

Post by molf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 pm

DAK wrote:Who buys EA games?

~DAK~
Everyone who bought Dead Space.
Proud member of the Church of Hubology
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 pm

and everyone who bought battlefield games

oh and all retail Valve games go through EA now
jermm

Post by jermm » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 am

Bought an EA game toady (RockBand 2), will do with L4D (though Steam version is probably 100% Valve...)
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:23 am

Wouldn't this only apply to games registered on their Download manager? Why would you register a Single Player game on that?
happymarriedguy

Post by happymarriedguy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:47 pm

bl4nk wrote:Wouldn't this only apply to games registered on their Download manager? Why would you register a Single Player game on that?
You'd be required to go online to activate the game, even for single player (like XP, and Vista I'm assuming).
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:28 pm

I've never seen a game like that, and it would be retarded to start now.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:38 pm

well then, if you get a game you have to register, write a letter to them, yapping about not having internet and whatnot. they can't force you to have an interner conection, and thy can't check to se if you have one, you can sue them for intruding your privacy
happymarriedguy

Post by happymarriedguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:06 pm

bl4nk wrote:I've never seen a game like that, and it would be retarded to start now.
I agree about the intelligence of it, but they're already out. I know I've seen game boxes that state on the back that they're single player only....and that inet connection is required. I know that when I bought the Orange Box, I couldn't play HL2 or Portal until I connected to the internet to authenticate it (I'm not mentioning tf2 because it's an online game). From doing a quick check, "Crysis: Warhead" and "Mass Effect" both require online activation before playing.
happymarriedguy

Post by happymarriedguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Rat-morningstar wrote:well then, if you get a game you have to register, write a letter to them, yapping about not having internet and whatnot. they can't force you to have an interner conection, and thy can't check to se if you have one, you can sue them for intruding your privacy
Maybe, but on the back it will say that an internet connection is required to play the game, so they will say "If you read the back of the box, you'd know that you needed to have a connection to play." They treat it as a system requirement, like a video card or RAM.