arma II

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
joe
The Big Cheese

arma II

Post by joe » Tue May 19, 2009 7:08 am

anyone getting this? i'm about 75% planning on it.

it's a "realistic" FPS modern combat sim where you have squad tactics and complex goals like blow up an enemy airstrip or rescue hostages or both if possible. plus it has vehicles! sounds pretty awesome

i never played Arma (the first) but i heard great things. apparently the main weakness was enemy AI in single player and the graphics sucked. however i plan to play arma 2 online only and the graphics are at least decent.

i'd love to play this with j2 people. it's coming out june 19. let me know if you're planning to get it!

some arma 2 articles
http://kotaku.com/tag/arma-ii/

he 27th U.S. Marine Expeditionary Unit has been deployed to the former soviet republic of Chernarus: a small country chained to the threat of an upcoming civil war. Force Reconnaissance Team "Razor" is among the first to fight. This elite five-man team is about to fall down the rabbit hole, trapped in a war not only for control of the country, but also the hearts and minds of its people. With the might of the USMC offshore and Russia anxiously watching from the north, the stakes couldn't be higher. The fate of Chernarus is balanced on a razor's edge...

* Key features: Player-driven story: Players will have the opportunity to command members of Force Recon Team Razor through a branching campaign full of twists and surprises. ARMA II integrates a combination of preset conversations with dynamic queries about the game environment: the revolutionary "dynamic conversation system" which brings to the player a unique gaming experience in a movie-like style. Players can talk to soldiers in the field and civilians caught up during fights to gather the Intel they need to further advance in the game. As a pure military simulator, there are linguistic difficulties while speaking to native citizens if you don't know their native tongue. Chernarussian's NPC's speak Czech, US NPC's speak English and Russian NPC's speak Russian, etc.
* Reality check: Bohemia Interactive's standard 225 square kilometers of highly detailed sandbox landscape, modeled with stunning detail and precision and using real-world geographical data, covered by 235 megapixel of accurate aerial map (15.3602 pixels) and more than 1 million objects. This game is a true environment master piece, never seen before in first person shooter type games with 81 weapons and 136 vehicle models created to an exacting real-world schematics with extreme precision, including 350 kilometers of roads, 50 cities and villages full of life.
* Authentic military simulation: ARMA II simulates various aspects of combat and environment effects form bullet ballistics and deflection to material penetration, tracers, varying ammunition types and stopping power, to supersonic bullet crack and weather conditions. ARMA II benefits from the 3rd generation Real Virtuality engine featuring advanced and semi-autonomous AI. Players will compete with the ultimate next-gen AI: no scripts, no predefined pathways, and no repetitive gameplay. All units react to actual game situations and use the open environment to their advantage. Soldiers shout and use hand gestures based on real world military doctrine, actively seeking and using cover and also taking advantage of suppressive fire techniques. The ARMA II system is so complex and effective that the same simulation technology is used to train real soldiers in numerous countries around the world.
* Live war: the campaign missions can be experienced in cooperative mode, or players can join for duty in the massive multiplayer battles with up to 50 players. Among standard MP modes is Warfare, introduced in ArmA: Armed Assault, a unique combination of RTS and tactical FPS which allows players to choose whether to control the combat with detailed base management or instead to operate guerilla hit-and-run tactics focusing on attack rather than defense.
* Unlimited Creativity: An intuitive and easy-to-use built in mission editor, together with powerful modding tools, infinitely extends the gameplay of ARMA II and moves it far above the standard gaming experience. More than 200 character models, 81 weapons, 136 vehicles are ready to be used in an enormous 225 square kilometers sandbox map. Players can use default models or create completely new models and mods can be shared with other players all around the world.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
kevkingofthesea
King of the Sea
<font color=#0080BF>King of the Sea</font>

Re: arma II

Post by kevkingofthesea » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look at this a bit.
Still not dead.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 am

very positive new review of the game. i'm getting more excited about it...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/arma-ii-hands-on
While an elaborate campaign and intrinsic co-op play are what will sell the game, it's the amazingly easy to use editor that will keep people playing. You can create a war in minutes, then immediately jump into it as a soldier, civilian or dumb animal of your choice. The editor is truly remarkable, and astoundingly accessible.
There is an incredible amount to learn before you can master ArmA II - this is a game that involves FPS gunplay, squad tactics, ground and air vehicle piloting skills, a sort of RTS-like army-management system, and eventually setting up an autonomous wartime economy across a vast island. This is truly the maxi-game
As the campaign strides on, you'll move from being given missions to choosing them, and eventually to doling them out to the rest of your army
ArmA incorporates much of the community's finest hours out of the box (BIS even hiring some of this fan army as freelance designers), but of course there's that astoundingly quick editor. The need for elaborate scripting is removed, with preset AI behaviours selectable from a drop-down menu, but the option to wade in deep remains. The really epic conversions will still require dedication and possibly a touch of madness, but now anyone can create and share a custom conflict. With 136 vehicles (each with 40 different sound samples, incredibly) there's scope to sketch out monstrously huge skirmishes - the number of on-screen units limited only by your processor.
it's one of the most ambitious videogames ever made

a bunch of videos here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05 ... the-games/
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 am

I can't keep up with all the games you play joe, you have more games than you do hairs on your head. It's hard to keep track of it all.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am

actually im not playing anything exciting right now. to be honest i play a little 2142, which is 3 years old, and a little wc3, which is.. 8 years old? and a little tf2. but those are all just to kill time. there's nothing i'm really excited about right now.

i'm mostly waiting for SC2, D3, this arma2 game, and maybe RB beatles and GH5.

speaking of which another little preview of it:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05 ... iscussion/
That it escalates from being a guy with a gun, to a guy with a helicopter, to a guy that orders around an entire army and who can build bases, is extraordinary.
From what I’ve seen, which was a brief hands-on session, it’s still about ten times as tricky as the next hardest FPS to get the hang of. It’s hugely configurable - and the FPSness is good, you can hop over low walls, lean, and do all the other stuff you should be able to do in an FPS.
There’s going to be a steep curve. I was ordering around troops and instantly getting lost in the command menus.
At the briefing, they had signs showing three separate sets of keyboard controls - each of which involved most of the keyboard.

Alec: Cow hunt could be a great mode - everyone as bovines, one guy with a machine gun.

Jim: Haha! Can the cows escape into the woods? Assuming the animals are still playable, that was unconfirmed last I heard.

Alec: It was in there when I saw the game. I was merrily steering a cow through a warzone.

Jim: Awesome.
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 am

Sounds confusing, I'm more of a lackey than I am a commander. Is there an option to follow under someone elses command?
Bandit_8[

Post by Bandit_8[ » Wed May 27, 2009 10:18 am

What else has Bohemia done? The image (I didn't watch any video) looks similar to some of the sims we used in the U.S. Army Armor School at Ft. Knox.
"Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of killing unwanted babies, it's just that the idea of letting women make a decision doesn't sit well with me." - Zach Braff on abortion.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 am

as i understand it, these are previews of the single player campaign, showing the breadth and depth of the game itself.

i am planning to play it multiplayer online as an FPS though. i'm hoping/imagining it to be something like BF2 on steroids.

i want to hear what nipper thinks, since i am just a windsock and he is the wind
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 am

He blows you?
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am

LOL :lol:
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 pm

his spirit fills me and moves me
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 pm

looks terrible
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 27, 2009 11:14 pm

my heart is broken

arma II i hardly knew ye
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Thu May 28, 2009 9:33 am

dw joe, i still think it's nice
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:26 pm

it's out in germany and although i can't read the reviews i've seen a lot of very positive comments

here's a new, longer video showing off more stuff
ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/www.armeda ... 720pAV.zip
you can also watch the video on the homepage
http://www.arma2.com/

edit: more news, apparently arma 2 will be released on Steam and you can pre-order it now
http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

i'm planning to pirate it as a demo, and if it seems cool buy it and play it multiplayer online constantly
i was really excited about it - seemed like everything i loved from BF 2142 but even better - but skimming the steam forums, almost every post is negative :( not because the game sucks, just because it's buggy. so hopefully a patch can fix it
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/f ... .php?f=368

here's a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba87Rr-F6os

i dont like the missing health indicator although he could have just turned the HUD off