Ask me SC2 questions

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Total Newbie

Re: Ask me SC2 questions

Post by Total Newbie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 am

http://www.gomtv.net/videos/

Stick with Avertel Intel Classic. Tasteless is alone for season 1, then a girl named Suzie came in to help but she wasn't really cut out for it (don't really blame her), and then SuperDanielMan (ex-pro gamer, ex-coach of.. eStros?) came on and now he and Tasteless do a really good job.

If you want to learn more about the game, watch Tasteless's commentaries, he does a really good job of explaining everything. With so many games in the MSL/OSL, they barely have enough time to get around to the good ones as it is (haha have fun doing FBH vs Flash, it's an hour long).
Diggity
resident expendable statistic

Post by Diggity » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I meant more like being able to count units quickly, seeing a caster in the middle of a bunch of other units, etc.
it is veryyyy easy to identify casters. The interface also made counting units a breeze. (there are 8 units displayed to a single grouped line)
Ohh, Canonfoder = Diggity.. makes sense now.

Thought everyone knew...
Does the game still have a world editor for easy custom maps and game-types ?
I am told that they will release the map editor with the beta
diggity: i've been watching a ton of commentaries lately, from greth, cholera and moletrap and i have to say yours are my favorite. not because you have Old Friend status but because you seem like the most thoughtful, you make the fewest mistakes, and you aren't insulting to the players like the other guys often can be.

one thing that i rarely hear that i think would add some character to your commentaries for new players like me is to explain/predict opposing strategies to what you are observing. like if a dude is sieging with 10 tanks, i'm wondering what the normal response to that would be? or when someone makes a mistake, what they SHOULD have done instead. something like
bisu has chosen rock, usually the best move for that is paper
boxer has paper, bisu will probably start working on scissors
bisu is working on scissors, i think the best counter to that is to make some rock

etc.
I will try to do that when appropriate in the future. <3 joe
http://www.gomtv.net/videos/

Stick with Avertel Intel Classic. Tasteless is alone for season 1, then a girl named Suzie came in to help but she wasn't really cut out for it (don't really blame her), and then SuperDanielMan (ex-pro gamer, ex-coach of.. eStros?) came on and now he and Tasteless do a really good job.

If you want to learn more about the game, watch Tasteless's commentaries, he does a really good job of explaining everything. With so many games in the MSL/OSL, they barely have enough time to get around to the good ones as it is (haha have fun doing FBH vs Flash, it's an hour long).
Tasteless is a nice guy and a great caster. Honestly I do not like Daniel Lee's casting at all. The general formula he follows 1) repeat tasteless 2) talk about guerrilla tactics 3) talk about some old estro player like Giyom or Sangho.
<diggity>
Majin

Post by Majin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm going to ask the good questions here, can you describe battle.net to us? Every other place hasn't done such, but what's new/different about it and how does it look so far?

"Alright i'm outta here." -- FUTURAMA won't you come back?
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Heh, judging from the write-up by SC2GG and other websites, at the hands-on demonstration of SC2, battle.net wasn't fully complete so they didn't show all of it off, or any. According to Kotaku they said they got to see what it looks like (not allowed to show) but not any of the functionability or anything.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:55 pm

i read the team-liquid account and they mentioned diggity by name and said he was one seat in front of the blizzard people doing the live cast.

my thoughts:

1. you must have been fucking STOKED. how incredibly surreal for you to hear a live commentary AT BLIZZARD, BY BLIZZARD EMPLOYEES

2. omfg we have a celebrity at j2. quick, whip up some Diggity '09 Freedom Tour t-shirts for ebay
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Total Newbie

Post by Total Newbie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Another thing, has Blizzard mentioned anything about balancing the game after the beta? I imagine they would, but IIRC Starcraft was being balanced years after the game was released and with the competitive scene what it is now, I can see any balancing by Blizzard having a large effect on the pro scene after the first few months/first year.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 pm

they will patch it with minor gameplay adjustments because that's what they do

Starcraft and Warcraft 2 and 3 worked the same way
cold_blade

Post by cold_blade » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 pm

SC2: Is it true that there will not be a LAN? What's with the rumor/plan to have 3 separate games? how's that gonna work? they like expansions or stand-alone? how will battle.net work with the 3 game/expansion system? will each pack add new units? Will we need all 3 packs to play a proper B.net game? (like need all the expansions for all units, like what happened with SC1/WC3) If you DO need all the packs for all the units will this hinder you B.net play? (as WC3 and SC did, you need the expansions to play most maps)

B.net: will battle.net be able to distinguish who the host is? will players/map makers be able to see and manipulate who this is? (i.e in WC3/SC1 some maps wold require settings at the beginning of the game, is there a way to set those to host or will it remain player1's job) will players be able to pass host at will? (in WC3 is if the host leaves the game chooses the most compatible candidate for hosting, can we now choose at will while in game? will this effect host commands, if there are any)

map editor: Will there be a supported model editor?

please ask if you need clarification, I REALLY want these answered!
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm

From what I hear before, there is going to be 3 separate games. One for each of the races, it's claimed that each of these games has as many campaigns as the full SC1 game. Also from what I heard was that you only needed 1 game to play on B.Net and you can play all 3 races, it's just that you don't have the campaigns for the other 2 races on that current game.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 am

are they going to be released at the same time then?
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:20 am

Nope, they'll all be coming out at later times.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty will be the first game (though they like to call them expansions) and it will be focused on the Terran... no word on the others that I know of.
cold_blade

Post by cold_blade » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Bloodkraze wrote:Nope, they'll all be coming out at later times.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty will be the first game (though they like to call them expansions) and it will be focused on the Terran... no word on the others that I know of.
I know they've announced all the names, the protoss is last i think called tales of the void? maybe? something of the void
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
Diggity

Post by Diggity » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:21 pm

1. you must have been fucking STOKED. how incredibly surreal for you to hear a live commentary AT BLIZZARD, BY BLIZZARD EMPLOYEES
Hell yes I was!
2. omfg we have a celebrity at j2. quick, whip up some Diggity '09 Freedom Tour t-shirts for ebay
I dont know about celebrity...
Another thing, has Blizzard mentioned anything about balancing the game after the beta? I imagine they would, but IIRC Starcraft was being balanced years after the game was released and with the competitive scene what it is now, I can see any balancing by Blizzard having a large effect on the pro scene after the first few months/first year.
Most of the top US players don't believe it will be balanced for the first 2 years.
SC2: Is it true that there will not be a LAN? What's with the rumor/plan to have 3 separate games? how's that gonna work? they like expansions or stand-alone? how will battle.net work with the 3 game/expansion system? will each pack add new units? Will we need all 3 packs to play a proper B.net game? (like need all the expansions for all units, like what happened with SC1/WC3) If you DO need all the packs for all the units will this hinder you B.net play? (as WC3 and SC did, you need the expansions to play most maps)

B.net: will battle.net be able to distinguish who the host is? will players/map makers be able to see and manipulate who this is? (i.e in WC3/SC1 some maps wold require settings at the beginning of the game, is there a way to set those to host or will it remain player1's job) will players be able to pass host at will? (in WC3 is if the host leaves the game chooses the most compatible candidate for hosting, can we now choose at will while in game? will this effect host commands, if there are any)
They didn't mention anything about b.net. There were still some bugs with it so they didn't release it. I assume that they plan on emulating a steam sort of system which is why they are getting rid of lan. Even so I am sure you will be able to find some patch/crack to play on lan.
map editor: Will there be a supported model editor?
No idea actually
are they going to be released at the same time then?
Almost certainly not.
<diggity>
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:23 pm

god what the fuck

what was wrong with the way sc1 did single player expansions? I know it's like a TON of content but I think it's dumb as fuck that the single player will be only one race
Diggity

Post by Diggity » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:42 pm

what was wrong with the way sc1 did single player expansions? I know it's like a TON of content but I think it's dumb as fuck that the single player will be only one race

It will be all 3 races I assume.
<diggity>