Any fighting game love 'round har? Yes. Yes there is.

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Re: Any fighting game love 'round har? Yes. Yes there is.

Post by MasterWholigans » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Thank you SO MUCH Derp for the response!! ;u; That really helps a TONNNNN to make my decision easier! c":

I guess I'm really not using a laptop to replace my current desktop, it's more of an additional computer I can use around traveling and whatnot, but I decided that if I'm gonna drop cash on one I should at least get something nice!! I'll eventually get around to building a new computer/replacing this current Desktop SOMETIME because it's getting pretty outdated. I'm completely fine with how my desktop runs right now however for everything else! It pretty much does exactly everything I need it to do besides playing some higher end games.
Derp wrote:...as long as you make sure you get one with a powerful GPU you should be ok if you're not expecting it to run recent games on high settings. If you want something to play games like Ultra SF4, Skullgirls, KoF XIII SE, LoL, DotA 2, SC2, etc., games that don't have high sys requirements, you shouldn't even have to spend that much.
That's exactly the kind of games I was thinking about!! Probably emulators like GGPO, Skullgirls, SF4, KOF XIII SE, Civilization 5, Team Fortress 2, some shmups, etc. are gonna be the bulk of my gaming, because I really don't buy a lot of "recent" AAA title games for my PC, like Crysis and Skyrim. I'll usually buy those on PS3 instead. The most recent game I can remember trying to play but had trouble with was Dark Souls, I couldn't run that worth a crap 3: But Pentagram hit the nail on the head, my PC's being bottlenecked by the REST of my system, since I have an okay graphics card (GeForce 9800 GTX, 909 rating on that benchmark site) but nothing else in my computer is up to date for gaming.

AND you make a really good point about heat, I didn't think about how hot a Laptop would get. O_O I guess I could live with it, although I assume if I'd be "gaming" with it, it'd be on a table wherever I'm at instead of my lap. But I'll have to keep that in mind while I'm shopping around, it didn't even cross my mind!

I'm completely new to Guilty Gear BTW! I never played any of the games before, I hopped into training mode with Sol for about an hour and watched some Guilty Bits episodes and I can already tell this game's gonna be REALLY complicated. O_O I'm gonna have to find a character I like- which I really like May so far!!- and we'll have to practice with each other!! :D
Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Post by Derp » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 pm

MasterWholigans wrote:I'm completely new to Guilty Gear BTW! I never played any of the games before, I hopped into training mode with Sol for about an hour and watched some Guilty Bits episodes and I can already tell this game's gonna be REALLY complicated. O_O I'm gonna have to find a character I like- which I really like May so far!!- and we'll have to practice with each other!! :D
Oh awesome, I hope you like it. I highly recommend cranking up the volume when you play, the soundtrack is amazing, was always one of my favorite things about the game. I was messing in training mode for awhile the other day but I'm hesitant to practice combos much since +R should be coming out any day now, and that'll change up quite a bit for some characters. I really hope the +R update drops for US PSN on Tuesday!

As for characters I like, the ones that immediately jump out at me are A.B.A., Chipp, Johnny, Ky, Millia, or Sol. I originally thought Millia sounded awesome but it seems like she's pretty advanced, lots of character specific combos... I'll have to give it a shot though. Right now Chipp sounds really fun even though he's the most fragile character in the game with mostly garbage damage output. Just waiting for +R update to put some more time in like I said. Hope we can play sometime soon, nothing serious just super casual games to get used to it more is fine with me.

About the game being complicated, yeah it definitely is, can't argue that. I think I'm gonna try to focus on at least being able to combo into a knockdown from most situations and run some super basic okizeme, even if I just stick with easier low damage stuff. Gonna have to know the gatling tables for the characters I want to use at least so I know how I can combo into sweep.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Not really fighting game related, but I ended up buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834231089 so I'll be pretty much future-proof to hell and back as far as computer power goes for a LONG time from now. ^_^

I picked up Final Fantasy XIV so that's gonna be consuming a LOTTTT of my would-be fighting game time, but if you guys ever do a GGPO night or something I'm ALL in! C:
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 pm

you and I, we fight in street yes?

yes.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Derp

Post by Derp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Very nice laptop! We should have a fight night this Friday or something, Yatagarasu and GGPO games sound good to me. And whatever else people that participate want to play.

I recently found out there is a small group of people (like 6 regulars) in my city that meet every other Friday or so to play fighting games, mostly a SF4 centric group, gonna have to try to go out to their next meetup that I can make it to. Talked to the guy that's been hosting it and he seems pretty cool, trying to see if he's willing to have it in a local LAN center/gaming cafe place rather than his apartment, might be able to grow it into something. Partially because of this and partially just because I want something new and fancy, I'm looking to buy a nice arcade stick that is PS3/360/PC compatible. One of my buddies that I've been playing fighting games with recently said he would buy my PS3 TE from me, so that just makes me want one more. Wholigans, do you have any arcade sticks still laying around that you don't need? I would be interested in buying one from you if so!

Anyone know of any good deals on arcade sticks right now or coming up in the future?
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Derp wrote:Very nice laptop! We should have a fight night this Friday or something, Yatagarasu and GGPO games sound good to me.
Heck yes! I'd be alright with a Friday Fight Night! >:3 That casuals night sounds cool too around you, totally go check it out!!! ^_^
Derp wrote:Wholigans, do you have any arcade sticks still laying around that you don't need? I would be interested in buying one from you if so!

Anyone know of any good deals on arcade sticks right now or coming up in the future?
Sadly, the only other extra stick I have available is another Madcatz PS3 TE, so practically exactly what you had already, lol. I'd go with an Eightarc all the way though!! Excellent sticks for great prices! They don't usually go on sale though sadly, so if you're thinking about it, they're great sticks! :3
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 am

:cry: why is this guy on the streets?
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm still down tonight to have a Fight Night for whatever fighting games anyone's in the mood for!! :D I get off work at 5:30 Cen, but should be completely free afterwards! /AND/ for anyone that doesn't really wanna fight, I tested it out last night and can 100% run a stream lag-free if you guys are interested!

And speaking of streaming, I'm actually thinking about starting a weekly Friday Night fight night to stream. Details will be posted here soon!
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Guys! My stream is becoming a reality!!! :D!!! Every Friday Night, I will be hosting "Friday Night Slugfest" at www.twitch.tv/masterwholigans from 7 -> 11 PM Central~! ^_^ It'll be featuring open lobbies for players of all skills to partake in! All the details/updates I'll be posting to this Tumblr page as well as my Twitter, @MasterWholigans.

This week's game will be Yatagarasu, will you guys be able to join in? C:
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 pm

dude il surely watch your stream
Derp

Post by Derp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Very doubtful I'll be present, planning to go on a camping trip this weekend. Oh and if that somehow falls through I should be going to those bi-weekly casuals that I recently found out about. Very cool though, hope you get a nice turnout and people have a good time! If it's kind of sparse I wouldn't worry about it, might take a few test runs before you get regulars showing up.

Also, I started hitting training mode some more for AE2012... trying to level up my Vega. Learning new setups and working on my links, feel like I'm making some progress! I really want to get better... might try to pick up Sakura or something too, she has a lot of the stuff that Vega lacks that tends to frustrate me.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:30 am

Hey no worries Derp!! ^_^ Have fun camping! Unless if falls through- then totally have fun going to those casuals you found out about!! You're such a freaking good player overall, you've got smarts, execution, and a general 'sense' for things. You'll be able to level up a lot by going to those casuals! And thanks Django! ;u; Just having someone interested in my stream made my entire morning and I can't stop smiling c': I'm like REALLY hype to be doing this!! I've even reached out to a Japanese Yatagarasu player and (from Google Translate told me -u-; ) he's gonna try and get some Japanese talent on stream. I'm so pumped. B)

DUDE DERP pick up Sakura! ^_^ I think she could pick up the slack that Vega's leaving behind! If you EVER want any games in, just ask this guy. c: I'm totally up for games on PC AE now! n_n You could also help me level up my Yun! :D!
Derp

Post by Derp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:15 pm

^Thanks for the kind words man, always a pleasure to play with you. Feels like we're always learning stuff while we play. We're definitely a lot better than we were back in 2010 when Tatters started this thread! Hope your fight night goes well!
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:59 am

I just came back home
whens mahvel, masterwhooligans?
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Tonight I'm hosting my stream again, 7->11 PM CST!! ^_^ Tonight's open lobby will be hosted through Super Duper Fightguys IV Arcade Edition (PC/Steam!) and will again be at www.twitch.tv/masterwholigans Hope to see some of you guys there! n_n!!