Any fighting game love 'round har? Yes. Yes there is.

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Re: Any fighting game love 'round har? Yes. Yes there is.

Post by Derp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm a bit disappointed that it's as much like XX as it is (character attacks look mostly the exact same), but it still looks awesome, looking forward to it. Hoping they make a good amount of new characters and add a sufficient amount of attacks to each character to notably change how they play. Even if they don't, though, I've never really "gotten into" Guilty Gear before, never put any notable amount of time into training mode or anything, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless. I'm also hoping that the game is just easier to play in general, easier combos and basic execution requirements. I did read those impressions and someone said that they increased hitstop somewhat... that seems to be a step in the right direction, I hope they make the input buffer a bit more lenient as well.

I still have XX Accent Core + (I think it's updated to +R now actually) on PSN, if anyone is at all interested in playing/learning that game with me I'm interested! Post here and let me know. If I haven't played with you before, I'm a pretty average player in general (definitely not tourney level), nothing spectacular, defense isn't great, so you don't have to worry about me being some monster like Base with Zappa. I'm pretty casual about it and prefer to laugh at my horrible losses rather than get upset about it. I do consider myself to have a very good understanding of all of the mechanics of fighting games, though. Always hunting for frame data.

Oh, and Friday night was very fun even though I was just playing with MasterWholigans 80% of the time haha. We had some great games! I felt like we were improving a lot as we played too. I really like Yatagarasu, I wish I would have remembered to upgrade my perk to Open Access for the beta, oh well. Down for playing that whenever you guys want to, check for me on Steam. Hope we can get more people on board for next time. Zeno, are you interested at all in playing any fighters online with us? PC or PSN for me and MasterWholigans. We have a steam group for j2 fighting game players that we're trying to revive.

So what do you guys think? Wanna go for another Yatagarasu night soon? Or something on GGPO? AE2012? Or maybe just a "meet up and play whatever the heck people want to" night?
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
Base

Post by Base » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 am

I wish I had a PS3. I'd kill to have that new Zappa sword right now.

XRD looks fucking sweet. There's a good reason why their keeping a lot of the moves the same, and it's mostly due to legacy; but it's also because there's a delicate balance that's been established from all these characters interactions.

I wanna see what the new Dragon Install for Sol looks like, apparently it's more 'gearish'. They will probably add a lot more characters before launch, I bet, especially considering it's due to release on the XBone and PS4 next year anyways. I really hope Zappa makes it in.

Yatagarasu is fun but haven't had time to play it lately. Got too much work to do haha. Hit me on steam for some games sometime this week and I'll play some. Got some art I need to finish very quickly however.

Edit: OH, and if you ever have any questions about GG, feel free to ask! I'd be happy to help new people get into the game.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm gonna be free all night tonight- anyone down for games? I can buy Guilty Gear tonight and I'd love to start learning that!! n_n Otherwise I'd be hungry for more Yatagarasu games or anything on GGPO! Basically I just wanna play fighting games :)
Derp

Post by Derp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm

MasterWholigans wrote:I'm gonna be free all night tonight- anyone down for games? I can buy Guilty Gear tonight and I'd love to start learning that!! n_n Otherwise I'd be hungry for more Yatagarasu games or anything on GGPO! Basically I just wanna play fighting games :)
Me, me! Don't have anything going on tonight that I know of yet, down for fights. Should be on Steam a little bit later.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Derp wrote:
MasterWholigans wrote:I'm gonna be free all night tonight- anyone down for games? I can buy Guilty Gear tonight and I'd love to start learning that!! n_n Otherwise I'd be hungry for more Yatagarasu games or anything on GGPO! Basically I just wanna play fighting games :)
Me, me! Don't have anything going on tonight that I know of yet, down for fights. Should be on Steam a little bit later.
Awesome! I'll be off of work any time soon, just shoot me a message on Steam whenever you're down for games! C:
Derp

Post by Derp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Hmm guess I gotta go help my cousin move furniture, dunno how long it'll take, should still be able to play some later
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I feel fucking dirty for it but I bought UMvC3 for like $10 used.

May as well practice this thing a bit.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 am

Pentagram.J2 wrote:I feel fucking dirty for it but I bought UMvC3 for like $10 used.

forget about it, killer instinct is the new meta of fighting games
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:31 am

My computer was under repair most of last night, it wasn't getting past the boot-up screen D: Sorry if you were waiting last night for any games! ;n; Sorry!
Derp

Post by Derp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Pentagram.J2 wrote:I feel fucking dirty for it but I bought UMvC3 for like $10 used.

If I found it for $10 or less somewhere I'd buy it too. I still only have vanilla MvC3.

And don't worry about it Wholigans, I actually was busy helping my cousin until pretty late and then he ended up staying over at my place since his bed was in the garage... haha. Hope your computer problems are fixed!
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 am

OH then it kinda worked out alright for the both of us! ^_^ My PC's all better! :D I'm thinking of upgrading it though to a gaming laptop now with some extra Financial Aid money I'll have left over from College (~$1,000) I've had my old PC since I started 7th grade and never upgraded 3: Anyone have any good recommendations here for an amazing gaming laptop that's not skimping out on power for around $1,000-1,500? I'll probably end up making a dedicated thread about it later on in the Tech section, but I thought I might as well post here while I'm checking this thread X3

OH OH OH AND I BOUGHT GUILTY GEAR. I'll either be playing that or hosting a Yatagarasu lobby tonight, if anyone's down for either let me know either through here or Twitter! n_n
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I wouldnt suggest a laptop. With that you could build a pretty decent system
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I know a desktop is supposed to be an optimal choice if you're a gamer, which HECK you're right, I could build a pretty sick rig with that amount of extra cash. ^_^ But with how much traveling I've been doing (Girlfriend is 2 hours away, traveling for tournaments, seeing out of town friends, while on campus between classes, etc.) I thought it'd be kinda a nice luxury to have a good gaming laptop for on the go. C: I'll be keeping my desktop for sure, that's not going anywhere! But it's definitely more of a luxury than anything. ;u;

(PLUS I NEED SOMETHING THAT CAN PLAY AE / ULTRA AT CONSTANT QUALITY)
Derp

Post by Derp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:47 pm

MasterWholigans wrote:OH then it kinda worked out alright for the both of us! ^_^ My PC's all better! :D I'm thinking of upgrading it though to a gaming laptop now with some extra Financial Aid money I'll have left over from College (~$1,000) I've had my old PC since I started 7th grade and never upgraded 3: Anyone have any good recommendations here for an amazing gaming laptop that's not skimping out on power for around $1,000-1,500? I'll probably end up making a dedicated thread about it later on in the Tech section, but I thought I might as well post here while I'm checking this thread X3

OH OH OH AND I BOUGHT GUILTY GEAR. I'll either be playing that or hosting a Yatagarasu lobby tonight, if anyone's down for either let me know either through here or Twitter! n_n
Oh awesome we should definitely play Guilty Gear ASAP! I dunno if you have ANY experience with it at all yet, I played it at a complete scrub level awhile back so I at least know most of the characters/moves. Might wanna get a little practice time in to at least understand the basics of the combo system/mechanics before we play. I wanna go fire it up now haha.

As for the gaming laptop, I'm not really sure what I would suggest. I would echo the statements most would make about laptops not really being fit for gaming, as getting decent performance out of one will require it to be somewhat bulky, very hot (probably too hot to be used on your lap), and not really all that mobile... I think "portable" would be a better word for a gaming laptop. But yeah, if you're willing to spend $1,000 - $1,500 like you said, as long as you make sure you get one with a powerful GPU you should be ok if you're not expecting it to run recent games on high settings. If you want something to play games like Ultra SF4, Skullgirls, KoF XIII SE, LoL, DotA 2, SC2, etc., games that don't have high sys requirements, you shouldn't even have to spend that much.

For reference, I can play AE2012 on nearly max settings at 1080p with a completely consistent 60 FPS with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a GeForce GTX 260. Very outdated hardware, honestly, want to build a new computer soon, but that's beside the point. If you check out this page (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html), you'll see that the GTX 260 only gets a score of 1,118. Doing a quick search on Newegg.com, you can get a refurbished laptop with an i7 and a GeForce 650M (score of 1,296 from the same page) for $800 free shipping. If you'd rather have the top of the line mobile card, you'll be paying around $2,000 for a system with a 780m (4,143 benchmark score). Something in the middle like a 670m (1,907 score) you can get for about $1,100. Like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230592. If you're really going to use this as a desktop replacement because you want something you can take with you easier, I'd go for the middleground option probably, as long as you realize it's going to be heavy, bulky, hot, and considerably more expensive than a desktop with similar performance.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:22 pm

His processor is bottlenecking his system i believe. That and his ram