Monster Hunter Tri

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Monster Hunter Tri

Post by MasterWholigans » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Two words: GET IT.

...or you could get the demo for free from Gamestop starting March 8th.

I already have this game on reserve (not to mention that it's the first Wii game I've bought in 7 months), anyone else going to get it/already play MH? :D? I need to find some people to play on Wifi with ^^

Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Re: Monster Hunter Tri

Post by Derp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Been planning on getting this for a loong time, I actually hadn't heard about the demo yet, I'll have to pre-order the classic controller pro bundle when I go to pick up the demo on the 8th :banana:
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Speaking of pre-ordering:

Anyone who pre-orders the game at Gamestop will receive $5 off the game itself, an additional 500 Wii Points card, and, if you get the bundled version, the new Classic Controller Pro! :D
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm

looks cool

basically, Bossfight: The game
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am

Rat-morningstar wrote:Bossfight: The game
Everygame should be like this!
Hell, life should be like this!
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

i heard about it years ago but i can't tell from that video what kind of game it is - is it an RPG or a fighting game or what
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 pm

joe wrote:i heard about it years ago but i can't tell from that video what kind of game it is - is it an RPG or a fighting game or what
It's an action-RPG game that plays sort of like an MMO, but you hunt in groups of up to 4 (and even splitscreen :3)

What's not so typical about this RPG is that you don't gain EXP or Level Up (Except for your Hunter Rank that increases by doing a certain amount of quests, but this doesn't effect your attack, defense, etc.) Instead, you hunt monsters via quests, and once you kill the monster, you carve its parts (scales, tails, claws, wings, so on) and create better armor and weapons using these parts. This in turn lets you face larger monsters, carve their parts, create better equipment, repeat. This system also allows pros to help newer players on the game with little-to-no trouble and should get them up to speed ^^

The action element of this game doesn't come from hack-n-slashing your way to victory. This game requires a lot of patience and preparation, because these hunts can take anywhere from 30-50 minutes solo, 10-30 minutes multiplayer. Monsters don't have HP bars, but you can tell how weak they are from visual clues, such as blood coming out of wounds and limping. You create bombs, traps, nets, tranquilizers, and other various equipment by combining items you find from Monsters or on the battlefield. For example, combining a Net and a Trap Tool creates a Pitfall Trap. Once a monster falls into it, it can't move for around 10 seconds. This gives you and your teammates a chance to hack at it, bomb it, tranquilize it, and so forth, giving your team an advantage in the fight. Finding the best tactics and careful planning is key to victory. Charging in head first is pretty close to suicide (unless you're extremely good at rolling and dodging :)).

Wifi enables up to 4 players to hunt on the same quest, and because Capcom loves America so much, the online is FREE (while Japan has to pay for it) and Wii Speak is supported (which Japan doesn't have either). Another thing about wifi is that MHT gets rid of those god awful 16-digit Wii Friend codes, and replaces them with a friendlier 6-digit code.

If you have a Wii, get the demo once it's released, this game is the reason why I'm turning on my Wii for the first time in 5-6 months. Or, if you have a PSP, I highly recommend getting Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, I have nearly 200 hours of gameplay, and the replay value still holds up incredibly.
Last edited by MasterWholigans on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:25 pm

well i'm sold

hope i can pirate it ;)
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:51 pm

joe wrote:well i'm sold

hope i can pirate it ;)
same here
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 pm

DJ_BEATBURST wrote:Two words: GET IT.

...or you could get the demo for free from Gamestop starting March 8th.

I already have this game on reserve (not to mention that it's the first Wii game I've bought in 7 months), anyone else going to get it/already play MH? :D? I need to find some people to play on Wifi with ^^

i never really got into MH, but i may give this one a try.

btw, pick up Red Steel 2 while your at it.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Pentagram.J2 wrote:btw, pick up Red Steel 2 while your at it.
done
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:31 am

Mio Nome e Django wrote:
Pentagram.J2 wrote:btw, pick up Red Steel 2 while your at it.
done
:D
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Post by Derp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Baump, game is coming out on the 20th and supposedly you can find it on the interwebs if you look, though I haven't bothered.

Also, for those of you who still don't really know what it is or if you're interested, here's a nice description of the game:

WHAT IS MONSTER HUNTER?

Monster Hunter is a straight action game. The story is: You live in a pre-industrial hunter-gatherer civilization. Your job is hunter, and everyone depends upon you for the raw materials needed to live. Food, shelter, tools, weapons, they all come from the monsters you hunt. Go do your job. End of story.

The battle system is deep. Movement, aim, and camera control are all 100% MANUAL. This is necessary to attack each monster's unique weak points in real-time. Your attacks go exactly where *you* place them and it's possible to be very precise, but it is not a game you pick up, play, beat, and forget.

Monster Hunter is a game of skill. Not just motor skill, but learning the monsters, their habits, their capabilities, their timings. They are unstoppable forces. Just as you can't hope to stop an oncoming truck by punching it in the grill, you cannot expect to stop an oncoming train-car-sized monster with the flick of a sword. When you begin to play, expect to lose. Expect to lose until you *think* about how to win.

You need to be smart. You need to know your own abilities with each weapon. You need to use the other tools at your disposal wisely. Snares, explosives, tracking aids, medicines, and more; they'll all help you, but only when used at the right time, often in the brief instants you'll begin to recognize as being out of harm's way.

And the payoff? Your victories and losses are entirely your own. Monster Hunter is one of the most fair games that exists, and one of very few games where it's possible to realize YOUR skill has "leveled up". You also get to keep parts of the monsters you defeat and use them to make new gear. What do you do with it? Aside from look cool, defeat bigger, badder monsters of course!

Monster Hunter is also a game of teamwork. Go online and share your victories and defeats. Even a hunter with no armor and nothing but a half-decent supply of bowgun ammo can turn a raging demon into a paralyzed, whimpering mess, but it takes at least two to truly make the most of such opportunities. You can hunt in parties up to four at a time. Make the best of it. Make friends. Fight together, fight as one.

That is Monster Hunter.
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm

If I pirate this and play it via Backup Launcher can I still play online?

Also, can I use my single player or local multiplayer characters to play online?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm

wii games don't really have serials so from what i've seen if you can get it to run you can play online