Nintendo 3DS

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Pentagram.J2

Nintendo 3DS

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Recently, Nintendo of Japan announced the successor of the Nintendo DS. They're calling it the 3DS, obviously it's a 3D enabled console, however it seems they've removed the need for 3D glasses. No real news on anything but its name and special function, but they're saying itll be shown off at E3 this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nint ... -to-the-d/

http://gizmodo.com/5499713/nintendo-3ds-the-details

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/23/break ... ews-at-e3/
Last edited by Pentagram.J2 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Re: Nintendo announces new handheld console

Post by scobywhru » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:25 pm

yeah 3d won't catch on until 3d without glasses so it works on a small screen with limited view angles now they have to make it work for larger LCDs with larger view angles. Interesting tech none the less may just end up waiting for this instead of getting the DSiXL
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
jermm

Post by jermm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 pm

What do we think hardware-wise this will be? Something similar to the Nexus One/iPad/Droid (1GHz ARM+OpenGL 2 GPU+512MB ram) would be my guess.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

jermm wrote:What do we think hardware-wise this will be? Something similar to the Nexus One/iPad/Droid (1GHz ARM+OpenGL 2 GPU+512MB ram) would be my guess.
when it was still called the DS2, it was said that it would be about as powerful as a Gamecube. So we can expect to see some nice looking games on it. Seeing as the Cube was the most powerful console that generation, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom decided to port something like RE 4 to it.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 pm

they are trying to compete with the iphone
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:59 pm

joe wrote:they are trying to compete with the iphone
mainly they want it to be integrated in every day use, yes, but they are also competing with the PSP. As stupid as it sounds, a lot of analysts of the industry see the iphone as a game system, so it could be said that it's entering the handheld console war. Either way, this is pushing Nintendo to bring some multi-media features to their devices, so that's always a plus.

a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm excited.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
jermm

Post by jermm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

-a DSi is about 2x as powerful as a DS (and 4x the ram, from 4MB to 16MB)
-The DS uses 2 ARM CPUs (67/32mhz)

The thing about the iPhone/iPod touch is everyone* has one with them. To play GTA: Chinatown Wars on your apple mobile device, you need 250MB of free space and $10 from your iTunes account.

I think external input devices will come with the next iPhone OS, so you can have a controller/bluetooth keyboard/whatever else.

*well, a lot of people
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm

memory wise, but not graphics wise

Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Definitely going to be laaate adopter for any 3d stuff.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm

http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/03/flur ... arket.html
Chief Cheese wrote:Definitely going to be laaate adopter for any 3d stuff.
don't worry it's a fad until they figure out a means to do it glasses-less. no one without $5000 in disposable cash (& $400 on 4 glasses) will buy & James Cameran can go cry.
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
Cow
pl w+4 b
<b>pl w+4 b</b>

Post by Cow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 pm

My DS from launch is starting to break... the "R" button is going and a hinge broke. I was going to get the new DS XL or whatever but now I might wait for this depending on reviews/cost.
kevkingofthesea
King of the Sea
<font color=#0080BF>King of the Sea</font>

Post by kevkingofthesea » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:36 pm

stabbyclaus wrote: don't worry it's a fad until they figure out a means to do it glasses-less. no one without $5000 in disposable cash (& $400 on 4 glasses) will buy & James Cameran can go cry.
They have glasses-less... it just doesn't work on larger screens, or at large viewing angles. So it's fine for something small, like say, a handheld gaming device.

"Tentatively titled the 3DS, this glasses-free 3D wonder is pitched as the successor to both the DS and DSi"
(From the engadget article in the OP)
Still not dead.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 pm

auto-stereo screens are also low yield the bigger you make them E.g. alignment issues, bad pixels, etc. So by only doing small screens, you can reduce some of these issues.

There are auto-stereo monitors that address the issue of view angle and large screen, etc, but they require up to 16 images per frame to handle all the view angles, which is a bandwidth iand content creation issue.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:43 pm

kevkingofthesea wrote:
stabbyclaus wrote: don't worry it's a fad until they figure out a means to do it glasses-less. no one without $5000 in disposable cash (& $400 on 4 glasses) will buy & James Cameran can go cry.
They have glasses-less... it just doesn't work on larger screens, or at large viewing angles. So it's fine for something small, like say, a handheld gaming device.

"Tentatively titled the 3DS, this glasses-free 3D wonder is pitched as the successor to both the DS and DSi"
(From the engadget article in the OP)
I wasn't talking about the DS, Im addressing HDTVs hence me bringing up Avatar..
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.