Starcraft 2 Strategies

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Gr|m

Starcraft 2 Strategies

Post by Gr|m » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:59 am

So I though it would be cool if we all just shared some of our strategies- especially any crazy ones that you've gotten to work.

So I'm pretty bad, but a friend and I did a reaper rush strat that worked really well a few days ago and he uploaded it on youtube

Really simple, but the 5 reapers (x2) just annihilate their workers and can easily kite with the speed upgrade
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: Starcraft 2 Strategies

Post by joe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm

he won so it's a good strat. of course every strat has a weakness (like an early scout) but don't derail the thread - if you have a strategy, share it, otherwise don't criticize other people for theirs
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:11 am

Gr¦m, we need to play some games.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 am

add me on steam! or i'll try to sit on irc... I'd love to play with some j2 people
rum

Post by rum » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Starcraft 2 is awesome!!

With protoss a good strategy i've discovered is getting tons of sentries. With like 10 sentries forcefield is super OP. You can pretty much divide their army in half with them, kill the first half, then kill the second. If you make your base layout well you can seal off your mineral line with one or two forcefields also. On the offensive you can forcefield choke points to prevent reinforcements. All I can say is sentries are amazing. The top level sc2 players do incredible things with it.

I've seen some videos with terran users doing a thor + medivac drop and decimating mineral lines and bases. I tried it one game and it worked pretty well, but my micro isn't the greatest. Thors are pretty much the most badass unit out there though.
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I play Terran exclusively and my favorite matchup right now is TvP. I open with 3 Barracks Orbital Command and no gas. Spam Marines and make an early game push. If the Protoss went for any sort of tech the push will probably be able to take out their economy, otherwise you should be able to kill enough units to prevent a counterattack. By this point I've started mining gas and add 2 tech labs and a reactor to the Barracks' and spam Marines+Marauders (making sure to research Stimpack). If I hurt their economy with the first push, this one will end the game. Otherwise, I start building Tanks+Vikings to back up the MnM in anticipation of colossi. I'm usually able to end the game by this point, but if not I expand and outproduce for the win.

The key to this strat is the early game push. It's very strong against Protoss that go for Forge or cybercore instead of multi-gates (if you don't mind playing dirty, one way to scare them into doing this is to threaten a reaper harass at the start). It's not quite against an enemy who was planning an early game push himself but if you keep the pressure up and gain map control the MnM ball will devastate their forces once you've got stimpack.

Still working on a build for TvT and TvZ... let me know what you guys think
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Hmm I like that strat. I really hate terran right now, I feel like everyone ends up going marrines/marauders/medivacs... and my micro is pretty bad so that just makes everything worse lol
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:57 am

TvZ is my weakest matchup (especially with that 6-pool larvae spam bullcrap that was going on before the new patch, thank god thats gone again), but I think I've got it down pretty well now. Most decent zerg players will try to fast expand to get a huge mid-late advantage. My multi-base macro is absolutely terrible (the more bases I have to manage, the sloppier my playing gets) so I try to end these games as early as I can.

Basically I start with the same 3-barracks no gas orbital command build as described above... if the zerg player did a fast expand (I find that almost all of them do) you can take it out with your marines no problem, even on a larger map like Kulas ravine. Once you've taken out the expansion pull your marines back and get started on those marauders. Against zerg I like to add another barracks for good measure. If you expect the game to last a bit longer you may want to take this time to start your expansion as well (if you do then get several more barracks so you can outproduce the zerg player). Instead of expanding I usually opt to mass units and get stimpack and then do a second (hopefully final) push with the MnM ball. Don't forget to scout with marines or SCV beforehand (don't scan, you need energy for MULES to maximize your production during this time) and see what units they'll be defending with. If it's the usual mass roaches, get more marauders than marines. If its hydras or lings, mix your units 1:1 and maybe get infantry weapons upgrade. If it's banelings, go with more marauders and the concussive upgrade for slow (the upgrade is cheap so you may want to get this no matter what... stim should always be first though).

The key to this strat is eliminating the zerg expansion early on. If you don't take out their expansion then you've lost the game unless you can out-expand them. I suck at expanding so that's not an option for me, which is why I try to keep maximum pressure on the zerg with constant pushes. If the game extends into mid or late game with higher tier units I almost always lose, but I hear a good trick is to push after using vikings to kill their overlords so they go over their supply cap and lose map control. I assume the vikings also make for great insurance against mutas.

So that's my TvZ... now to master TvT
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:48 pm

And then you've got Zerg and Protoss to worry about haha!

i only play random at the moment, I never know what to get and how to arrange my units. I usually end up getting thors and vikings if it goes into late game, which is kind of an awful build because I don't get marines or marauders to fight with my thors
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sat May 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I just got this and I am pretty terrible at it. Even if I manage to pull off a medivac drop early on TvT and decimate their workers, I end up dying because I can't micro or multitask =D

I plan to play Terran almost exclusively (maybe some protoss)...any pointers?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sat May 01, 2010 4:23 pm

i feels ya on that ayeyah D:
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Sat May 01, 2010 5:30 pm

What do people mean by macro? I'm not in the beta but have been watching videos and reading everyone elses stories so I can fantasize about playing.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sun May 02, 2010 1:17 pm

macro vs. micro are two different ways of playing.

Macro is high level commands. IE send a group of 10 marines to attack location X.

Micro is low level very controlled commands. IE send a group of 10 marines forward to point A backwords 2 steps up the ramp half way to bottle neck and kite.... etc etc...

Micro is deemed pro play, imo.
STEAM_0:1:209083
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Sun May 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I see.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun May 02, 2010 2:24 pm

macro is managing money/economy/tech tree

micro is moving specific units in a specific way to do something better than the AI would do it
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef