it's official: FFXIV is the MMO for Casual Gamers™

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
bugzbunny

Re: it's official: FFXIV is the MMO for Casual Gamers™

Post by bugzbunny » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Velp wrote:
NIPPER wrote:casual gamers don't play MMOs in the first place
Look at WoW, there are alot of casual gamers there... I know a few people where that's the only game they have ever really played.
its impossible for a casual gamer to ever hit the level cap where the "real fun" begins. Because if you do, which requires at least 100+ hours to achieve, you are no longer a casual player.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 am

it goes beyond just limiting what people can do. it also adds a layer of complexity to organization and the social aspect

player 1: hey we need a healer for this party, want to join?
player 2: sorry healer is capped this week, i can play a crafting job though?

friend 1: hey we are killing Turtle King tonight to get my magic ring, can you come on your main class?
friend 2: sorry main class is capped, can we reschedule?

fucking stupid is what it is. artificial limits on playing are against the whole point of the game
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
cold_blade

Post by cold_blade » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 am

bugzbunny wrote:
Velp wrote:
Look at WoW, there are alot of casual gamers there... I know a few people where that's the only game they have ever really played.
its impossible for a casual gamer to ever hit the level cap where the "real fun" begins. Because if you do, which requires at least 100+ hours to achieve, you are no longer a casual player.
Is the inverse also true? If you've never hit the level cap and played well over 100 hours are you still casual?
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
Hi|oboys

Post by Hi|oboys » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 am

Joe I hear ya on your anger. Hell i fully agree with you on it. The only way they are attempting to "Justify" the time allowed on 1 char is that there is no such thing as a pure class now. Theres not even a healing class in the game yet. From what Ive gathered so far, each of the casting classes has 1 healing spell type or major healing spell type. And you need to get each of them up to XX level to get that spell. :/ So technically you will be surrounded by gimped healers and only the hardcore players will be able to be a full class. Even the spell dps players need to level all the mage classes to get the right spells.

It just doesnt make sense to me. Technically if you level up all the caster classes you can choose to be either a dps caster or healer and switch anytime you want.

Or you can be a tank / melee dps / ranged dps class anytime you want. I dunno about this.
Current Games
Natural Selection 2 - Hi|oBoyS.j2 / Curious Gorge.j2 / NSPlayer.j2
Path of Exile - HiloBoyS
XBOXONE GamerTag - HiloBoyS
Current Games on XBONE: Overwatch, The Division, and Warframe

Why you should remember me?
Paykan and I came up with the .j2 tag! (Yea were lame, proud lamers ftw)
Rock wrote:"Nerf paper. Scissors are just fine. Thanks."
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:31 am

joe wrote:it goes beyond just limiting what people can do. it also adds a layer of complexity to organization and the social aspect

player 1: hey we need a healer for this party, want to join?
player 2: sorry healer is capped this week, i can play a crafting job though?

friend 1: hey we are killing Turtle King tonight to get my magic ring, can you come on your main class?
friend 2: sorry main class is capped, can we reschedule?

fucking stupid is what it is. artificial limits on playing are against the whole point of the game
While I'm not denying it's a stupid system, it's just that this thinking is a bit flawed. The system just makes you have a disadvantage if you have capped your class. That disadvantage being how much exp you gain. If people want you to play a certain job for a big fight or something, then there's nothing to stop you except your own consideration on if you want EXP or not.

Agreed it's still a stupid system anyway.
Total Newbie

Post by Total Newbie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Sounds like a boon to the static party, though. Obviously the casual type.
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 pm

cold_blade wrote:
bugzbunny wrote:
Velp wrote:
Is the inverse also true? If you've never hit the level cap and played well over 100 hours are you still casual?
no, you just suck.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
Margrave

Post by Margrave » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm in for a collectors edition and this is just getting ridiculous, the way the community is just rolling over for it is even worse. The latest explanation for the surplus exp cap is the American sites mistranslated the Japanese fan sites and pissed off the developers; now they say it's not really a 15 hour a week cap because it also cools down while you're not logged on but they still haven't explained it completely. Supposedly it has been in since the first phase of beta but it still sounds like bullshit. If I don't get in to the "open" beta to feel it out then I'm canceling my order as well.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I'll try and explain fatigue system.

The developers figured out the maximum amount of experience someone could ever gain in a given hour, per level. This is one threshold hour, and you get 8 straight threshold hours then seven at reduced experience.

This was from a party standpoint, not solo play. This wasn't one random guy running around solo. 99% of the player base never even got in to the red bar at 300% experience! You'll never encounter this even if you're grinding for 3 straight days. Why? Because you're not gaining anywhere near the experience you would gain from a full on grinding party of nonstop kills one after the other. You'll be running around finding new mobs, getting quest, going to town, what have you.

You could play for 24 straight hours and still be gaining 100% experience.

This whole system was designed, because other MMORPG's there would be 1-3% of the players who would reach max level in 1-2 months of release. What would they do? Increase the amount of experience FOR EVERYONE so that no one could reach the max level that quick. That means EVERYONE had to spend more time leveling.
What SE's doing is making it so that those said players can't reach max level in 1-2 months and no one has to be hindered by the fucking nerds who grind in shifts and use bots to level and sell accounts.

This is all to benefit the players who actually play, not hinder them.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:56 pm

if it doesn't affect anyone then why is it in place? i call bullshit
Hi|oboys

Post by Hi|oboys » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:05 pm

One thing about working in the gaming industry. I learned that developers have a COMPLETELY different view from players. And unless the project manager listens to the people, pretty much what the developer wants goes. The most common phrase I hear is "Players don't know what they want." They think this new system is cool and we don't like it. Since the game caters to casual players, it is prone to large amounts of gold sellers / bots / etc. And the reason why bots/gold farmers hurt games so much is that they can do the same thing over and over for 24 hours a day. This hinders their income by limiting to 8 hoursish.

A few of our developers here were part of ffxi, they said their "anti bot" was to make mobs non soloable. But i guess that this is their anti farm solution to a casual game? Meh

Oh and open beta starts in 7 hours. 1900 PDT

http://entry.ffxiv.com/

Just go to that link at 7pm PDT and make sure you already have a square account to link your code to. And if you are going to start testing it, I suggest you go to someplace like fileplanet and download the ffxiv beta client and have it update. The update takes forever so yea if you don't have it already installed I suggest you register you start asap and register your account so you can prob play it tomorrow. Heh
Current Games
Path of Exile - HiloBoyS

Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 pm

farmers will just have multiple characters and multiple accounts assuming the profit margin is still viable.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
Hi|oboys

Post by Hi|oboys » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 am

whoa theres a que now. O.o and 3 of the cities are avail now. Im in umm server uuh second to the last one. It was a familiar name to me from one of the other final fantasies. Name: Cure Hiloboys
Current Games
Path of Exile - HiloBoyS

joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:26 am

hilo can you paste or PM me the email you got about the open beta on August 31? i accidentally deleted mine and cant make an account now
Margrave

Post by Margrave » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 am

Just in case anyone else needs it

http://entry.ffxiv.com/