Haven and Hearth / Salem

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Margrave

Haven and Hearth / Salem

Post by Margrave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 am

(Video graphics are outdated)

TL;DR A F2P laggy Java survival game similar to minecraft but with more rpg elements. Pillage, plunder, and survive.
Want to join our settlement? PM Cofactorx or me for instructions!
http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/ Link to game

Haven and Hearth is a free java based persistent world MMO with essentially no rules; it's a survival sandbox where players compete over finite resources to create a number of items from houses to weapons. The idea is to stake your claim on a plot of land and collect resources to protect yourself from other players and animals.

Features:
-Permanent character death: When your settler dies he is removed from your character list. Subsequent characters have the option to inherit your dead player as an ancestor which grants you a percentage of their skills and experience.

-Community support: Use phrases (hearth secrets) to ensure that you and your friends spawn together. Player names are not displayed so if you see a suspicious player you can memorize him, give him a nickname, and describe him to your village members/friends so they know who to look out for.

-Crafting: The crafting system is very in depth, there is a quality system that is used in conjunction with your skills so a player with 100 skill in a weapon wont do maximum damage unless the weapon quality can keep up with the skill.

-Villages: Players can claim land so no other player can use or even walk on their territory. You can grant permissions to people on your friends list/kin. Villages can be set up with governors called "Lawmakers" and "Hirdsmen" to support larger communities.

-Crime: Players can train skills so they can trespass, steal, attack, or murder players (they are individual skills). When committing a crime you leave behind a scent that players with a certain skill can then follow to your spawn point or to your character and exact revenge.

-My personal experience-
The game is seriously flawed with its java engine, it's laggy, choppy, and not very easy on the eyes; the gameplay completely makes up for all of its shortcomings. Everything is very in depth and takes quite a bit of effort to learn but at the same time it feels very rewarding. The game is an enormous time sink. Take leather for example, you find a rabbit, snap its neck, butcher it, and build a drying rack for the fur. That takes 8 hours. Now you make a saw from its bones and build a tanning tub, you fill it with the necessary ingredients along with the fur, that takes another 8 hours. Now you have 1 piece of leather and you need 3 for armor.

I'm making this post after being murdered in game, despite inheriting my ancestor I still lost all of my skills along with most of my skill points and stat points; This is the biggest drawback/most exciting part of the game, there are a number of characters who can go around marauding with really no fear of retaliation. You just pray they don't find your settlement.

ON TO SALEM!

The same company/duo who made this little diamond in the rough is making "Salem;" essentially the same game but with a 3D engine (F2P). Anyone who is interested is welcome to drop by my village, we are 3 newbies strong and looking to set up a group willing to play Salem when it is released later this year. Let me know if you are interested so I can PM my hearth secret.
Dr Lecter

Re: Haven and Hearth / Salem

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 am

sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out on the weekend. I've been looking for a game like this for a while.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:13 pm

pm me the hearth secret so I can join your settlement. 0|
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

this sounds like a lot of fun actually
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Draupniro

Post by Draupniro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:51 pm

i've started playing this, i find it fun :). didnt have much luck to begin with but eventually i made a character (my second) and i started next to an already built wooden plough. i started building things and just today i (finally!) got my first rabbit. i was so happy.
MineCraft username: Draupniro
Steam name: TheDuckening
LeagueOfLegends name: TheDuckening
Estroy wrote:Fuck, got owned by draup.
<j2server_mc2> <Pennoy999> <ADMIN> You sexeh individual :L
Anatidaephobia
The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 pm

It sounds like fun but the video didn't make it look too fun for me.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Watching this video makes me want Minecraft to be more like Harvest Moon.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:24 pm

bl4nk wrote:Watching this video makes me want Minecraft to be more like Harvest Moon.
oh god this
Draupniro

Post by Draupniro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

oh wow had a good day. i did some exploring and have seen a few places other people live on the island i live on. one of these was a cave protected by land ownership. just a few minutes ago the owner of the land came on, walked down and found me and said he was going to restart and that he was going to give me everything he owned. he then proceeded to give me many things that a newbie, like myself, found pretty awesome :). i now have land of my own protecting all my stuff.
Anatidaephobia
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 pm

At first, I was suspicious of this game. The art style of the game is very crayon-like, and the controls are a bit clunky. I myself didn't really think much of it. Well, my girlfriend started reading up on different ways of gaining skill points, and crafting different things. Now we are on our way to building a couple of houses and I am currently fencing off the land so boars don't come and kill us :P . The crafting system is so in-depth that I haven't even scratched the surface. Let's see what happens with this game, but I know for a fact that the developer said in an interview that he is developing a game like this with 3d graphics and a similar "Open-world mmo" system of play. Haven and Hearth still receives regular updates, but not weekly since the developer is working on "Salem" for Paradox Interactive (the similar game which I mentioned).

I don't quite have the hang of the game yet, but there is a wiki, and it would be cool if others would come and join us; I have yet to see another soul in the game besides myself and my girlfriend. Overall, it is a silently addicting game.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem

This site page popped up the other day for Salem, not a whole lot of info, but it's something new.

This is alpha footage for Salem, I can confirm that this is the actual game, there is another video with the creator talking, just type in salem alpha and I think it's one of the first videos on youtube.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

cool :) keep us updated
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
jessicamarissa91

Post by jessicamarissa91 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Does anyone still play this game? I've been wanting to get back into it. Would anyone want to start up a joe.to settlement?
<+J0E> i think mjcs pooped a little
<@collin> Fire all mbaxter. Ban all physics.
Sub-Merge

Post by Sub-Merge » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 am

I've been wantingto try and get into this game but it seems a bit confusing for me.
Draupniro

Post by Draupniro » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:09 am

i havent played it in awhile but i think i can still remember the basic way to play. catching rabbits was a nightmare...
Anatidaephobia