Spiral Knights

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Re: Spiral Knights

Post by tehENEMY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 am

I had no idea what the objective was and I had the tf2 hat in less than 40 minutes
not really sure if I like the game yet, kinda meh
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Im gonna stab the next motherfucker who out bids me ! raaaaaaaaaaaaaarararararar
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

DoggyHound

Post by DoggyHound » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 am

Hey. My knight's name is DoggyHound.
I have 4 star miracle set and avenger.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:20 pm

logged some tier-2 jelly king runs, here's what i found:

the goal is to make at least the amount of crowns i'd get from just selling the energy (currently 51 crowns per 1 energy). at 10 energy per level, i have to make 510 crowns to break even (play for free).

first 2 floors (depth 9-10) were terrible: average crowns were 220 and 327
3rd floor (d11) was arena in this particular gate and did well, average 1167
4th floor (d12) was random. the graveyard averaged about 700 and treasure vault averaged 340 so those average 520. not great
5th floor was a generic grass theme level, averaged 800
the last 2 floors were jelly king castle 1 and 2 (d15, d16) - NOT the final jelly king level. they were phenomenal: 1135 and 2348 averages.

so i learned a few things:
  • * last level before jelly king is by far the most profit (235 crowns per 1 energy!). if i had someone willing to sit at d15 exit, i could repeat runs for a couple hours and make a killing
    * random levels aren't that great because treasure vault sucks
    * arena levels are very good - provided you can clear the difficult 3rd room without using a revive
    * this does not include any other sources of income: minerals, materials, recipes from vendor, item drops, etc.
    * the first 2 levels were terrible - i don't know if this is always true of every gate or just this particular gate
    * i didn't bother logging the jelly king fight because (a) it's too hard, usually requiring at least 1 revive (5+ energy) and (b) the only reward is jelly gems which are almost worthless
i still don't know how T2 compares to T1 or T3, or what other levels can be as or more profitable than jelly king d16. i will log some T1 runs next to compare (although i'm pretty sure they will be bad). T3 is very hard to log because the runs tend to be much shorter either because of the increased difficulty makes people quit sooner, or because the party wipes and returns to town. out of maybe ~20 T3 runs i've only gotten to the core 3-4 times.

if anyone wants to log their runs i can share the google docs spreadsheet with you. or you can just write down the info as you play: depth#, money earned, any special notes (danger room, arena, etc.)
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Based on my runs in the past, I usually made anywhere from 3k-4k from Tier 1 runs, and I have been making about 6k-8k off of Royal Jelly runs the past couple of days. Definitely well enough for me to do a run per day using just mist energy, and slowly build up CE over time. I just made my 4-star sword the other day, and i'm now working towards getting the rest of my 4-star equipment.

I've yet to spend a dime, and I haven't been in the position of me feeling like I NEED to spend real money to continue. I'm doing well for myself right now.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:59 pm

you could do jelly runs and rollover the money to buy energy to do more jelly runs infinitely (as long as energy costs don't go up) and probably make money faster than just doing 1 run a day and saving the money

that's assuming you felt like playing for a few hours, especially doing the same thing over and over (although it does help build heat and give you crafting materials too, which are useful when you need to craft something)
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Strange as it is, I enjoy the repetition of doing a lot of runs in a single day, amassing a bit more CE after every one. That was my main way of making money and stuff early on. I just layed off a bit recently to prevent it from getting TOO repetitive. However, i'll log my runs for you. I felt like doing some more runs today, anyway.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:35 pm

excellent thanks :)

i never see you on, we should play together :)
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Oh i'm on at least a little bit every day. Feel free to add me. My knight's name is Racketlord. :)
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm

a few major changes today:

1. you can unbind certain items now.
- it's very expensive. 4000 energy (200,000+ crowns) to unbind 5 star items. only 100 energy for 1 star items
- limited to crafted items. promotional items (e.g. green ward shield from starter kit) can't be unbound

2. items can have 1, 2 or 3 UV variants on a single item now instead of just 1 (although patch notes say 3 is extremely rare)

3. you can pay to add UV variants to items
- 3 UV costs 375,000 crowns
- it will overwrite any existing UV
- UV's are random so you could get something useful or garbage

the costs are pretty high. i don't know how much this will change the economy. i want to sell my 5 star mercurial set but by the time i pay 8000 energy to unbind it, i doubt i would get my money back on the AH. and it certainly isn't viable to craft 5 star items just to unbind and sell them
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

yo bro, you earned the hat

time to stop playing

joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm

that's the ugliest fucking thing i've ever seen

also starting tomorrow (friday) at 2pm and running all weekend, they are giving away prizes every hour. since there are thousands or tens of thousands of people playing, the odds seem pretty low unless they give out mass items to lots of people