arma 2 is 8 bucks on steam

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Dr Lecter

arma 2 is 8 bucks on steam

Post by Dr Lecter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 am

Is it worth getting? The expansion pack is 40% off now which would be 24 dollars, which I don't feel at liberty to just throw around.

Do you need the expansion to play on multiplayer servers? Because that is mostly what I would want to do with this.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: arma 2 is 8 bucks on steam

Post by joe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm

ask magnus, he plays it
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
jazzy

Post by jazzy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:38 pm

i play it- mostly just waiting for project reality arma 2 edition to come out, other than that it's boring as fuck.
The Dude Abides.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 am

I went ahead and paid the $8 for it, because it looked interesting and comparable to OF:DR
Conclusion: Worst game ever.

There's a shitload of bugs. In just the first tutorial mission, I managed to get stuck in some kind of infinite failure loop while doing the rifle training (I figured out it was because I wasn't standing in the proper spot, so he failed me over and over without telling me why and before I could respond to dialogue prompts). Then, while practicing the AT weapons, some npc enemies from the MOUT course I was supposed to do next ran over and started shooting at me, before I had even started the MOUT course.

Add to that:
-terribly complicated and unintuitive control scheme (it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how to use the action menu properly, because by default they tell you to use only one button instead of the mousewheel)
-waypoint marker that blends in with the ground-
some of the LAMEST voiceacting I have ever heard (I muted my sound, because it was that bad)
-volume of sounds doesn't correlate to distance from your location at all
-nauseating motion blur and mouse acceleration, with terrible sensitivity adjustments
-AI team that doesn't do anything you want them to
-terribly defined mission objectives...in the first campaign mission I had like 5 things to do but none of them were listed, so I had no idea what I was doing, and what mission some waypoint was for
-ghost/bugged waypoints (enemies where they don't exist, nothing happening when I reach mission waypoints...)
-buggy mission scripts ("hey fly this helicopter! but I'm going to end this mission and load a new map in 10 seconds so whatevs"
-occasional graphical issues (at one point flickering from fullbright to nearly-blind dark)
-mounted gun doesn't actually fire where your crosshair is (and not due to bullet trajectory either...it fired like an inch to the RIGHT of my crosshair)

Seriously, I've played like 4 tutorial missions and 15 minutes into the first campaign mission, and I decided that I am going to just uninstall this and never touch it again.

If I want to play a military-sim game, I'll play Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I didn't even think OF:DR was spectacular, honestly, but at least it *worked* and I could pick up the game controls and gameplay in 5 minutes. Also, I think OF:DR looks better graphically, even though the two games were released around the same time.

tl;dr: Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how a game can be this bad. It's as if they never did beta testing or QA, and it's been close to 2 years since this game was released...

If someone can tell me why my game is so ridiculously buggy, I'll consider giving this another look.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 pm

there are patches not on steam that fix most of the issues but the community has moved on to the expansion last I checked which is why I ended up getting the expansion. Arma is the actual successor to the original Operation Flashpoint
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
koko
[citation needed]

Post by koko » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:05 pm

i bought this game at full pop along time ago played maybe 10 mins
CaptainTripps wrote:I curse and complain all the time. The fuck you gonna do about it?
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

You get the expansion and all that koko? Could start a coop campaign.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.