BF3 Alpha

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
jermm

Re: BF3 Alpha

Post by jermm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I got an email around 6PM last night. I have Origin installed, because I wanted to download Mirror's Edge. BC2 and the PS3 version of 1943 are attached to my EA account.
Digamma

Post by Digamma » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm

joe wrote:i'm just wondering HOW people are getting in
Digamma wrote:To get in you need veteran status and have signed up for the EA newsletter.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:32 pm

i guess i have veteran status? how do i check

and i've never heard of an ea newsletter, how do i sign up for it?

seems pretty obscure yet so many other people here have it, so i'm confused
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:14 pm

you have to register for the news letter and have to re-validate your veteran status it was lost in the move to origin
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
NTbacteria

Post by NTbacteria » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 pm

joe, go download and install origin first. That's how you can sign up for the news letter.
It was a closed Alpha for about 2 weeks, and they started to send out invites to non-EA-employees as of last weekend. I think there wasn't enough night time players when it was closed because when I try to play at night, there'd only be 2 servers with people in it. They were trying to stress test the servers, so I guess they want as many people on it as possible. Lots of features are turned off at the moment, but the game runs pretty smooth right now. Go play and give feed back, hopefully we can get a not insanely buggy launch version.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

you don't need to install Origin, I didn't but it said they were out of keys after I got it to validate my status etc.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

ok i installed origin, i don't see anything in it about a newsletter though

it's not a huge deal, it just slightly irks me that it seems like everyone else got invited and i didn't. if there is a way for me to get in, i would like to just so i can play with all the other people i know who are already in it
Blathersby

Post by Blathersby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:21 pm

I got in I didnt sign up but my pc probably cant play it also im underage why did they send me this!
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:36 pm

There's a big problem with the core gunplay

Weapons have a ton of vertical recoil, kind of like Day of Defeat, but the recoil autocorrects after firing so the sight will snap to an area below where you originally aimed. Problem is, bullet spread recovers incredibly quickly, so tap firing, (or really just occasionally pausing just slightly between shots while firing full auto) can eliminate almost all bullet spread - but to compensate for the autocorrecting recoil, you have to do a jig with the mouse, moving it down and up repeatedly, to keep the aim on target. This feels incredibly unnatural.

End result, gunplay is incredibly awkward unless you stick to firing full auto exclusively. Removing the auto recoil will just make guns even more laser accurate than they already are, and I'm not sure Dice is willing to completely overhaul the way their bullet spread works... so I'm a bit worried that this game might have some crippling issues that dice will be unable to fix
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

it can't possibly be worse than BC2's gun handling
SixtyWattMan

Post by SixtyWattMan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 pm

joe wrote:ok i installed origin, i don't see anything in it about a newsletter though

it's not a huge deal, it just slightly irks me that it seems like everyone else got invited and i didn't. if there is a way for me to get in, i would like to just so i can play with all the other people i know who are already in it
I didn't get invited either.
WOZZA wrote:And well done to destroying another topic..
NTbacteria

Post by NTbacteria » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 am

I can't remember the directions I was given. I've already deleted the email. But you gotta click the gear button for settings to check a box to sign up for the newsletter.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 am

SixtyWattMan wrote:
joe wrote:ok i installed origin, i don't see anything in it about a newsletter though

I didn't get invited either.
I think you and Joe might be blacklisted.
Specifically you...

It's like DA COOL PARTY everyone was invited ,but you two.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 am

NTbacteria wrote:I can't remember the directions I was given. I've already deleted the email. But you gotta click the gear button for settings to check a box to sign up for the newsletter.
gear button gives me:
settings
add a friend
redeem product code
refresh games
new feature guide
origin forum
order history
about
log out
exit

and i can't find a newsletter option under any of those

also sizzler it's probably very easy for them to change that stuff. it's just numbers in a table for all of those and they can tweak them pretty easily most likely. it would be dumb of them to hard code those values into the binary especially during development. of course i don't work there so this is speculation but if it's as bad as you say i'm sure it will get fixed
NTbacteria

Post by NTbacteria » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53 pm

I lied, it wasn't in origin. This is the direction I was given for employee only closed alpha.

1. Go to https://profile.ea.com
2. Login
3. Check under “Contact Options” to make sure that “Contact me about EA's products & news” is selected.