Re: EA and Valve in late-stage talks to get BF 3 to Steam

Post by joe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm

can EA
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Didnt really think about it like that but a lot of that doesnt seem so bad to me, probably because none of thats affected me because so far its worked fine.

Also VAC isnt one game with valve games, it bans by engine, so if you get banned in 1.6 you are banned from hl1/tfc/dmc/op4/etc.. + all mods on that engine. Same with hl2/tf2/css L4D is the only one thats by itself.
Velp

Post by Velp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Hoodedsniper wrote:Didnt really think about it like that but a lot of that doesnt seem so bad to me, probably because none of thats affected me because so far its worked fine.

Also VAC isnt one game with valve games, it bans by engine, so if you get banned in 1.6 you are banned from hl1/tfc/dmc/op4/etc.. + all mods on that engine. Same with hl2/tf2/css L4D is the only one thats by itself.
I've heard that L4D and later it's all per game and not engine but all valve games before that it's per engine.
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Except when you're banned from those games you can still play those games, just not on vac secured servers.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 pm

dantesus

Post by dantesus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 pm

joe wrote:EA says the rumor is bullshit

http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32730/f/51 ... tory01.htm
I really am disappointed if BF3 doesn't show up on Steam. EA must understand that they will lose a lot more sales if they don't release it on the Steam platform. As of right now, Origin caters primarily to EA games. I don't go to Origin to browse for the next game to buy. I go to Steam. Steam has such a wide customer base, that I would be insane to pass up the opportunity to host my products on a platform that sees such high traffic on a day-to-day basis. I understand what EA is trying to do, they are attempting to replicate the success of what Steam has already done for digital distribution. I also understand that they want complete control over where the money goes. How I see it, EA is opening up a competitor to Wal-Mart, but they are opening this huge warehouse that only sells toilet paper. Sure, everyone wants to buy toilet paper, but I would rather go to Wal-mart because I can look at other products while purchasing toilet paper. Maybe in the future EA will have a variety of companies' games on their 'Origin' service, but I really don't care to install yet another resource-hogging third-party program on my computer. Steam already does that for me.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 pm

i totally understand companies wanting to compete with steam. but origin ain't gonna cut it - if you want to get users, you need to do BETTER than steam, not worse.

they need to roll out a complete packing, with friends, achievements, chat, groups, cloud storage, non-system games, etc. PLUS as much library as possible - every single EA game ever made to start with. and all that isn't even bringing it up to the same level.

then they need to throw their weight around and get as much additional IP on there, plus add a bunch of stuff steam doesn't have - like allowing users to set up mailing lists or web pages or something more.

and even then they have to throw something in for marketing - maybe a free current-gen game for $1 or something. valve got steam off the ground by rolling it out with counter-strike 1.6 - a free mod that happened to be the most popular game in the world. if EA said you can get BF3, ME3, or some other top-tier title for $1 on origin, you bet your ass people would get it. but they need to add all those other features for people to give a shit about it when they AREN'T playing that game