Journey (ps3 / ps4)

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
jermm

Journey (ps3 / ps4)

Post by jermm » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:01 am

(not)

Adventury game, w/coop with random person, $15 on PSN for PS3, made by the people that did Flower and Flow.

I'll post some of my thoughts in the next hidden text area:
VIEW CONTENT:
It was really fucking good.

I really liked the way they started/ended it. My first (and so far only) playthough took around an hour or so, and I can see many people just starting again.

I avoided most of the media about this game (I heard "from Flower devs", stopped paying attention to the media released), and it was better than I expected.

Like Flower, it was very much a game for people who play these kind of games. I wonder how people that aren't artsy gaming nerds (my brother), or iPad gamers (my parents), would respond.

It was more like Flower / Flow than I was expecting. The controls (and what I would assume is Sony's requirement to use the motion control) feel similar to Flower. It was divided into "levels" very well, and I liked how they did the loading "screen" at the beginning of each "level".

I liked how it told you who you were doing coop with at the end. Mostly because lol everyone's stupid PSN name. (LOLz wats a jermm) And, how it gives you no easy way to send them messages during the game or after the game.
It was well worth the $15 of PSN money, which you can add in any amount $5 or above, something that Nintendo and MS should learn of Sony and Valve.

Would it be worth the $250 + $15 if you don't have a PS3? Maybe if you haven't played Flower.
Last edited by jermm on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jermm

Re: Journey (PS3 | thatgamecompany)

Post by jermm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I haven't done a 2nd playthough yet, but I'll type some more stuff about my first:

Journey did a good job at giving me an emotional experience, partly because the game was simple. Most games you are worrying about preforming the actions. Even something like HL2:EP2, for most of the time, I'm not really feeling anything. Most of the time I'm thinking about how to survive the gameplay. "Gotta shoot the combine, gotta reload, gotta watch my health, gotta use the log to kill the hunters."

In Journey, the gameplay is simple enough (two buttons, two sticks), that you don't really need to "think" about it. There isn't any "dying", there isn't any "failure".

It also wasn't very long. Keeping the length in single-sitting keeps you engaged. Other technical stuff helped; minimal load times didn't make me reach for my phone. Compared to something like Portal 2, which had very annoying load screens, Journey was able to keep me thinking about the game. Graphically, it's not amazing, but it had few major graphical issues. Only once or twice I noticed something "wrong" (some aliasing on one of the hills is the only example I remember). Compared to something like Uncharted, where level-of-detail and texture quality is something that I'm seeing the whole game.

Overall, in SP game experiences, Journey was one of my favorites. I like it more than Portal/HL2:Ep2, more than Uncharted 2/3, more than the GTA4 episodes. It's length and scope helped greatly; the devs did a limited game extremely well.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Looks boring where they hide all the guns?
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
japanimater

Post by japanimater » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:13 am

Django wrote:Looks boring where they hide all the guns?
Beat the game and you unlock them for the second playthrough. You'll also unlock a nude mode.
I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally. What makes you so damn special?!
"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". -Alien vs. Predator
jermm

Post by jermm » Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm

For all you uncultured swine that have PS3s, there is a demo now, so you can experience part of the "game" of the "year".
jermm

Re: Journey (PS3 / ps4 )

Post by jermm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:20 pm

$9 with playstation plus, cross-buy.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ ... YPS4061115

played it again after the ps4 release, still great.