Firefall

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Firefall

Post by Avvatar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:46 am

AttackingHobo's Firefall thread (2 years ago)
joe's Firefall thread (1 year ago)
Firefall FAQ on the official forums (lots of information)

Yesterday I got into the beta. Game starts out pretty fun. I decided, as I often do, to play the support first. I did one quest before going to work that morning. I took my SMG/shotgun(yes, it acts as both with the shotgun being 5 simultaneous SMG rounds in a spread), my grenade launcher and my jetpack and I went and killed 20 bugs. It was a fair bit of fun. Bugs died, shiny things dropped and I made sure to pick them all up not really knowing what they were. The hit detection was a little laggy. Not enough to make it hard to hit things, but enough that I'd occasionally shoot an extra round at something because it hadn't died from my previous shot yet. After that first quest the best way I could describe it was sort of an MMO Borderlands.

Got home and found that Planetside 2 servers were down so I decided to play more Firefall. Kept doing missions. They were entertaining and were slowly introducing me to some of the games systems. At one point I came across someone thumping (mining, it turns out) and there were lots of bugs to kill so I sat for a couple of minutes and farmed some exp. I then realized that my character was bugged, unable to spend exp, and that the only known fix is to delete your character and create another, being sure you're not bugged this time before gaining any exp. Blew through the missions again relatively quickly. Finished the starting area (there's one quest left, but I believe it's the quest to send me to the next hub) and started to PvP.

I queued up for all the various match types (as you queue for more types you get rewards bonuses) and played 5-6 rounds. They were all Team Deathmatch and were again, rather enjoyable. Matches are 5v5 and played until one team has 25 kills. The hit detection issue got worse as the players tend to move around more than the bugs. I had to learn how to compensate for the lag, and fire when it wouldn't matter. The rewards are stacked away from support players with the largest awards going to kills and assists(assists being damage assists only). I have 2 heals on ~30s cooldowns which I tend to use together because either is rather pitiful alone. I get no points for healing. I occasionally put myself in the line of fire to revive someone(any class can revive) and that is worth some points. But mostly I got kills with my "shotgun" and later my unlocked shotgun. To prevent revives you can complete an execution animation on a fallen enemy. Takes similar time to a revive animation and leaves you equally exposed. The exp rewards are meager compared to questing and the mineral rewards lackluster compared to decent thumping but it was fun.

After more play, most of the apparent similarities to Borderlands sort of fell away. The art style is similar. The story doesn't contain anywhere near the same humor. There aren't billions of guns. But I really, really like jetpacks. And gliding! There are glider pads (which you can craft as well) which toss you into the air and spawn some temporary wings for you to quick travel with.

Apparently the classes unlock a bit more when you get to Tier2. It takes about 80k exp. For comparison in the hours I've played thus far I've probably earned about 20k. When you get in your T2 suit it actually starts out weaker than your T1 but you can build gear for it, using the minerals you've earned from PvP or from thumping. There are guides up on the forums regarding how this works, but the bottom line is you get to customize your gear in various ways to make it better suit your individual play style and in the end it's stronger than T1. T3+ is not yet implemented. Each tier PvPs in it's own bracket.

I hear that the PvE side of things really drops off rather sharply and you have nothing left to do but PvP in the end, but as the PvP is thus far engaging I don't really have a problem with that.

Anyway, did anyone else get in the beta? I'll be playing more of this when the Planetside 2 servers are down.
If you haven't, make sure you're signed up:
http://www.firefallthegame.com/
Last edited by Avvatar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Re: Firefall

Post by tehENEMY » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

when is it out of beta?
looks cool but I really hate grinding.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:16 am

Seems like it's gonna be in beta for a while. I know there's at least tiers 3 and 4 to add. There may be more. And the netcode obviously needs work. It's another actual-beta beta rather than a preview.

Editted some Borderlands comparisons I drew while playing into the starting post, along with a mention of gliding.
Added the link to the FAQ which has the best available answer to your question, it should release sometime this year.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm in the beta and I've played it a bit. It's pretty overwhelming when you start out. I can't stand the art style and the borderlands style quests (grind all day). But with that said, it's actually kind of fun in comparison to borderlands. There's definitely a ton of bugs, but that's to be expected with closed beta. I don't know, maybe one day this will be a great game, but right now I'd say it's just okay.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 pm

They've added a means to buy into beta:
http://beta.firefallthegame.com/founders
They're discounted 25% this weekend for PAX.

You also get bits of other stuff. Noticeably the discounted in-game currency and a permanent XP boost (that's what made me buy shit for Tribes, as well. crafty bastards).
Personally, I'm in for a bit.

Keep in mind:
  • The game will be free to play when it's released.
    It will be using micro transactions.
    You can still just sign up for beta and eventually get in.
It's been a lot of fun. The PvP is a blast. The PvE is hardly in game yet. :sadasfuck: The world is relatively small but still fun to explore.

EDIT: Realized I haven't posted at all about the other PvP game mode I've played now: Sabotage.
In Sabotage there is an attacking and a defending team. 10v10. There are 3 hackable consoles and a 10 minute clock. The attackers have to get to the consoles, in order, hit 'Use' and stay alive and on the console for a few seconds to initiate a hack. After about 45-60 seconds the hack completes and the next objective unlocks. During that time, a defender can 'Use' the console, staying alive and on it for a few seconds to counter the hack. After the first round, the teams swap. In the event of neither team completing all 3 hacks, whichever team go farther wins. In the event of both teams completing the hacks, whoever did it fastest wins. The timer for the second round is not necessarily the full 10 minutes. If the starting attackers complete all 3 hacks, the second round timer is how long it took the attackers to complete the objective. Prevents having to play for several minutes after already losing no matter what more you do.
Having objectives instead of just TDM makes it a lot more interesting to me. And I tend to score a lot better and get a lot more experience. I've now trained up a Biotech battleframe and an Engineer battleframe for PvP and I'm toying with a Dreadnaught battleframe for thumping. They're all T1. The T1 pvp is more balanced as everyone has access to the same equipment loadouts. When you go to T2 and higher you can use high-grade minerals to make very nice equipment for yourself. And I merely haven't used the Dreadnaught enough to be able to take it to T2 yet.

My current loadout for the Biotech is the SMG/shotgun mentioned earlier, a grenade launcher with an improved blast radius, the poison trail ability (Singed style) with increased damage and the 'instant' revive ability (actually shortens the time to res someone to 1-2 seconds from like 3-4).
My Engineer uses an assault rifle with improved accuracy, a 'welder' tool that does increasing damage the longer I can hold it on enemies or can repair a number of devices including my turrets, the turret ability with increased damage able to deploy up to 3 turrets on a fairly restrictive cooldown and a shield with decreased cooldown which has a fair amount of HP and will prevent enemys/enemy fire from passing (very useful for defending a point (from attackers or from defenders)).
My Dreadnaught doesn't see much use at the moment so god only knows what it has. Chaingun, with a deployable shield when not firing. Some secondary weapon. Turret mode which prevents me from moving or turning very far but gives me increased rate of fire or some such.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am

I seem to have a spare key. Let me know if you're interested.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 am

I am. Been seeing more and more of this game and it looks neat.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Yeah, this game looks pretty interesting. I've been wanting to try it out for quite some time. If anyone else stumbles upon another spare key, shoot me a PM. I'd love to give this game a try.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm

i signed up for beta over a year ago and never got in. looks pretty cool though, i might play it for a bit if i eventually get it.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm

So, I need an email address to send a key. It's the way the system works. And either Narwal doesn't have IRC properly set to highlight his name or he's ignoring me. Someone, PM me your email address.
Hi|oboys

Post by Hi|oboys » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 pm

just play global agenda for the time being till its released. (Free game) its like 80% the same thing. I got into beta, played like 30 mins. Realized its almost exactly like global agenda, stopped playing. :/ Maybe on release it will seperate itself from GA.
Current Games
Natural Selection 2 - Hi|oBoyS.j2 / Curious Gorge.j2 / NSPlayer.j2
Path of Exile - HiloBoyS
XBOXONE GamerTag - HiloBoyS
Current Games on XBONE: Overwatch, The Division, and Warframe

Why you should remember me?
Paykan and I came up with the .j2 tag! (Yea were lame, proud lamers ftw)
Rock wrote:"Nerf paper. Scissors are just fine. Thanks."
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Lots more keys. Give me your email and I'll give you an invite.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 am

I have 5 invites as well to give away. PM me your email address if you're interested, and i'll send them your way!
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I feel bad. I got a key and never even dl'd it.

edit: I did, and the code didn't work. Got any more? Anyone?
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Oh shit. They released their big PvE Milestone patch and I didn't notice. It's definitely time to give this game another go. Looks like this weekend there's a beta event, too. The Chosen Invasion. Might be fun.

Still got keys. If anyone wants one, PM me your email.
Looks like at some point they also made it possible to have the system just generate keys. Neat.
HIOZL-64W8L-DCTXG-KWMDB
6ZFNL-5S8ZA-4OAQJ-KLRF4
Last edited by Avvatar on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.