Dark Souls: Ready to die

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Re: Dark Souls: Ready to die

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Can't figure it out? You can lock on, put a weapon or shield in either right or left hand, if you're using a controller the shoulder buttons control your hands, light and heavy for each shoulder button on each side. If you read the messages on the floor in the first part of the game it pretty much tells you how to do EVERYTHING.

It's mastering the combat that's hard, not working it. It's pretty basic, block, dodge, attack. YOu just have to realize it's fairly realistic and you can only do one thing at once and you move pretty slow and you really have to think about what you're doing. I'm having a blast with this so far. Died about 37 times. The hard part really is to figure out where to go next and not accidentally stumble into some area where something is totally going to fuck you over, but there's wikis and shit to help you out with that if you really want it.

Two major gripes I have about the game: Your currency and your experience are both souls. Basically you have to decide if you want to spend the shit on levelling up or on items. I guess you get enough and you can always go back and grind for them that it's not such a big deal but it just seems like a silly concept. The game is difficult enough without having to think about that shit all the time, like I want to level up but maybe I'll need these souls for repair later and maybe I'll just die twice and fuckin lose em all AUGH.

That and CAN YOU NOT FUCKING PAUSE THIS GAME? What in the fuck. I have this pirated playing on offline mode and no matter what menu I bring up you can still see everything happening in the background and nothing is paused. Not being able to pause a single player game drives me fucking crazy. The world is still happening around me outside of the game THANKS.

I spent a lot of time at the beginning thinking it was way too hard because both paths I found kept fucking me over, only to discover a harder to spot 3rd path where I actually had to go, and then it was a lot more manageable.

If you're not using a controller for this you're just duuuuuuuuumb.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:58 pm

The using souls for everyone and no pausing are both entirely intentional and one of the unique aspects of the game.

At first, it can seem a little frustrating trying to manage your souls, but as you get later in the game and start to get a better feel for it, you realize it's really not that bad.

No pausing helps add to the sense of "It's not safe here. It's never safe here." You're only safe if you're resting at a bonfire, and that's one of the larger motifs of the game.

If you're going to put the controller down, you better do it in a safe area devoid of any enemies or resting at the bonfire. If you need to leave for an extended period of time (like 30 minutes or an hour), you can always exit to the main menu and you'll be able to come back in right where you were.

On the topic of putting the controller down: DON'T PUT IT DOWN NEAR A FRIENDLY NPC. If one of your triggers should slip ever so slightly you could easily impale and kill your favorite NPC.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Loooooooooooool I was reading about people that accidentally killed merchants and shit. Shit suuuuucks. I totally was cheap and bought the arrows and sniped the dragon tail for the drake sword or whatever, it's pretty bitchin.

And I can see that adding to it, but STILL. Thought it is good to know about exiting to the main menu. It just sucked the first time I didn't realize you couldn't pause and I totally got my dick shredded for it. I fucking love how much time I can see myself putting into this though. The whole open world aspect and the multiple classes to try and trying to play through in different ways with different items and shit. It's a reaaaaaally well thought out and well made RPG, you don't see a lot of games like this anymore. It's cool to see games like this and the witcher 2 that don't really hold your hand and are extreeemely rewarding when you accomplish shit. Even beating that first asylum boss felt great, after leaping down and stabbing his head and then rolling around and slashing him till he dies. So fun. Game looks reaaaally nice on PC with the DSfix mod too.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm using a 360 controller.

And you can lock on? That would probably make this a hell of a lot easier, I was having such a fucking difficult time actually making contact.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:35 pm

LOL you click the right thumb stick. It's one of the first messages that you can read.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Well I OBVIOUSLY didn't see that message.

Now I don't feel like I wasted 30$
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 pm

I love watching first-playthrough reactions Cx

While I'm here might as well post this
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 am

I gave up again. I seriously can't get past the 4 skeletons at the beginning of the game.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:52 am

You mean the skeletons in the graveyard near Firelink Shrine? That's a higher-level area and you shouldn't go there at the beginning of the game. I did the same thing.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 am

AlphaKennyOne wrote:You mean the skeletons in the graveyard near Firelink Shrine? That's a higher-level area and you shouldn't go there at the beginning of the game. I did the same thing.
According to Blip you can beat anything as a naked lv1.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 am

you can if you're good enough.

Read: Far and above Lecter's skill level (no offense brobama)
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 am

Dr Lecter wrote:I gave up again. I seriously can't get past the 4 skeletons at the beginning of the game.
lol. Oh boy. EXPLORE, shit, man. Go back to the shrine. Look for an aqueduct-like structure in the near distance. Head that way.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 am

I killed like 15 of those skeletons and ran from like 2 giant ones before I realized there was another way. I was like man this game IS really really hard SHIT. And then when I found the right way I was like o thats more like it.

When I went down in the underpart and got killed as fuck by ghosts I knew immediately that was the wrong way.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 am

AlphaKennyOne wrote:You mean the skeletons in the graveyard near Firelink Shrine? That's a higher-level area and you shouldn't go there at the beginning of the game. I did the same thing.
Oh, well that makes sense.. lol

I killed 3 and 1/2 of them a couple of times but kept dying on the last one.

I thought this was a linear game so I presumed I was failing at the easiest task.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am

For the most part, it IS linear. There are a few branching areas (they're basically hubs) and if you find yourself facing enemies that you feel are way too difficult, you probably took the wrong branch. It does get to a point where there are a few things you'll have to do, and it doesn't matter which way you go as long as you do it all.

Also, read item descriptions. A couple of them will give you an idea of where you need to be, others may offer some insight into the backstory.