Game controller / pad

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Game controller / pad

Post by mbaxter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm

The Steam Machine announcement got me thinking about controllers. I'd like to be able to play some of my (COMPLETELY LEGALLY ACQUIRED BACKUPS) emulated games using a controller, as well as (while I'm at it, why not?) some other PC games I own. Does anybody in j2 have experience with game controllers for PC, and perhaps advice?
jermm

Re: Game controller / pad

Post by jermm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Just buy a 360 controller (any wired one, or wireless with adapter). dpad kinda sucks but it just works™.

Note that the "play and charge" cable doesn't enable a wireless controller to work on PC.
Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I use an old PSX (OLD SCHOOL) controller with an adaptor similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Playstation-C ... sb+adapter
$5, works and maps fine, but may be a bit TOO old school... Stuff I play with it:

NES (JNES)
SNES (SNES9X)
N64 (Project64)
Gamecube - just Super Smash Bros. Melee (Dolphin)
Arcade games like The Simpsons, TNMT, etc. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)
Need For Speed Undeground 2
Crashday
Minecraft (using JoyToKey)

Oh, this great little program will also allow you to remap keyboard presses to a joystick (you know, to cheat on Google-type games or Cookie Clicker or such LOL):
http://joytokey.net/en/

Meh...
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0U00921743
These third-party receivers have some so-so reviews, but they are a third of the price of the official receiver. You may also have to install the drivers using the instructions provided in the information section.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm

dantesus wrote:official receiver.
I looked for one a while back, as far as I'm aware they stopped selling them and the only "official" ones you can find these days are either used or fake, finding someone with backstock would be a matter of luck.

I use a wired 360 controller for my computer and it works like a charm, as plug-and-play as you can get and, well, it's a 360 controller, so the only actual issue with it is of course the D-pad isn't that great. Funny you should bring up PC controllers though, with the announcement of SteamOS and Steam Machines it's believed Friday's update will be the reveal of Valves official controller, they received a patent like a year or two ago for a modular controller a-la Rat-9 but not ugly and with interchangable joysticks and buttons to basically make your ideal controller. No idea when it'd come out but hopefully Friday will tell us lots about that.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 am

jermm wrote:Just buy a 360 controller (any wired one, or wireless with adapter). dpad kinda sucks but it just works™.
King_Fluffy
Xfire: kingfluffysxfire

Post by King_Fluffy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 am

I use the F710 and I like it, haven't found any problems with it yet. I would say it depends on what sort of controller you prefer to handle. Also I'm not sure about others but the F710 supports XInput and DirectInput which is handy.
tehENEMY wrote:I purchased tortilla strips not chips. They aren't even triangles they taste like lies.
Not huffy or stuffy, nor tiny or tall,
But fluffy, just fluffy, with no brains at all.

[img2]http://images.joe.to/images/2c0da8b58756cc8f740d0f5f1e6da7a2.png[/img2]
rockerboy
Pls luv me
<font color=#e900da><b>Pls luv me</b></font>

Post by rockerboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 am

I have a different question. My wired 360 controller works for about 10 seconds. When I unplug it, it crashes my computer. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 am

The 360 controller is pretty good. Built like a tank and the perfect size to hold comfortably, but it's a 360 controller so you probably already know that. The d-pad isn't great, as others have said, but it's functional. I do hate all-in-one circular style d-pads, though, it always feels like it's not quite clear enough to my fingers what they're pressing before they do and that's as someone who learned to type without the home keys.
rockerboy5 wrote:I have a different question. My wired 360 controller works for about 10 seconds. When I unplug it, it crashes my computer. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?
What OS are you using? Have you updated your drivers?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ... or-windows
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 am

rockerboy5 wrote:I have a different question. My wired 360 controller works for about 10 seconds. When I unplug it, it crashes my computer. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?
It might be because you are using a MAC LOL

No seriously, are you using Bootcamp or something? It might cause issues with the drivers when it comes to emulation.

Unless you are actually using a PC, then WELCOME TO THE REST OF THE GAMING WORLD! :p
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
Maha

Post by Maha » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:42 pm

jermm wrote:Just buy a 360 controller (any wired one, or wireless with adapter). dpad kinda sucks but it just works™.
Gonna bump this a third time. Pretty much what I used to play Dark Souls and anything else I felt required a controllers.

Also works great with emulators.
rockerboy
Pls luv me
<font color=#e900da><b>Pls luv me</b></font>

Post by rockerboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Not running boot camp. Gonna get a program that allows me to run mac/windows simultaneously, though. I'll try updating.
Velp

Post by Velp » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 am

mbaxter wrote:The Steam Machine announcement got me thinking about controllers. I'd like to be able to play some of my (COMPLETELY LEGALLY ACQUIRED BACKUPS) emulated games using a controller, as well as (while I'm at it, why not?) some other PC games I own. Does anybody in j2 have experience with game controllers for PC, and perhaps advice?
What systems are you playing on your computer. You can get usb controllers of said system. I think this is the place that I seen sell some. http://www.infiniteneslives.com/
rockerboy5 wrote:Not running boot camp. Gonna get a program that allows me to run mac/windows simultaneously, though. I'll try updating.
So you don't mind having your computer run much slower then it should and could lead to other problems?
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly