Rust

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
GustavG

Rust

Post by GustavG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 am

I think it was just recently brought out on steam and you can buy it for 19€/19$(?)
Its a Sandbox survival zombie game with building, crafting and dicks
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Re: Rust

Post by Ian7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm

So minecraft with better graphics.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
ggg

Post by ggg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:30 pm

the game is made by garrys mod garry, in unity i believe.

it's closer to dayz meets garrys mod with resource harvesting than just minecraft with better graphics.

the game is very much like what i always hear dayz is like. pretty big map, 100+ players per server (fluctuates with the tide of updates). scavenging ruins for supplies. killing zombies. telling people you're friendly and then shooting them in the back of the head, etc. super super dark nights, too.

you harvest resources to make a wooden foundation, pillars, walls, ceiling, door, etc. you place buildings kinda like how you place shit in garry's mod, except once placed you can't dismantle them without completely destroying them (which is incredibly tedious unless you have c4, which is very expensive - structures also degenerate over time, though fairly slowly).

you can scavenge for loot. sometimes you come across a blueprint that teaches you how to make something, like grenades or a weapon mod. sometimes you come across a research kit and paper that you can use on shit you've found and learn how to make it that way.

you don't quite lose everything when you die. you certainly lose all your items you had on you, but if you make it back to your body quick enough you can recover what was there before it despawns (unless someone else got to it first). all the shit you have stored in your fort is kept safe until some gang comes around with shit loads of c4 and blows down all your doors. you never lose your blueprints unless you switch servers.

some servers have something called "sleepers" enabled, which means when you log out you just kinda ragdoll onto the ground so you can be killed, instead of temporarily poofing out of existence.
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I've been playing and streaming this for the last couple of days now, and I must say that I hate everyone in this game. This shit is hardcore, your character doesn't go away when you log out from a server, so you can get killed by zombies, bears, boar, and most likely people. Love it still, I've had some very lul-worthy moments playing this game. I recommend it to anyone, but be warned, you will rage.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Erickarkos

Post by Erickarkos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:46 pm

NSFW
VIEW CONTENT:
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Avoid servers with more than 30 people.

See, the map is no where near as huge as the one in DayZ (honestly it feels like one-tenth the size of a DayZ map). So, expect to spawn right in the middle of
a shootout between players if the server is busy. Also, maps in DayZ were realistic, as they were based on topographical maps of real locations. So the notion
of being a survivor on the outskirts of a post-apocalyptic landscape is much more accentuated.

On the plus side, a smaller map means no vehicles (because source engine); meaning that achieving map supremacy is harder now . In dayz once you got the bus, literally every problem regarding survival was gone ,as you could be always be on the run occasionally stopping for supplies, giving you no reason to keep playing as your most basic needs are solved
and thus making the game pointless afterwards.

Also, since this game is on source: The controls are 100000 times better, ie in this game w moves you forward, DayZ controls do not comply to this simple rule of design.
And the game can run and look good (for source of course) on any computer. Dayz can get to be so resource intensive that your gpu, much like a women after giving birth,
would not play games in the same way (and it will be all stretch out and shit)
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
GustavG

Post by GustavG » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:01 pm

dantesus wrote:I've been playing and streaming this for the last couple of days now, and I must say that I hate everyone in this game. This shit is hardcore, your character doesn't go away when you log out from a server, so you can get killed by zombies, bears, boar, and most likely people. Love it still, I've had some very lul-worthy moments playing this game. I recommend it to anyone, but be warned, you will rage.
You are playing on servers with sleeper on some servers dont have it on
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Django wrote:Avoid servers with more than 30 people.

See, the map is no where near as huge as the one in DayZ (honestly it feels like one-tenth the size of a DayZ map). So, expect to spawn right in the middle of
a shootout between players if the server is busy. Also, maps in DayZ were realistic, as they were based on topographical maps of real locations. So the notion
of being a survivor on the outskirts of a post-apocalyptic landscape is much more accentuated.

On the plus side, a smaller map means no vehicles (because source engine); meaning that achieving map supremacy is harder now . In dayz once you got the bus, literally every problem regarding survival was gone ,as you could be always be on the run occasionally stopping for supplies, giving you no reason to keep playing as your most basic needs are solved
and thus making the game pointless afterwards.

Also, since this game is on source: The controls are 100000 times better, ie in this game w moves you forward, DayZ controls do not comply to this simple rule of design.
And the game can run and look good (for source of course) on any computer. Dayz can get to be so resource intensive that your gpu, much like a women after giving birth,
would not play games in the same way (and it will be all stretch out and shit)
The game is built using Unity Engine. Even though it hasn't been explicitly stated, I'm almost sure that vehicles will be implemented into the game. Server admins have access to a command that spawns a (non-working) car model. The playable map right now is small, but I wandered off into the unfinished parts of the map and it's quite large. Link to Rust Map. The bottom part of the map with the road circling the mountains is the only fleshed out part of the map so far, with resources and animals / zombies only spawning in that area.

I trust that Facepunch Studios is competent enough to publish a really good experience, considering how much Garry's mod was updated and how dedicated that team is. I'm really excited for the future of this game.
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm

https://trello.com/b/lG8jtz6v

I found a cool site that shows a lot of what the development team is working on, as they work on it. It's a nice representation of their process, but not necessarily the workflow they use internally. Still awesome!
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Thursday patch!

So a patch is coming out tomorrow, adding a lot of server-side commands and (hopefully) fixing a lot of exploits and hacks. Here are the patch notes taken from "playrust.com"
We’ve got a patch for you that contains a tonne of fixes but also some new content for you to enjoy, check out the change list :

fixed open door hack
fixed noclipping
added revolver – default blueprint
removed 9mm pistol as a default blueprint
added metal bars you can put in windows
quality slider has much more of a significant impact on performance (needs work, maybe tomorrow)
disabled cursor hack for linux, which should hopefully fix crazy cursor issues.
server -datadir is now used for config files. Server owners should move their cfg folder inside.
-datadir default is now “serverdata/”. If not using -datadir previously, server owners should move their saves into the new folder.
added server rcon, runs on queryport and uses the same protocol as source servers
console now reports an error when command isn’t found
console variables now show their values when typed into the console
changing a console variable will now print the change
‘ban’ now accepts a second optional argument, reason
‘banid’ now accepts <username> <argument>
‘status’ now shows the connected players
‘banlist’ shows all banned users
‘banlistex’ shows all banned users, with names and reasons
‘removeid’ unbans a user by steamid
‘say’ allows the server admin to talk to all connected clients
research kit no longer requires paper
research kit has a random amount of uses (1-3)
shelters now use a single mesh instead of compound colliders
made explosives require metal to craft
improved pipe shotgun sound
lowered shadow distance to a realistic level, should help with jittery shadows
weapon sounds are slightly randomized so each shot isn’t identical to the last
stopped looting through walls
adjusted clock sycronization
fix attempt to ghosting
servers start up faster
pipe shotgun now visibly ejects a shell on reload
bolt action bullets are visible during reload
fixed bug where respawning frequently could cause you to get stuck and have to reconnect due to invisible respawn screen.
bruteforce rcon guessing is punished

In Addition we’re wiping all official servers to get rid of all the duped items now that we’ve fixed that issue
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:46 am

Just picked this up today, and it's a ton of fun. I ran into some trouble with some people at first, but then a group of hackers showed up and saved the day. I now have a decent-sized house, and am starting to gather a bunch of resources. I'm really enjoying the large map, because even with 75+ people playing at the same time, I'm rarely seeing anyone else that is going to fuck up my shit. If anyone else still plays this, let me know, because grouping up with people is a ton of fun.
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm

GustavG wrote: You are playing on servers with sleeper on some servers dont have it on
what
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Hooplah wrote:
GustavG wrote: You are playing on servers with sleeper on some servers dont have it on
what
Sleepers are a way of keeping your character in the world after you log out. So you can still lose your character even if you aren't playing.