Titanfall Beta and game release

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
DoggyHound

Re: Titanfall Beta and game release

Post by DoggyHound » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Hey gentlemen, remember to add DoggyHound on origin!
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I kind of want to go to the Microsoft Store for the Titanfall launch.
Kaptastr0phe

Post by Kaptastr0phe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

added Doggy. everyone else who'll be on Origin for this. Derkapitan = moi. add me.
YOU CAN'T RESIZE MY SWAGGER. and I totally didn't mean to leave that huge signature up as long as I did, but...changing it just wasn't a priority.
jermm

Post by jermm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:42 am

It was going so well until I alt-tabbed and crashed.
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:40 am

Played all night and got to level 21 just by doing both sides of the campaign. Super fun and i was really impressed with all the stuff that was kept from us during the beta.
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:00 am

Looks like fun, but why the hell is this game $60? It has no single player campaign, which is a large part of development costs. And it requires Origin, which is a big turnoff. EA has burnt me too many times in the past and I refuse to be a victim again; they can't hurt me anymore!
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

Parasyte wrote:Looks like fun, but why the hell is this game $60? It has no single player campaign, which is a large part of development costs. And it requires Origin, which is a big turnoff. EA has burnt me too many times in the past and I refuse to be a victim again; they can't hurt me anymore!
EA will continue to turn you into a victim even after you are long gone from this world. The best way is accept the inevitable and comply with our EA overlords.

Regarding the 60 dollar price, remember it has has been a staple of the 7th generation that was partially justified on the basis
that the PS3 was making games on bluray disk. However, most companies making triple A titles decided ride the same bandwagon (i.e Call of duty 4) ,and people bought
all those fully priced games regardless of the platform.

Speaking of Call of Duty, the parallels between that franchise and this games are too obvious to ignore. Next question...
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Django wrote:Regarding the 60 dollar price, remember it has has been a staple of the 7th generation that was partially justified on the basis
that the PS3 was making games on bluray disk. However, most companies making triple A titles decided ride the same bandwagon (i.e Call of duty 4) ,and people bought
all those fully priced games regardless of the platform.

Speaking of Call of Duty, the parallels between that franchise and this games are too obvious to ignore. Next question...
None of that is justification for a $60 price tag on this game, especially for a digital download copy. I don't need or want any damn disks, so they shouldn't be charging me for the packaging materials. More to the point, I was talking about content, not format and distribution.

This is the digital-download age, hence Steam and Origin. They didn't have the typical expenses of scripting, animation and voice-acting that come with a single-player campaign. There is no reason for such a high price tag on a purely multiplayer game.

EA's rationale for this being multiplayer-only was that only 5% of players actually finish the single-player campaign and most of those do it in only a few hours, so they decided to focus all resources on the multiplayer game instead of "splitting the team". But what that really means is that they made this game using a much smaller design team with less management/directing staff. Far less overhead and investment and yet they still price it like a full triple A title. This is part of the reason I'm not fond of EA.
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:43 pm

The game has a campaign mode that is also multiplayer at the same time and it is really fun. As for the price, After playing for a while the game seems to be pretty polished with a fair amount of content up to the high levels of play. Not to mention they plan on releasing free updates that add more content alongside the planned map packs that are coming out.

As for the call of duty likeness, the game has way better graphics and is on a completely different engine than any of the previous call of duty games, so the only likeness i see is that some of the original Infinity Ward dev team worked on the game. Saying all shooters are like call of duty or battlefield is just like saying that all mmos are like World of Warcraft or that all dungeon crawlers are just Diablo ripoffs. Sure enough, both games are FPS games but the mechanics that go alongside both games are completely different. You'll rarely find anyone camping any spot in Titanfall (Unless youre this Cunt named "GetCrabby" who was camping in a hardpoint game) and the grunts and spectre add a more real feeling of depth and make you think you're actually apart of a war zone rather than just being against players in some dumb game.

Map design was also pretty well thought out with all the stuff they had to think about. Although its pretty obvious if a structure was placed for the parkour aspect but its really cool to think up your own running paths. Like on the Map airbase there is a billboard that is clearly put in in order to jump to a platform on a building thats across a large road, but you can use this too instead jump on top of some crates to scale a nearby building. One of my buddies also used this billboard in order to get a sneak attack and jump on top of an enemy titan that was moving through the streets.

But whatever. I like it and Thats what matters to me. Haters can just keep hating ill just ignore them and enjoy my cool as hell new game.
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 pm

And while i do feel that digital downloads should be priced at fifty rather than sixty i was willing to overlook that for Titanfall.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Parasyte wrote:
Django wrote: None of that is justification for a $60 price tag on this game, especially for a digital download copy. I don't need or want any damn disks, so they shouldn't be charging me for the packaging materials. More to the point, I was talking about content, not format and distribution.

This is the digital-download age, hence Steam and Origin. They didn't have the typical expenses of scripting, animation and voice-acting that come with a single-player campaign. There is no reason for such a high price tag on a purely multiplayer game.

EA's rationale for this being multiplayer-only was that only 5% of players actually finish the single-player campaign and most of those do it in only a few hours, so they decided to focus all resources on the multiplayer game instead of "splitting the team". But what that really means is that they made this game using a much smaller design team with less management/directing staff. Far less overhead and investment and yet they still price it like a full triple A title. This is part of the reason I'm not fond of EA.
If you don't want to pay 60 bucks for that game, you don't have to. Just wait until the price drops is not like the game is gonna grow legs
and go somewhere where you can reach it. Most people say the game is very good, regardless of the price range

Yes, that doesn't justify the price tag where everything is digital distribution ,but it's the actual reasoning behind it, as much as the developers
wanting to ask for more money is a much more direct reasoning for it.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Parasyte wrote:None of that is justification for a $60 price tag on this game
Honestly, the only "justification" that they need is people buying it.
Prices are based on perceived value, not material cost.
I dislike EA for many reasons. Charging $60 for a game worth every penny isn't one of them.
Kaptastr0phe

Post by Kaptastr0phe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm

loafozard wrote:And while i do feel that digital downloads should be priced at fifty rather than sixty i was willing to overlook that for Titanfall.
agreed, and I usually wait for a sale. I lucked out tho and pre-ordered through Gamefly for my Origin copy. and scored it for $48
YOU CAN'T RESIZE MY SWAGGER. and I totally didn't mean to leave that huge signature up as long as I did, but...changing it just wasn't a priority.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:17 pm

I only played two missions in the "campaign" and while it certainly isn't a traditional singleplayer it's still evident that some development time and effort was spent on it soooooo yeah there's your 60$.

Also it runs smooth as hell and has accepted all of my key rebinds so it's already ahead of every other game I've bought in the past 6 months or so. Quality over quantity sometimes ya know?
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:41 am

This game is great fun. I'll probably be playing sometime this weekend and other random times if anyone else is.

KmartTerrorist
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.