12GB?! Also I need my invite! -_-
NIPPER

Re: TitanFall Beta and game release

Post by NIPPER » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:00 pm

downloading it now :D
jermm

Post by jermm » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:08 pm

I've been away from my first hour for a while.

Performance is OK on my quad AMD Athlon ii / GTX 460 768MB. Most settings low at 1920x1080. Framerate is acceptable, I have V-Sync off so it will tear.

It's interesting to watch tactics with the creeps. I saw one player do a good job of hiding in a group of them. I've only played the "deathmatch" mode, which you score 1pt/creep, 4pt/player, 5pt/titan kill. The weapons are simple to understand, even the more "creative" guns like the auto-aim pistol.

Even when you aren't doing great, because you can get points killing the creeps, you feel like you are doing something. Same with the titans spawn system, even if you aren't getting kills on players, you still drop that timer killing creeps / doing damage.

The tutorial (which I believe is required) is great, which forces players to have an understanding of the game systems. It's set in an almost Portal-like environment.

Game was (is?) down due to Microsoft Azure issues, so hopefully they need to add a ton more users to find more problems that will occur with higher playercounts. Beta appears to still be taking signups at http://www.titanfall.com/beta
Woona

Post by Woona » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Still waiting on an invite...
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 pm

I really wanted to get in this beta so I could discover the game is terrible and repetitive and not have to buy it :(
ggg

Post by ggg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 am

well youre in for some good news because the game is terrible and repetitive and you shouldnt buy it
Woona

Post by Woona » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 am

Great explanation there (!) could use some more detail in that post
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:44 am

I watched STAR__ livestream his first time playing it early this morning. The game looks nice but constantly throws dirt and blood and shit on your HUD, and it is super annoying. The game is filled with bots and not many players, which differentiates it from games like CoD, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On the positive, it discourages camping; on the negative, the gameplay lacks personality. The giant mechs/Titans seem like a big deal, but you basically can get them whenever. The fact that they are powerful coupled with them being easy to get makes them cheap and not terribly fun. They should be a reward for getting a killstreak or something. TitanFall looks like it has very fun parkour-type movements. You can run on walls and double jump while in the air, which personally looks like one of the coolest parts, though it doesn't always seem that useful. I'm looking forward to seeing if people make skill maps for this game, kind of like Mirror's Edge. This is completely based on watching STAR__ play it because I haven't received a beta key, and I'm sure he will have a video on TitanFall soon.
Woona

Post by Woona » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am

They did say for one thing titanfall would be 6v6 and the rest would be bots
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:23 pm

my official review: game is fun
jermm

Post by jermm » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Beta should open up on Sunday.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/15/541549 ... -to-follow
An open beta for the Windows PC version will follow, Zampella said, sometime on Sunday, Feb. 16.
Kaptastr0phe

Post by Kaptastr0phe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 am

Wolsk wrote: The fact that they are powerful coupled with them being easy to get makes them cheap and not terribly fun.
ah the benefits of being a spectator not a player. the titans are -not- powerful, and ridiculously easy to take down. cloak, double-jump, rodeo them to shoot their core, rinse repeat. I'll take down titans all day, and half the time forget to even call mine in. if I do its generally to switch it over to AI, have it follow/support me, and take out all the people who try to attack it. they're no more difficult to take down than a decent player in any multiplayer fps.

also killstreaks encourage & reward campers, so frankly i'm glad the titans aren't on a system even remotely similar.
YOU CAN'T RESIZE MY SWAGGER. and I totally didn't mean to leave that huge signature up as long as I did, but...changing it just wasn't a priority.
Kaptastr0phe

Post by Kaptastr0phe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 am

NIPPER wrote:my official review: game is fun
seconded, the FPS genre had become amazingly stale, and I personally figured i'd barely play this.

turns out I was wrong, even with only 2 maps, 3 game modes, and 1 titan class.... i've been completely sucked in. I've allready hit the level cap, and yet still have continued playing. this has brought me back to my love of FPS's. and i'll gladly be buying this.

anyone on the pc version is free to add me to their friends list. origin id = derkapitan

I have a feeling i'll be on this quite a bit in the coming weeks.
YOU CAN'T RESIZE MY SWAGGER. and I totally didn't mean to leave that huge signature up as long as I did, but...changing it just wasn't a priority.
Derp
Xfire: mrpants259

Post by Derp » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:46 pm

This game looks pretty fun, is there any way I could snag a PC beta key? I signed up for it but never got one. Any loopholes/giveaways anyone knows about? Or maybe people are selling them somewhere?
tahts halo
dont worry
o_o