Starbound vs Edge of Space

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Starbound vs Edge of Space

Post by Jason » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I haven't played Starbound yet, I've had it on my wishlist because it seems like of an even bigger terraria that is in space. Now this game comes out, Edge of Space, which seems like the exact same thing, but it had the actual Terraria name slapped on it on the steam store, and I just discovered it since it's on sale for about half the price of Starbound, which I've been waiting for to go on sale and it never has.

Or is it the same game and they just changed the name? They're both technically still in beta and are just early access if you buy it now so you can still play it immediately.

Curious if they are in fact different games if anyone has played both of them and has any thoughts/thinks it would be worth it to get one when I already got the other.
Installing EOS now so I'll see soon enough if it's any good. I loved Terraria, though it got old for me after a while. It's been ages since I've played it so I'm thinking this will prob be really fun for me for a good bit. I was thinking about restarting Terraria anyway if Starbound had never gone on sale during summersale.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
ggg

Re: Starbound vs Edge of Space

Post by ggg » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm

played starbound. its shit. do not buy. devs have pretty much abandoned it.

in terraria you actually had bosses and shit to kill - objectives, as well as a changing world
in starbound you have 4 bosses, and each boss goes something like:
-mine metals
-build a thing that summons a boss
-kill boss
-move on to next world tier
-repeat
the first boss is kinda unique and fun, but none of the other bosses are memorable, and can be easily beaten by just trapping them in a box and hitting them through the wall. its like they seriously just gave up after developing the first tier. worlds are static. the randomized creatures seem pretty cool at first but get dull quickly, especially because 90% just attack but jumping really high and being impossible to hit.

weapons/armor/monster strength progression is retarded:
-enter t1 world
-get 1 shot
-mine metals to build t1 armor and weapons
-1 shot monsters
-enter t2 world
-get 1 shot
-mine metals, etc
-1 shot monsters
-etc

you know how it's all space aged? well you pretty much just get these dull ass swords and bows. there are laser guns - sounds cool, right? - but they do jack shit and are completely useless.

starbound feels like it has more content than terraria, but it somehow feels like there's less to do

I know nothing about Edge of Space. It's early access so I'd just say fuck it, it's probably shit. I'm done with early access and incomplete games.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:26 pm

To expand on what ggg said, it's been 6 months since the last big update to Starbound. They'd been "moving offices" to the UK, and now that they're all finally settled in for like 2 months now, they still haven't released anything. The content they've said they've been working on for the next patch sounds interesting, customizable ship, combat overhaul, crop farming and cooking overhaul and other shit, but it's still got sooooo long to go before being an actual game. It's still more of an alpha than a beta.

There are 10 "tiers" in Starbound, and the first tier is pretty well fleshed out. As soon as you get to the second tier, the quests immediately stop, but you can figure out how to get to the next boss. Once you kill the 5th boss, the way to get to the next tiers is just mining as they haven't made any more bosses. Tiers 5-10 are literally just mining. As ggg said, get one shot, farm, one shot monsters, go to next tier, get one shot etc. The worlds are pretty much the same though from the first to second to 10th tier.

Oh and as you dig down into the world, the mobs dont get tougher with different biomes. Really there's like no incentive to go down into the world unless you're looking for blocks from a certain biome.

The surfaces of worlds are pretty cute and interesting the first time around sometimes, like when yuo come across prisons or villages, but then you realize they have no story or character or purpose and dont sell anything remotely useful. Then you just murder them cuz they're taking up space on the fuckin planet.

tldr early access games suck cocknuggets
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Starbound looks way better than terraria or edge of tomorrow, despite not being the better game
Presentation is better, too.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Shame to hear that about starbound. I just found out about it a week or two ago and put it on my wishlist. The videos/pictures on the steam page looked really good. Never heard of edge of space but it looks nice too, might pick it up later on down the road
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 pm

The thing to remember, like what waterbear said, is that starbound is still in its development. Where as terraria and edge of space are full release titles.

If you want something fun, just go with terraria. It will draw a ton of your time and just envelope you in awesome.
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:15 pm

edge of space is still early access

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238240/
g
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Are there any Early Access games that the devs didn't just give up on a couple months after release?
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 pm

Arma3 was early access I think. Minecraft and Dota2 were betas too? Except they were still basically full games when opened to beta.
g
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Natural Selection 2 and Terraria
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
prolix

Post by prolix » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:32 am

I think i spent upwards of like 100$ on preorders and copies for ns2, still yet to play a real game of it...
Maha

Post by Maha » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:58 pm

prolix wrote:I think i spent upwards of like 100$ on preorders and copies for ns2, still yet to play a real game of it...
Really don't know why NS2 never caught on here. People just can't seem to step out of the TF2 server for some reason.
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:15 pm

minecraft was still in alpha when it first started catching on around here
prolix

Post by prolix » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Muffin wrote:minecraft was still in alpha when it first started catching on around here
This, minecraft occupied a lot of my time. I probably played 3-4 thousand hours of ns1 which kinda contributed to me not wanting to play ns2. the same goes for Dota2 now, spent way too much time on old dota to even enjoy the new one anymore

Hell minecraft still robs me of time years later, damn you gregtech.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:35 am

starbound isn't dead or abandoned, they just moved to england and are doing 30 different things at the same time.
disorganised, sure, abandoned, no

i mean, does this look dead to you?
http://playstarbound.com/

i fucking love starbound, it's fun to mod, it's fun to play, but yes, like it says on the box, it's "early access" so don't expect a full fleshed out game

also, since the combat rework, scaling is a lot better imo. it's still not finished, but it's no longer the "get instakilled in every new zone" it used to be