Dwarf Fortress

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
bloodcrow

Dwarf Fortress

Post by bloodcrow » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:46 pm

After years of hearing about Dwarf Fortress and being daunted every time i looked at it, i decided to give it another look and start reading/ watching tutorials.

To ease new users into the world of DF, there's the Lazy Newb Pack (link is for Windows version). There are plenty of tutorials on how to do the initial set up. I strongly suggest using the Phoebus or Ironhand tileset (i use Ironhand). You'll also want to make sure that Dwarf Therapist is turned on in the Utilities tab.

DF has turned out to be a mixed blessing. It is frustrating. It is complicated. It is infuriating at times but it's mesmerizing and it has left me craving to learn more. It's also been one of those games that i put under the category of "timehole". But the difference between this timehole and other timeholes is after playing DF, i feel satisfied- as though i've accomplished and maybe learned something.

If you play DF, i would very much like to know your thoughts and observations. If you don't and think you'd like give it a go, do it- just be aware that it's like Europa Universalis IV in that it's going to require a significant investment of time and patience.
Yeah, but then your face was there and I shot it. -Parasyte
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to touch your butt. - Pablo the Flying Macho Penis
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by MrBlip » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Dwarf Fortress has become almost boring for me. My forts are too successful and I'm not autistic enough to take on some of the monumental tasks people do once they've reached this stage.

The most fun I've had recently was the first fort I had in DF2014 when a werecat popped in and scared half my population off a cliff to their deaths. I then created a shitty quick militia to try and kill the werecat, but because it was a fucking cat it was agile as fuck. Finally killed it, but not before it bit one of my dwarves transferred the disease. I suspected it, but didn't know for sure until he transformed one season and killed 2 or 3 other dwarves. Walled him up in a his room until I could get a proper military to take care of him, except he transformed back into a dwarf in the middle of his beating and the military stopped. He crawled to my meeting hall, went to the waterfall, and then just jumped to his death.

I seriously can't believe that fort didn't succumb to a tantrum spiral. Probably thanks to that waterfall I had in my meeting hall.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Make more baby cannons.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Have you tried embarking in a Terrifying (evil + savage) biome yet, Blip? I've never tried it myself but it seems like an entertaining way to an end, especially if you get "lucky" with syndrome rain.
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 pm

I did one time and all I got was some lousy eyeball grass and cow blood rain or some shit. I have yet to find one of those clouds that turns all your dwarves into skeletons.
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

That's a shame, but having creatures track in crap from evil clouds that occurred off-map into another evil area seems to be relatively common. Some guy posted the other day on the Dwarf Fortress subreddit about having an outbreak of vile vapor (that caused bleeding, rotting, and lethargy) that was apparently introduced by a pack of wild ostriches that the hunters brought in.
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:26 pm

I haven't been in evil biomes this release so when I'm done with my current fort I'll give it another go. Glacier embark is something else I've been looking into giving a shot. I hope Toady fixes the issue with birds getting stuck and taking all the wildlife space in a map. It's getting really annoying.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Isn't this the game without any graphics where even the most trivial minutiae can kill you?
i.e like a nail on the floor that wasn't properly adjusted, you step on it , the wound infects, then you die of septic shock

Lol pass
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm

If I play a lot of Grand Strategy games like Victoria II or EUIV will this game probably be my cup of tea?
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Only in that you'd probably have the patience to learn/adjust to the UI, which is the first major hurdle for the game. The game isn't a grand strategy game, though some people do for some reason compare it to that genre from time to time. The core game is a roguelike on steroids with a town (fort)/people (dwarf) management game mode on the side. The random world you generate is very much alive, especially in this version, but there are some aspects still missing. Maybe at some point in the future it will become more like a grand strategy game, but at this point fortress mode is more like a Sim game that cuts your hand off when you make a mistake instead of holding it.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:45 pm

MrBlip wrote:Only in that you'd probably have the patience to learn/adjust to the UI, which is the first major hurdle for the game. The game isn't a grand strategy game, though some people do for some reason compare it to that genre from time to time. The core game is a roguelike on steroids with a town (fort)/people (dwarf) management game mode on the side. The random world you generate is very much alive, especially in this version, but there are some aspects still missing. Maybe at some point in the future it will become more like a grand strategy game, but at this point fortress mode is more like a Sim game that cuts your hand off when you make a mistake instead of holding it.
Sounds good to me.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald