Planetside 2

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Roughjericho

Re: Planetside 2

Post by Roughjericho » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Johnny5072

Post by Johnny5072 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Roughjericho wrote:Interesting times ahead.

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/ind ... 1500352890
This is most likely NOT a good thing. Just having been part of a situation like this in my own career and the company being put in Chapter 11 and most likely 7, they will probably look to cut costs and then sell the pieces.

Basically, keep playing for as long as you can until things get sold or shutdown. Investment firms are in business to make their money back on a sale or divestiture. They are not in the business of enhancing value or creating new IP.

Edit: And Yes we are having good times with this game! :D
Last edited by Johnny5072 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:45 pm

the game cant get any worse
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:12 pm

MrBlip wrote:the game cant get any worse
The game is whatever you make of it. I happen to be having a lot of fun and getting a pretty diverse skill-set. The Joes who've been playing recently are good fun, even when we're just crashing into shit. Bowling for Reavers/Mossies with the Galaxy is a blast!
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm

why do you dumbs keeps picking the vanu, they are the faction with the worst weapons and the least kills, probably.

Also, is this game still pay2win or what, i just want to get to headshot city
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:22 am

Django wrote:they are the faction with the worst weapons and the least kills, probably.
I'd like to see some stats to support that theory... Last I checked, VS are able to sweep the alerts without much trouble unless the TR and NC team up and work together, which has been happening more frequently. Happened last night, in fact, but we still won the alert.
Django wrote:Also, is this game still pay2win or what, i just want to get to headshot city
Parasyte wrote:FREE TO PLAY - Some people complain that the game is pay-to-win, but that has never been true. There is a store where you can buy weapons, but EVERYTHING that affects gameplay can also be obtained through playing the game and earning in-game certification points (certs). The store is predominantly for camouflage skins, hood ornaments and other cosmetic items.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:58 pm

I agree with Parasyte. I haven't played much in the past year, but back when the game was first released and I played heavily, the VS were always on top.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 am

I'm just mad the game is a boring battlefield clone and not planetside.

Also the game was shipped pretty incomplete. How many continents are there now? Last i played there was 3 - PlanetSide shipped with like 9 I think, which actually allowed there to be a global objective and weekly resets. The continent design overall is pretty shitty as well - way too many rolling hills, not enough flat areas (I guess this wouldn't be so much of a problem if the vehicles in the game didn't feel like they had super oiled up tires/tracks) - and the base layouts are retarded compared to the first PlanetSide (though I've seen a few on Amerish that are significantly better than the ones first shipped with the game).

You say the game is complex but I actually find all the mechanics in the game to be stupidly simple.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:40 pm

yea, listen to da man
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Django wrote:Also, is this game still pay2win or what, i just want to get to headshot city
And she's buuuuuying a staircase to headshot city :clap: :band:
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

MrBlip wrote:I'm just mad the game is a boring battlefield clone and not planetside.
I played PS1 for years; I loved that game despite its SIGNIFICANT technological shortcomings. You are right; this game doesn't play quite like PS1, but that's mostly because PS1 was released in 2003, built by an MMO developer, and didn't play like a typical FPS. I also don't recall any Battlefield game ever being at this kind of of scale.
MrBlip wrote:Also the game was shipped pretty incomplete. How many continents are there now? Last i played there was 3 - PlanetSide shipped with like 9 I think, which actually allowed there to be a global objective and weekly resets
There are 4, which is pretty good considering how large they are. These aren't TF2 maps, they're massive biomes. The original Planetside launched with too many continents, which is why they condensed everything down. Players left because everything was spread out too much over too many continents and you could never get a good war going. Objectives and alerts do need some love; that's one area where I wish they had focused a bit more on the MMO aspect of the game. Maybe add some NPCs for a storyline/character development element.
MrBlip wrote:The continent design overall is pretty shitty as well - way too many rolling hills, not enough flat areas (I guess this wouldn't be so much of a problem if the vehicles in the game didn't feel like they had super oiled up tires/tracks)
I haven't really seen this; maybe you were playing on Esamir too much? Terrain is varied enough that I still get lost while driving across continents.
MrBlip wrote:...and the base layouts are retarded compared to the first PlanetSide (though I've seen a few on Amerish that are significantly better than the ones first shipped with the game).
I think they tried to get a little too creative with some of the base designs and then over compensated by just making them more random. They've fixed quite a few, but I was at one on Hossin the other night and simply couldn't find the way to the roof for the vehicle terminals. They definitely need more signage to direct players.
MrBlip wrote:You say the game is complex but I actually find all the mechanics in the game to be stupidly simple.
I never said the game was complex, I said that the UI makes the game more complicated than it needs to be. The game mechanics are very simple, just as they were in PS1; some of the best games are based on simple mechanics. That being said, I would still expect some new players to be overwhelmed when they first play. The UI is not very intuitive and features like the "Nanocylcer" are just metagames with no value, but they are additional clutter to confuse newbies.

There are certainly things I would change about the game, but that's true of every game I've played. There is nothing about this game that would prevent any J2 folk from having a good time in a squad/platoon. I've had some of my most epic gaming experiences in Planetside and I can do a lot more in PS2 than I could in the original.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 pm

This guy is a US army vet and he has some good gameplay videos. This one is a bit long, but it's worth watching the first and last 3 minutes. It gives a good sense of how battles can play out with the right coordination and he sums up Planetside pretty well in the end of the video.

Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Last night we had nearly-full squad of J2 folks fighting on Amerish. We captured/re-secured a number of bases, but ended up spending the bulk of our time trying to capture a single base: Splitpeak Pass.

This base is wedged into a mountain, surrounded by cliff walls on all sides and very easily defensible. We spent a lot of time in Liberators and Galaxies just trying to keep their aircraft grounded while we slowly took down the generators and captured the points.

The fight lasted for a couple hours and averaged 200+ players (NC and VS). When the base finally capped, this happened (see highlighted area)...

The dominant outfit for the battle was J2. I wasn't expecting this simply because many of the J2 folk were still new to the game and we were fighting alongside several SSGO squads for much of the fight. Big thanks to everyone who helped out; it was a lot of fun playing strategically with you idiots.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I just love that it was only held for 59 seconds apparently.

EDIT: Oh my bad, 59 seconds since you captured it.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Chester A. Bum

Post by Chester A. Bum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:15 pm

By gum, we gave them what for. Now if only SOMEBODY hadn't shot me in the face, Neelpos.
What's good, huggabutt?