Planetside 2

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Parasyte

Planetside 2

Post by Parasyte » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:45 pm

We attempted a J2 outfit when Planetside 2 first launched, but the game wasn't optimized well at that time and many players drifted off. The game's dev team spent a year optimizing the game which resulted in significant playability improvements for the average player. I played the original Planetside extensively and have been playing PS2 on-and-off for a while now. Recently, I've been able to round up a decent group of J2 regulars to join the fun.

J2 OUTFIT:
The Joes of War
SERVER: Emerald (previously Matherson, but the server merged with Emerald)
FACTION: Vanu Sovereignty
CURRENT ROSTER >>

We now have enough active players in the outfit for a decent platoon (2-4 squads of up to 12 players each). We've been playing mostly in the evening hours and using Mumble for voice. If you would like an invite to the outfit, just send a request to myself or Why (aka: FakenEh in-game). Depending on response here, I would like to put together a crash course night for some of the newer people to learn the basics as a group.

GAME INFO:
VIEW CONTENT:
From the site: PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail.

Join one of (3) factions and battle for control of bases, towers and world resources over (4) unique continents. Each faction has a different look and unique benefits to their weapons/vehicles.

Below are some good gameplay videos that will give you an idea of the shenanigans you can get into:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
VIEW CONTENT:
Current Minimum System Requirements:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
  • Memory: 4 GB Installed RAM
  • Hard Drive: 15 GB free
  • Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Current Recommended System Requirements:
  • Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Hard Drive: 15 GB free
  • Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
PROS & CONS:
VIEW CONTENT:
  • SCALE - This isn't a typical FPS; these are huge, open worlds with multiple battles occurring across the different continents simultaneously. A single battle could involve hundreds of players.
  • DIVERSITY - There are options for every playstyle (infantry, vehicles, aircraft).
  • TEAM PLAY - This is not an FPS for you solo players. The key to increasing rank quickly and having a good time is finding a good squad or platoon to play with.
  • FREE TO PLAY - Some people complain that the game is pay-to-win, but that has never been true. There is a store where you can buy weapons, but EVERYTHING that affects gameplay can also be obtained through playing the game and earning in-game certification points (certs). The store is predominantly for camouflage skins, hood ornaments and other cosmetic items.
  • PRETTY - It really is a surprisingly good looking game, especially considering the scale.
  • COMPLEXITY - There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's mostly just overcomplicated by the game UI. They've made some improvements here, but it's still easy to be overwhelmed while trying to do something as simple as choosing a spawn location.
  • BALANCE - Giving each faction different benefits (power vs accuracy vs speed) sounds cool in theory, but it makes the game difficult to balance across the board. Because of this, there are several weapons and vehicles that just seem overpowered. However, the dev team has done well to continually release content updates and balance patches to resolve issues.
Last edited by Parasyte on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
dmitri ravinoff
ıɹʇıɯp

Re: Planetside 2

Post by dmitri ravinoff » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I think I will download this. how necessary is a mic?
I asked David Geffen personally if he'd donate to TF4 for me, but he wouldn't do it
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:44 pm

dmitri ravinoff wrote:how necessary is a mic?
Mic is entirely optional unless you want to lead squads/platoons. A mic is very handy for quickly communicating threats or enemy locations, but that can be done through chat as well.

There are unique unlockable skills and equipment that can be used by squad/platoon leaders, but if you have interest in command, then you really need a mic to communicate with the group.

I would still recommend that you join the Mumble channel so you can at least hear the outfit conversations.
Maha

Post by Maha » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Any chance we could get this placed on the front page since Secret Santas are over?
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Sure; we can make a brief post on the front page with vital info. I also have a banner graphic that I made for blip when we first tried this; we can reuse that.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am

Glad to see this thread. I was going to set up a thread in this forum for PS2 but it would not have been any where near as cool as the one parasyte set up.

What i was thinking if we get a lot of interest and a lot of J2ers to play is that since the default is set to 3 character slots that we create one character of each faction on a different server. That way if we want to play but the Vanu on emerald are just getting slaughtered, we can go with another faction on a different server. Just an idea. I already have a new conglomerate character on the connery server. (the server may be different)
Im not random. i just think faster then you.
Archer

Post by Archer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 pm

This is a thing now! Also, dickflares.
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:17 am

Downloaded this earlier tonight. No time to play right now but HMU on steam and let's play soon!
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Parasyte should learn how to do this with his galaxy
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Roughjericho

Post by Roughjericho » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:18 pm

A Ninja wrote:Parasyte should learn how to do this with his galaxy
oh fuck no, he's a shit enough pilot as it is
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Roughjericho wrote:oh fuck no, he's a shit enough pilot as it is
Shit?! I'm a great damn pilot! See if I ever give you a ride again! Plus, we already go bowling for Reavers/Skeeters and it's super effective!
Johnny5072

Post by Johnny5072 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Hippie of doom wrote:Glad to see this thread. I was going to set up a thread in this forum for PS2 but it would not have been any where near as cool as the one parasyte set up.

What i was thinking if we get a lot of interest and a lot of J2ers to play is that since the default is set to 3 character slots that we create one character of each faction on a different server. That way if we want to play but the Vanu on emerald are just getting slaughtered, we can go with another faction on a different server. Just an idea. I already have a new conglomerate character on the connery server. (the server may be different)
Hey Hippie,

I have an NC character on Connery as well. Maybe that can be our go to West Coast server and faction when the East Coast folks log off from the time difference. :D
Hippie of doom

Post by Hippie of doom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Johnny5072 wrote:
Hippie of doom wrote:Glad to see this thread. I was going to set up a thread in this forum for PS2 but it would not have been any where near as cool as the one parasyte set up.

Hey Hippie,

I have an NC character on Connery as well. Maybe that can be our go to West Coast server and faction when the East Coast folks log off from the time difference. :D
That will work. I would like to make a TR character as well but lets see if others like this idea. If so we can all decide on a server and all of that.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 pm

I would join you guys, but I have such limited time to play that I can't justify the loss of certs to another character.
Hippie of doom

Post by Hippie of doom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 am

Parasyte wrote:I would join you guys, but I have such limited time to play that I can't justify the loss of certs to another character.
Thats why i said if the vanu are getting slaughtered across the board in emerald and no amount of players can help we go to another server and faction and all of that but i fully understand the lack of time to game. I will be in the same boat soon.