New Crypto-ransomware making the rounds

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

New Crypto-ransomware making the rounds

Post by Neelpos » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Gamers may be used to paying to unlock downloadable content in their favorite games, but a new crypto-ransomware variant aims to make gamers pay to unlock what they already own. Data files for more than 20 games can be affected by the threat, increasing what is already a large target for cybercriminals. Another file type that hasn’t been targeted before is iTunes related. But first, let’s have a look at the initial infection.

This crypto-ransomware variant has been getting distributed from a compromised web site that was redirecting the visitors to the Angler exploit kit by using a Flash clip. Bromium Labs notified the owner of the web site, but they haven’t responded. At the time of writing this blog, the website was still serving malware. The web site is based on WordPress and could have been compromised by any one of the numerous WP exploits. Additionally, the URL where the malicious Flash file is hosted keeps changing.
http://labs.bromium.com/2015/03/12/achi ... eo-gamers/

Basically don't click any links you don't recognize, especially through Steam. I mean you shouldn't do that anyways, but some of you need a reminder.
Your shit will get locked and they'll demand money for the key.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Re: New Crypto-ransomware making the rounds

Post by scobywhru » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:55 pm

also don't run applications with admin rights and keep shadow copies of all your files.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 am

Or just uninstall flash and never use websites that require it.

Seriously, why the fuck is flash still a thing. All its good for is providing some sort of back door for malware to fuck up your computer.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 am

MrBlip wrote:Or just uninstall flash and never use websites that require it.

Seriously, why the fuck is flash still a thing. All its good for is providing some sort of back door for malware to fuck up your computer.
How else am i going to play bloons tower defense XII?
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Akronymus
*facepalms*

Post by Akronymus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:40 am

scobywhru wrote:also don't run applications with admin rights and keep shadow copies of all your files.
Good idea. Uninstalling now.