Diplomacy

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Sanvich Hoovy

Diplomacy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm

For those who have never heard of it, Diplomacy is a board game created in the 1950's set in Pre-WW1 Europe. It requires 7 players: England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia, and Turkey, set up on the board like this.
The dots sprinkled across the board are supply centers, and for every one of them that you own, every couple of turns you'll get to construct more armies so that your # of supply centers = your # of armies. Each nation starts with 3 supply centers and 3 armies, except for russia, who gets 4. Your goal by the end of the game is to own 18 supply centers, which means you automatically win.

The game plays somewhat like risk, but with each army being equal in strength. The only way to defeat someone else's army is to support yours with a second army next to it, whether it be your own or someone else's. Here is where the key to the game lies. Diplomacy is all about convincing your opponents to work with you against a common foe, then (probably) backstabbing them before they can do the same to you.

Here's a better breakdown of the rules in ~10 minutes.
VIEW CONTENT:
There's a number of free versions of the game online, and the best one IMO is found at http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

I'd like to get a game set up sometime this weekend, if any of you have played before or are willing to give it a go.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Akronymus
*facepalms*

Re: Diplomacy

Post by Akronymus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I personally use http://webdiplomacy.net for playing. But i can play with ya on your site.
Joejoe347

Re: Diplomacy

Post by Joejoe347 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I might be interested in this. Bought the board game a while back but never played.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!