Dark Souls 3- Ignore original assumptions, prepare to hype

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Re: Dark Souls 3 leaked, now with less content

Post by narwal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 am

i played that shitty game for over 400 hours fuck
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:30 am

Yall fuckin nerds. DS1 was/is one of the best games I ever played in my limp dick life. DS2 is not that at all, but it's still a pretty damn fun game and it is reminiscent of the first one enough and has enough going for it to at least merit its existence. Also I've been playing Scholar and I find it to be at least a little bit better. SHRUG.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 pm

all jokes aside - i fucking love DS2. else i wouldntve played it for 400 hours. it is a very, very good video game.

dark souls 1 just had a better world and more lore and was a bit better in that regard, but theyre honestly equal to me
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:25 pm

I agree with Narwhal. DkS2 is a really great game. I have roughly 500 hours on it. Waaaay more than DkS1. I understand that people were disappointed with world design, but that shouldn't make B-team's contributions any less significant. Think of all the things they got right with DkS2.
-Better PvP
-More weapons with decent variation
-More armour=better fashion
-Smoother movements and better combat flow
-Easier to deviate from the normal sword&board playstyle of DkS1. On my first play through, I never once equipped a shield
-A metric fuckton of replayablity

Plus, they sorta redeemed themselves with that kick-ass DLC trilogy. Level design, boss design (not the challenge route shit), and new items in those were top notch.

EDIT: Also, I should mention DkS2 sporting a stable FPS.
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:10 pm

also had a simpler weapon upgrade system that made sense

seriously wtf was dks1 thinking
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Let's not whitewash DS2's problems by ignoring them. DS2 did a lot of stuff that improved over DS1, and fixed problems the first game had but they did a lot more that took away from it.
-With the emphasis on iframes, as well as the poor decision to tie it to a stat you level up, it is no longer important to know how to roll, only when to roll
-Enemy tracking is absurd, attacks are no longer restricted by the animation (such as a black knight starting a lunge, and having a specific range to complete that lunge with), if an enemy starts an attack, most attacks will function as if the enemy is standing on a lazy susan, they will freely rotate to ensure that it hits you, this is particularly frustrating against larger enemies such as trolls or black dragon knights, whose range ensures that there is no longer such a thing as dodging an attack, only phasing through it with iframes. Don't even get me started on the fire salamanders endless spinning.
-Additionally, rolls were reworked entirely and in the worst way possible. The game engine registers your hitbox as being in the exact spot you start the roll, until the animation is completed, with a set amount of the frames (the iframes) dedicated you you being invincible, hence why it's so common to roll away from something, but because the attack came at the tail end of the roll, you get snapped back to your starting position and get your shit pushed in, meaning there wasn't even a point in rolling.
-Enemy stamina was removed, rather, enemies have tenuous restrictions on how much they attack based on their AI, but it is not consistent, and it is possible to trigger an enemy into an endless attack loop, most notably the black dragon knights with the greathammers.
-Poise was removed in any meaningful way, primarily in that if you are not beginning an animation (attack or roll) then any attack will stun you, including a broken sword hilt against your full smelter demon armor. It was also nerfed when it comes to actual animations, the difference in poise damage between a small dagger and a greathammer is actually quite small, to the point where it doesn't matter anymore. It's also impossible to break an enemies poise until you've taken out a certain percentage of their health bar, meaning there isn't an actual poise system for enemies, just simply an animation trigger once they reach a certain amount of health.
-Soul Memory. I shouldn't have to explain this one.
-An emphasis on "People like Souls games because they're difficult" and then responding as such, leading to rooms full of flamberge knights, or filling a boss room with mobs, a la capra demon on crack. Or five gargoyles.
-Enemies stop respawning after you've killed them 12 times
-Shockwaves
-Shoddy visual design is a near constant, making shoddy texturework blatant and dissatisfying.
-Shoddy world design is wholly constant, removing the wonder of exploring a dead kingdom, and replacing it with exploring corridor A, and corridor B, and corridor C, and magic volcano fortress in the clouds reached by elevator from a windmill.
-Ridiculous requirements for covenant-exclusive items, normally in the range of "go kill 150 people online in this very specific situation". It shouldn't take 80 hours of sole dedication to the task in order to get the Vanquishers Seal.
-Many armor sets and weapons being tied to farming enemies (the ones that disappear after 12 times) in a capacity that is literally 14x as many sets as DS1, where most were found in appropriate locations in the game world. (129 armor pieces being exclusive to enemy farming vs. DS1's 9)
-Durability being messed up.

Dark Souls 2 is fun, I wouldn't have played so much of it if it wasn't, but criticizing people for being wary that DS3 will be on it's level, and not DS1's level, is just foolish. DS1 was a much more satisfying game, even with sections like Lost Izalith, because DS2 turned around and made areas that are just as bad.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Hardest boss in DS2 covetous demon right guys
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
KatanaRama

Post by KatanaRama » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:30 pm

bump

Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't mean to get hype or anything, but I'm pretty fucking hype.

Better quality: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_dark_ ... 31_en.html
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Looks like they're amping up the fight speed to more Bloodborne speeds, actually looks pretty cool.

Waiting for confirmation of stronk. Bloodborne had little in the way of stronk so I've heard.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:38 pm

had like 3 stronk, but they were all insanely fun to use

i take back any previous comments this game looks fucking amazing get hype
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 am

16 minutes of gameplay

first boss

looks like DS1 + Bloodborne, very hype c
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
KatanaRama

Post by KatanaRama » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:13 am

From what i've seen i'm really just worried about the animations. They looks too much like in Dark souls 1 (all choppy and shit). But throwing item animations look good and fast so maybe they'll be actually viable for pvp this time around.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 am

Honestly think Dark Souls 1 had better animations more or less. The game looks like Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne got thrown into a blender and Miyazaki hit the puree switch.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Pentagram.J2 wrote:Honestly think Dark Souls 1 had better animations more or less. The game looks like Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne got thrown into a blender and Miyazaki hit the puree switch.
I was thinking the exact same thing, I'm seeing design motif's of Bloodborne, levels that remind me of Boletaria, and overall handling that feels like Dark Souls.

And it's giving me a raging erection.